Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,396 of 7,049
Honestly, at the time I didn't know there was a MB version of the Gungnir. I'm actually hitting up the Schiitr tomorrow so I can decide if it is worth the upgrade to MB. About the Yggy, I just remember enjoying the sound of the Gungnir more. Maybe Yggy was too cold for me? Or maybe it was the Ragnarok I wasn't feeling? I'll give Yggy a listen again tomorrow too.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #4,397 of 7,049
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #4,398 of 7,049
Just got back from the Schiitr. Got a chance to try products with the USB Gen 5 upgrade. Just a heads up for MacOS and iOS users, USB Gen 5 doesn't play well with them. When connecting with the DACs with upgrade, there was no sound even though the player was in "Play". I tried disconnecting and re-connecting cables and restarting programs. Occasionally, I'll get it to work on my iPhone, but it won't be consistent. I told the Schiit attendant about it and he tried to troubleshoot, but no solutions thus far. I'm hoping this is just an isolated incident?

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #4,399 of 7,049
How's the non-multibit version of the gungnir sound? I see it uses the AKM 4399 Dac? Going by numbers alone, that sounds worse the 4490 that's in the much cheaper Modi and Fulla 2 units. Am I wrong in that?

I was thinking of getting the standard Gungnir for $850 rather than the Bifrost Multi for $600 and then getting the Multibit upgrade down the line.

Unfortunately, I was not able to spend enough time with the Gumby as I would've liked because of the USB Gen 5 issues, so I still can't make a good comparison to the D-S version. From the little that I heard though, I think the D-S has a signature close to Bimby, where vocals are more forward. Gumby's got a signature that's even through the spectrum (like the Yggy imo). Vocals will blend in evenly with the instruments. I also think D-S has a warmer tilt compared to the MB. Not necessarily meaning MB is cold.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #4,400 of 7,049
Hello, I just bought the Gumby along with Jotunheim and Focal Elears. I have no experience with balanced setups. What xlr cables should be used from dac to amp? Is there a preferred cable or will cheapo ones be just as good? Also will I need a new balanced cord for the Focal Elears? Thanks

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4,401 of 7,049
What xlr cables should be used from dac to amp? Is there a preferred cable or will cheapo ones be just as good?
Schiit's own XLR cables are reasonably priced: http://schiit.com/products/pyst-cables
Also will I need a new balanced cord for the Focal Elears?
Get a balanced cable for the Elear if you want to run it in balanced mode. It is optional and don't need to do it, but the Jotunheim delivers higher power from its balanced outputs and you might get higher quality sound. Or it might not make a difference if the single-ended output is already adequate.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,402 of 7,049
Anyone doing the Gen 5 USB update? I sent my Gumby in today. Will post on impressions when I get it back.

I put my order in on release day, but I'm also going from DS to MB. I got my Gungnir used with USB Gen 1 and DS. I stole the USB Gen 2 from my Bimby. I've still not received notice to ship mine. I guess I'm at the end of the line since I'll need my board reprogrammed for MB.

I'll put the Gen 3 back in the Bimby, probably won't ship that in for upgrade, I'll wait for them to ship DIY or get Eitr. I may just get Eitr just because. If nothing else I can put it on SWMBO's stack. She's bot my Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber stack. I wonder if this could possibly trickle down to the Modi?

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #4,403 of 7,049
Anyone know where I can get a short 6 or 8 inch SPDIF Coaxial RCA cable?

Want to get the EITR for a secondary setup with a Modi Multibit... I already have a 1 foot cable ... just wanted a real short one

Not personally an 'expert', but I have read that one should consider a minimum length of 1.5 mtrs for S/PDIF coax to avoid 'reflections' on short lengths. I'm not sure in practice how this manifests itself, but thought it might be worth mentioning for your consideration...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #4,404 of 7,049
Have anyone compare Gungnir mb vs 2qute? My friend is selling 2qute and i´m not sure is it good deal. He ask 900€ about it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #4,405 of 7,049
Anyone doing the Gen 5 USB update? I sent my Gumby in today. Will post on impressions when I get it back.

I decided to wait, for now, but will be Very interested in impressions about the Gen 5 USB!

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #4,406 of 7,049
Just catching up and noticed some questions about Schiit DAC progression.
My progression was: BiFrost --> Gungnir --> Gungnir MB.
The first rig was BiFrost/Asgard2. Was very happy with it.
Then I decided to go balanced.
The second rig was Gungnir/Mjolnir1. Was very happy with it.
Then Schiit announced the MB technology...upgrade the Gungnir for $500. I jumped on it.
An amazing improvement in SQ. The MB technology is the real deal folks.
Nothing against the first two rigs, but I'm not looking back. To me, the Gungnir MB is perfect.
I've heard the Yggdrasil at HP meets around Nashville. It sounds great - perhaps a bit more resolving than the GMB (perhaps two bits, no pun intended).

IMO, the GMB is a great value for a superb DAC.

Hope this helps,
RCB

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #4,407 of 7,049
In case anybody is interested. I put the USB gen 5 upgrade to my Gumby. It's a pretty substantial upgrade. Had no idea what I was missing before the upgrade. Better resolution, dynamics, imaging. Didn't think that was possible.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #4,408 of 7,049
In case anybody is interested. I put the USB gen 5 upgrade to my Gumby. It's a pretty substantial upgrade. Had no idea what I was missing before the upgrade. Better resolution, dynamics, imaging. Didn't think that was possible.
I agree! I just got my Gumby back and am definitely hearing more details in my key demo tracks. Well worth the $150 upgrade cost plus 2-way shipping. Schiit turned it around door to door in a week. Very happy with it and nice to be on the same USB interface level as the Yggy now.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #4,409 of 7,049
I haven't gotten my Gumby yet because it's backordered but I read a review that ranked the inputs as follows in terms of SQ and I was wondering if anyone else here has had similar results.

BNC> RCA SPDIF>optical SPDIF>USB

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/schiit-gungnir-multibit-dac-meet-gumby/

I don't have a BNC output on my computer but this review leads me believe it would be a good upgrade. Thoughts?

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #4,410 of 7,049
I haven't gotten my Gumby yet because it's backordered but I read a review that ranked the inputs as follows in terms of SQ and I was wondering if anyone else here has had similar results.

BNC> RCA SPDIF>optical SPDIF>USB

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/schiit-gungnir-multibit-dac-meet-gumby/

I don't have a BNC output on my computer but this review leads me believe it would be a good upgrade. Thoughts?

I've not tried bnc or rca spdif. I couldn't tell the difference between USB and Optical when I was running the HDVA 600 in front of the Gumby. But now that I've got the Mainline ( superior amp by far ) it might be worth trying. I think I've still got my optical cable laying around will ping back tomorrow evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back