Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #22,681 of 145,588
eitr.JPG

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #22,682 of 145,588
... still think one Vidar gets louder with Freya and Kef ls50"S than mono. .Mono gets plenty loud so it doesnt really matter
When you bridge 2 amps each sees half the load impedance and as LS50s drop below 2 Ohm effective impedance each Vidar half is pumping into less than 1 Ohm at times - be interesting to see what power (current limit) Vidar (as one channel) can output into < 1 Ohm. :thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #22,683 of 145,588
When you bridge 2 amps each sees half the load impedance and as LS50s drop below 2 Ohm effective impedance each Vidar half is pumping into less than 1 Ohm at times - be interesting to see what power (current limit) Vidar (as one channel) can output into < 1 Ohm. :thinking:
So this is why stereo mode with one Vidar can get louder than two Vidars in mono mode with the Kefls50's?

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #22,684 of 145,588
@Jason Stoddard what are the chances we'll see Black Eitr (Blacr?) before too long?

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #22,686 of 145,588
So in the quest to put together something without breaking the bank, I plan to stick with my mimby and get a saga/vidar rather than going to monoblocks. I've heard some people here saying that monoblocks are required to run LS50s, but I'm wondering if that's really true for a 12'x20' room. I don't have those speakers yet either but they are what I'm eyeing up to pair with the new amp. Has anyone been listening to LS50s with a single vidar? 100W into 8 ohms really not enough for a living room?

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #22,687 of 145,588
So in the quest to put together something without breaking the bank, I plan to stick with my mimby and get a saga/vidar rather than going to monoblocks. I've heard some people here saying that monoblocks are required to run LS50s, but I'm wondering if that's really true for a 12'x20' room. I don't have those speakers yet either but they are what I'm eyeing up to pair with the new amp. Has anyone been listening to LS50s with a single vidar? 100W into 8 ohms really not enough for a living room?

You can always add a second Vidar later if you find that one isn't enough.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #22,688 of 145,588

I haven't heard Vidar, but have heard LS-50 with a few other amplifiers (Rega Elex-R, Cyrus ONE, Arcam A29) when I was looking for an amp upgrade, and all of those drive the KEFs without any trouble, so I would imagine a single Vidar would be more than fine. I nearly bought one of the three amps, but decided to try Schiit Saga, and I love it. Vidar next when funds allow.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #22,690 of 145,588
I have found a single Vidar to be more powerful than running monoblocks with the KefLs50's

Plenty of power with just one VIdar.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #22,691 of 145,588
It says something about Jason and crew's business model/marketing/philosophy that when its all said and done choosing a pair of speakers becomes the most difficult part of purchasing a new two channel rig. I kicked down for a Freya easy enough when it first came out. Last week it was two Vidar and a Yddgrasil ( gen5 bonus for waiting)
So here I am fence bound by a group of transducers. Push me. Please. By miracle of the maker, but more likely a shitload of hard work, the release coincided with a wad of disposable income but not enough to rationalize a pair of MM 1.7 and a pair more bottom heavy and meaty, as I had imagined.

So all this begs the question... Phonograph(?), are you kidding! No offense to Sr. Moffit but a turn table is not a device "...for all the music you have."
It's almost as if I'm afraid to type the words. If Jason is reading this he has already bargain to cringe. He knows deep down in his soul this resonates, as if trapped in a wooden cabinet, a deep 20hz desire, to cross back over into that world from whence he came, of sawdust and glue, to once again renew, that dream gone silent like a flat frequency response, it's time Brother. It's time to build the ultimate box, two holes or three it matters not, it's time Schiit got off the pot and built the outhouse!

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #22,692 of 145,588
Q Acoustics Concept 40 is a solid all-around speaker within its price range. I'd also take a look at the Audiovector QR3 if I were you.

It looks solid. I'm considering the Spendor A6R as well. I'm not sure if anyone has any other speaker recommendations for classical music.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #22,693 of 145,588
I'm used to the old low resolution site. If you're ever in Florida you know where to stop in for a beer.

Ok, get two and use your Rag as a pre.

For all reading this thread: Most definitely give them room to breathe. I'm used to hi bias mode on my JC1's so that's ok. My initial feeling is Jason would sell more of these with a 1 placed in front of the 6! Impressive. Not the same depth behind the speakers I'm used to but wow! Jason, if you're out there take a bow. Going to live with them before saying more and the other amps I've tried. Buy two, go balanced and don't look back.:beerchug:

Since you showed the picture of the Parasound JC1 and the Vidar:

I would love to hear your impressions of the Vidar as it compares to a monster like the JC1

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #22,694 of 145,588
Well, it's a generation thing. If Vidars were bigger and had big glowing romantically lit meters they would be on display along with the lava lamp. The music would come from a Revox open reel with warm glowing meters......:beerchug::L3000: and a nixie tube clock.

My urge for big VU meters (or watt meters to be correct) was just too strong so I caved in about 18 months ago and treated myself to this:
Yamaha-A-S3000.jpg

And FWIW there are no lava lamps in my listening room, but I do have a TEAC A-3440 reel-to-reel (with FOUR VU meters!!!) and a pair of crackled glass vases filled with LED fairy lights which reflect beautifully against the piano black gloss side panels of the A-S3000 and BK XXLS400 subwoofers they adorn. I like to mix old and new. Tastefully vulgar is how I would describe it... :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back