Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 27, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #4,621 of 6,468
Last night I replaced the OEM HD800S single-ended cable with the OEM HD800S balanced cable so I could try the balanced drive on the Jotunheim. A subtle but noticeable improvement was heard in the dynamics, especially the bass which seems to hit with slightly more authority now. I also hear an improvement in the layering and separation of sounds. I think this improvement seals the deal for me with the Jot, as there is no other alternative apart from Mjolnir 2 or Ragnarok if I want to have balanced drive.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #4,622 of 6,468
Last night I replaced the OEM HD800S single-ended cable with the OEM HD800S balanced cable so I could try the balanced drive on the Jotunheim. A subtle but noticeable improvement was heard in the dynamics, especially the bass which seems to hit with slightly more authority now. I also hear an improvement in the layering and separation of sounds. I think this improvement seals the deal for me with the Jot, as there is no other alternative apart from Mjolnir 2 or Ragnarok if I want to have balanced drive.

I've been seriously considering the same issues and went the other direction to Mjolnir 2 for the tubes with my HD800. With the soon to be released Vidar amp I'll have tubes or SS in my preamp. Still no remote but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #4,623 of 6,468

Are you using balanced input? Is that recommended to maximise the benefit of the balanced output to the cans? I'm curious cuz that was suggested for my previous amp the Taurus MK2. They called it a full-balanced topology if I"m not mistaken.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #4,624 of 6,468
Are you using balanced input? Is that recommended to maximise the benefit of the balanced output to the cans? I'm curious cuz that was suggested for my previous amp the Taurus MK2. They called it a full-balanced topology if I"m not mistaken.

I don't yet have a balanced DAC so am just using the single-ended outputs from my Bifrost 4490 into Jot. From what I have read from previous posts, you still get sonic improvement on Jot by using the balanced headphone output even if you use the single-ended input. However it is course reasonable to assume that maximum sonic benefit will be obtained if all parts of the chain are balanced.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #4,625 of 6,468
I don't yet have a balanced DAC so am just using the single-ended outputs from my Bifrost 4490 into Jot. From what I have read from previous posts, you still get sonic improvement on Jot by using the balanced headphone output even if you use the single-ended input. However it is course reasonable to assume that maximum sonic benefit will be obtained if all parts of the chain are balanced.

Thanks. I guessed as much that the question has been raised before in this thread. I'll try to read up and see what everyone says. But you're right, if the design is balanced all the way through, it should sound best when we go balance in and out.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #4,626 of 6,468
Might just be the recording if you don't hear anything when nothing is playing.
He,he,he........ Yeah, it pretty much has to be how the SPL of the recording was set when the recording was mastered !

You'd be pretty surprised at the amount of recorded music where even having a "low noisefloor" was even realistically a consideration that was part of recording decisions that were made !

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,627 of 6,468
He,he,he........ Yeah, it pretty much has to be how the SPL of the recording was set when the recording was mastered !

You'd be pretty surprised at the amount of recorded music where even having a "low noisefloor" was even realistically a consideration that was part of recording decisions that were made !

I'm starting to strongly believe this is the issue. I stated quite a few posts back that I don't hear it on the DFR (portable) ......until I cranked up the volume some more. It doesn't matter what device as I'm hearing it on pretty much everything. That's what's surprising that I'm so into headphones now, I'm finding out most recorded music sucks with all the hiss and noise you hear once you have any type of volume. Looking for nirvana without taking out a second mortgage..... but??

Ignorant question.....does it really matter how much you spend on an amp or DAC to rid all the noise-floor? Isn't it more in the lines of cleaning up your power? Lose USB? .....or just dealing with it because of how it was recorded?

I guess I'm learning and believing that you should get some good mid level cans with a decent amp and a better DAC to get really solid results. Yes? No?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #4,628 of 6,468
I'm starting to strongly believe this is the issue. I stated quite a few posts back that I don't hear it on the DFR (portable) ......until I cranked up the volume some more. It doesn't matter what device as I'm hearing it on pretty much everything. That's what's surprising that I'm so into headphones now, I'm finding out most recorded music sucks with all the hiss and noise you hear once you have any type of volume. Looking for nirvana without taking out a second mortgage..... but??

Ignorant question.....does it really matter how much you spend on an amp or DAC to rid all the noise-floor? Isn't it more in the lines of cleaning up your power? Lose USB? .....or just dealing with it because of how it was recorded?

I guess I'm learning and believing that you should get some good mid level cans with a decent amp and a better DAC to get really solid results. Yes? No?
There aren't really any 'Dumb' or 'Ignorant' questions about "How much you should spend" on Anything; It's really just a matter of allowing your personal experience level to guide you along with where your comfort level of spending $$$ will take you after you find the answers to what you find puzzling ! Naturally, it's always a good idea to test "the Waters" before taking a flying leap in.

Take all the advice you get from anyone (present company included) with a grain of salt . (Yeah.... I know I'm tiptoeing around making a definitive statement on what to do;but my Brain Cells are still warming up)

I tend to think that the 2 major reasons for hearing 'Noise' from the music we listen to can usually be attributed to 1 (or both) of 2 things ! The first I've mentioned already, that being that it exists in the recording already (That you don't hear it in a lot of modern digital recordings has more to do with 'Digital Compression' than anything else). I'm personally not thrilled about the High Sensitivity rating of most Headphones these days. I haven't done the portable rig listening 'thing' for awhile now (I would only do so if I could strap my Equitech 1.5Q BPT & Metrum Acoustics Hex DAC to my back; That's not happening !). I have absolutely no complaints about any type of 'Noise' ,my complaint is finding the absolutely 'dialed in/Dynamically correct' volume setting from my Amp*. I can get it close,but it's somewhat a PITA to hear what I know exists on most of the recorded music I own. *(Not a Jot; But I'm considering one mostly due to it's low gain capability & the High Sensitivity of my NO; I like these cans a lot hate the stupid Sensitivity)

Hmmm.... after mentioning all this , I personally believe that the amp or DAC that just about anyone happens to be using have very little bearing on the 'Noise' that most people object to. These components aren't creating it ! The noise is in the source signal path. My Equitech BPT can address the below the 'floor' noise that was generated in the recorded signal & became part of what was recorded (because some noise from a mic cable or other random electrical noise) at the time of the recording process) because it is filtering out this 'added' part of the musical signal. DACs & amps aren't able to operate on this type of signal level. I'll repeat myself & say the fault lies mostly on most recorded music (Which for personal 'Philosophical Reasoning' I absolutely refuse to listen to for technical reasons alone .... nevermind my even mentioning what I'm musically interested in listening to; Next to no 'Muse' in too much of what's referred to as Music these days

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #4,629 of 6,468
There aren't really any 'Dumb' or 'Ignorant' questions about "How much you should spend" on Anything; It's really just a matter of allowing your personal experience level to guide you along with where your comfort level of spending $$$ will take you after you find the answers to what you find puzzling ! Naturally, it's always a good idea to test "the Waters" before taking a flying leap in.

Take all the advice you get from anyone (present company included) with a grain of salt . (Yeah.... I know I'm tiptoeing around making a definitive statement on what to do;but my Brain Cells are still warming up)

I tend to think that the 2 major reasons for hearing 'Noise' from the music we listen to can usually be attributed to 1 (or both) of 2 things ! The first I've mentioned already, that being that it exists in the recording already (That you don't hear it in a lot of modern digital recordings has more to do with 'Digital Compression' than anything else). I'm personally not thrilled about the High Sensitivity rating of most Headphones these days. I haven't done the portable rig listening 'thing' for awhile now (I would only do so if I could strap my Equitech 1.5Q BPT & Metrum Acoustics Hex DAC to my back; That's not happening !). I have absolutely no complaints about any type of 'Noise' ,my complaint is finding the absolutely 'dialed in/Dynamically correct' volume setting from my Amp*. I can get it close,but it's somewhat a PITA to hear what I know exists on most of the recorded music I own. *(Not a Jot; But I'm considering one mostly due to it's low gain capability & the High Sensitivity of my NO; I like these cans a lot hate the stupid Sensitivity)

Hmmm.... after mentioning all this , I personally believe that the amp or DAC that just about anyone happens to be using have very little bearing on the 'Noise' that most people object to. These components aren't creating it ! The noise is in the source signal path. My Equitech BPT can address the below the 'floor' noise that was generated in the recorded signal & became part of what was recorded (because some noise from a mic cable or other random electrical noise) at the time of the recording process) because it is filtering out this 'added' part of the musical signal. DACs & amps aren't able to operate on this type of signal level. I'll repeat myself & say the fault lies mostly on most recorded music (Which for personal 'Philosophical Reasoning' I absolutely refuse to listen to for technical reasons alone .... nevermind my even mentioning what I'm musically interested in listening to; Next to no 'Muse' in too much of what's referred to as Music these days.

I appreciate your insight. I haven't been into this hobby that long but I tend to agree with just about everything you said.
There's really nothing more to do at this point other then to deal with the crappy recordings. You NEVER hear all the background noise listening to speakers like you do under phones.
Good stuff man!

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #4,630 of 6,468
Brand new Jot owner here. Knowing all the things I heard about it, I braced myself for the first listen. No brightness. No noise. Just clean, clear beautiful detailed music. Love it. Will give it some time to burn-in, oh I mean settle down, before really assessing what it's like.

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #4,631 of 6,468
Brand new Jot owner here. Knowing all the things I heard about it, I braced myself for the first listen. No brightness. No noise. Just clean, clear beautiful detailed music. Love it. Will give it some time to burn-in, oh I mean settle down, before really assessing what it's like.
You didn't actually "Do a backup" & change your wording from 'burn in' to 'settle down' did you ?

The passive components DO actually go through some physical changes (well the parts such as transformers & capacitors;slight as the changes might be) after a few cycles of Powering ON/OFF as there is a difference between how immediate/direct 'energy' sounds as opposed to 'stored/discharged' energy sounds as the signal moves through the circuit. Yeah, I know it's a weird concept to get your head around , by the same token though talking about things 'settling down' is just a 'Re-Badge' of the term Burn in. Actually , just a dumbed down non explanation of why an amp sounds a bit different after some time of use.

Then there's the even Dumber explanation that we've just gotten "Used to how the amp sounds". He,he.he..... I'm continuously more puzzled by many listeners thought processing than how my Audio equipment works for me !

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #4,632 of 6,468
You didn't actually "Do a backup" & change your wording from 'burn in' to 'settle down' did you ?

The passive components DO actually go through some physical changes (well the parts such as transformers & capacitors;slight as the changes might be) after a few cycles of Powering ON/OFF as there is a difference between how immediate/direct 'energy' sounds as opposed to 'stored/discharged' energy sounds as the signal moves through the circuit. Yeah, I know it's a weird concept to get your head around , by the same token though talking about things 'settling down' is just a 'Re-Badge' of the term Burn in. Actually , just a dumbed down non explanation of why an amp sounds a bit different after some time of use.

Then there's the even Dumber explanation that we've just gotten "Used to how the amp sounds". He,he.he..... I'm continuously more puzzled by many listeners thought processing than how my Audio equipment works for me !

If I was someone who knows anything about this stuff, I would find it quite obvious I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground as I'm learning and quickly may I add. So now that this is outta the way, statement then question.
Differing opinions from what I've read on powering up and down. I've now had my Jot for about 3 months. With that said....

So is it best to leave the Jot up and running all the time or power down daily or periodically?
I also read that for DAC's you should leave powered up all the time. Or is it the same concept as an amp?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #4,633 of 6,468

Haha. Well I did meant burn-in. Then I remembered there are some don't-go-there topics in this forum and burn-in is one of them. The other big one obviously is cables. (I hear pitchforks rattling just typing the word.)

All my years of hi-fi and then head-fi tell me burn-in matters and makes a difference and it's very evident to my ears. Perhaps most here think so too, for different reasons such as those you described. Maybe the naysaying is limited to cans, but to avoid another groundhog day, I'll just insert the fail-safe qualifier: YMMV.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #4,634 of 6,468
By the way I'm on to my 12th hour of listening (I did stop to feed myself, circulate blood flow, etc.) and the Jot keeps getting better. Call it new toy syndrome or whatever, but I'm hearing pitch black background, details I never knew was there, and pin-sharp separation. Transparency and accuracy are top-notch.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #4,635 of 6,468
If I was someone who knows anything about this stuff, I would find it quite obvious I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground as I'm learning and quickly may I add. So now that this is outta the way, statement then question.
Differing opinions from what I've read on powering up and down. I've now had my Jot for about 3 months. With that said....

So is it best to leave the Jot up and running all the time or power down daily or periodically?
I also read that for DAC's you should leave powered up all the time. Or is it the same concept as an amp?
As far as the Jot (& just about any Headphone amp is concerned) it really comes down to being the Users choice ,particularly due to the fact it's a SS amp. SS amps generally attain a fuller more dynamic sound to them after they been on at least a half hour or so (If you're talking about starting from an amp that's been off for a few hours). It's not going to hurt anything to leave it on, but get into the habit of lowering the volume completely everytime you've finished listening. In truth it's probably not necessary to leave it on constantly , it depends on how far apart your listening sessions tend to be (& how willing you are to listen to your music before the amp's reached a state of 'Thermal Stasis': & is giving you a fuller dynamic renderering of the music being played)

As far as DACs are concerned I leave my Auraliti Pk100 DFP & Metrum Hex DAC on at all times, as Digital music needs to turned on & "forgotten that there was a means to turn off" if you are 'serious' about trying to think that you're listening to 'Music' without the constant artifacts that tell you it's 'Digital' first. If your Jot is a 'Damp' (Or as I call them a "confused identity Audio component") I would leave it on.

My Equitech 1.5Q BPT conditioner allows me to disregard a lot of my 'listening rules' ,as it is just ridiculously exceptional at serving up whatever the music I listen to needs to sound like real music being played in realistically proportioned recording locations (mostly live perspective). Unfortunately, I paid about 4x the cost of the Jot. for it used & I don't believe it even available anymore. Long explanation/description short , I would probably be unable to listen to my music without being able to leave the Digital side of things (at least) on at all times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back