Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 24, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #22,652 of 145,764
The only consumer equipment that needs VU meters are recorders. Otherwise they are distracting toys that only add to the cost of gear. Bah Humbug to power meters.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #22,653 of 145,764
The Schiit system is sounding fantastic.

Windows 10 laptop running JRiver version 23 - Schiit Eitr - Gungnir Multibit - Freya with Sylvania jan chs 6sn7gt vt-231 tubes - single Vidar - Tekton Impact speakers.

This system sounds so good that my Yamaha A-S2100 is going into my secondary system in the office. For those that have not heard a Yamaha's high end A-S2100 this is high praise, since it sounds great, but the Freya / Vidar combo sounds even better.

I would like to thank Winders for the Sylvania jan chs 6sn7gt vt-231 recommendation.

Be careful, some rambunctious individuals hereabouts will insist you need a second Vidar. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Personally I have put my Vidar purchase on hold until the Fall. I am doing a different upgrade first- I am buying a new listening room! It comes with a nice house attached, and I need to focus on this before going dual Vidar.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #22,654 of 145,764
Be careful, some rambunctious individuals hereabouts will insist you need a second Vidar. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Personally I have put my Vidar purchase on hold until the Fall. I am doing a different upgrade first- I am buying a new listening room! It comes with a nice house attached, and I need to focus on this before going dual Vidar.
In a similar situation. Got a trip to Japan coming up. Need a new car and setting up a new business. Twin Vidars will have to wait.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #22,655 of 145,764
In a similar situation. Got a trip to Japan coming up. Need a new car and setting up a new business. Twin Vidars will have to wait.
Just for fun you must go to Shinjuku and visit LABI electronics. Don't take your credit card. :)

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #22,657 of 145,764
The Schiit system is sounding fantastic.

Windows 10 laptop running JRiver version 23 - Schiit Eitr - Gungnir Multibit - Freya with Sylvania jan chs 6sn7gt vt-231 tubes - single Vidar - Tekton Impact speakers.

This system sounds so good that my Yamaha A-S2100 is going into my secondary system in the office. For those that have not heard a Yamaha's high end A-S2100 this is high praise, since it sounds great, but the Freya / Vidar combo sounds even better.

I would like to thank Winders for the Sylvania jan chs 6sn7gt vt-231 recommendation.

You're welcome! With my 2 channel setup using Freya and a single Vidar, I am really enjoying the sound I am getting from my Tekton Double Impact speakers. How do you like your speakers?

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #22,659 of 145,764
I am running single ended - Saga into Vidar into Totem Sttaf speakers. This is my first foray into separate pre and power amps. Having upgraded from a Cambridge Audio 640a integrated amp, the difference is really quite astonishing. All aspects of my speakers have improved with the Saga and Vidar - soundstage has increased, highs are clearer and lows have greatly increased. I feel that my speakers are finally breathing and playing to their potential. For around $1,000 (Saga and Vidar) the improvement over the $500 Cambridge integrated is a giant step. If anyone is wondering whether to take the leap, i would highly recommend it. This step up is plenty for the small room they are in (10'x15') and my moderate to small-sized speakers.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #22,660 of 145,764
Ordered Tuesday morning and still no shipping. Getting a bit antsy to listen to mono blocked Vidars after the impressions shared so far

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #22,661 of 145,764
Upgrade to the Sierra 2's.

I was actually looking at upgrading to their (Ascend Acoustics) new Lunas. For a nearfield desktop application the Sierra 2s are a bit large.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #22,662 of 145,764
I am doing the whole shabang. 2 Vidars and one freya. Just waiting for more reviews. This will be my last setup before I hit the dirtbox.
That's what I said when I bought my McIntosh integrated. :) It's now being replaced by a Gumby, Freya and 2 Vidars. I no longer make statements that I'm done. I'll be done when the money's gone :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #22,664 of 145,764
Monoblocked is very very good. I compared stereo and monoblocked and got spoiled with mono.
These are going to replace my A21 Halo in my living room rig. What'd you leave when you went to the Vidars? I feel like even if the sound doesn't top the Halo, they'll be better than my smaller amps in my office and bedroom rigs.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #22,665 of 145,764
These are going to replace my A21 Halo in my living room rig. What'd you leave when you went to the Vidars? I feel like even if the sound doesn't top the Halo, they'll be better than my smaller amps in my office and bedroom rigs.
Nuprime Ida-8 A+D integrated.

My favorite amp in my house is the Rogue Cronos Magnum II Integrated tube amp and I believe the Vidars have better grip,resolution than the Rogue amp which is quite good imo.The Rogue amp is more powerful as I suspect your A21 would be compared to 2 Vidars in monoblock mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back