Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jul 25, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #827 of 3,226
I don't have a Freya (yet) but I am interested in the answer. I do have a cheap streak but on something this inexpensive I am more interested in the better solution than the cheapest solution. Ultimately, I cannot afford any one of them, but eventually I would like to have Freya and 2 Vidars to feed the MMGs in my computer workstation sound system. Either there or in the main system that currently has a dead preamp. The main system has seen very little use for some time, but I would like to get back to it some time.

J.P.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #828 of 3,226
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #830 of 3,226
Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I got my Freya+Vidar yesterday and those very socket savers today.
I agree with bmanone that they are snug. Also, they end up just below the top of Freya so you can't see the socket savers are there, but, given the tight fit, I do wonder how difficult it will be to get them out.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #831 of 3,226
I'm not to worried about getting them out, they should easily be removable with the cover off (will void warranty if not done by Schiit). These simple socket savers should easily outlast the 5yr warranty period. If I have to return the Freya for repair before then, I'll try to work (wiggle) the socket savers out from the top. If I can't I'll ask the service department to return them with the repaired unit. If the warranty period is over, I'll simply remove the cover first.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #833 of 3,226
I ordered these tubes on June 8th and received them today, June 12th! They were extremely well packed...the best I have ever seen. The tubes are labeled as are nice boxes they come in.

The clear Ken-Rad VT-231 tubes sounded great, too!

I would not hesitate to buy from that seller again.
I live in India and sent him/her couple of notes/message if he/she can ship to India (Local :) ) address and there is no response. Maybe weekend blues, will wait.

Yes I m new to this thread and recommendation from many Freya users and "Schiit Happened..." thread, to read this thread made me to read the whole thread (well skipped few comments etc but mostly read all), and came up until page 47 and I could not hold myself to write a few lines here.

So Far thanks to all who have done all the tube rolling and written your findings. I m new to tube usage (pre / amp) this thread is filed with super information ( i m sure other threads other than Freya might also be good, no harm to them, trying to be humble ) so that I can focus on where I can spend my monies.

Specific thanks to @winders and @belgiangenius for contributing in tube rolling and doing excellent job at it, its a commendable work in tube rolling which at least for me, saved lot of monies (I cannot do it from India even if i want and well low on budget too) and time spent on tube rolling is paramount. My English is limited for want of better words, to keep it simple, "truly appreciate it!" .

I can now focus in buying tubes you guys have come up with your own list, helps me greatly save $$ and time and I can choose what fits my budget

Thanks,
/Jnan
P.S: this note will appear on 56, but I will continue to read from 47 ...

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #834 of 3,226
Hi all, I'm pretty new to all this. I've upgraded to a hi-fi setup from my mid to low-fi one. I will have a Schiit Gumby and Jot once it arrives in the mail, and I have a new Focal Elear headphone. I will be running it all balanced with the source being my pc connected to Gumby via Gen 5 usb.

This is my first time having an external dac; before I'd control the volume through the computer with my mouse and I sit pretty far back from the PC and not at a desk and it worked out well. With me passing everything through to the Gumby now I don't think I'll be able to control the volume with my PC is that correct? It will not be practical for me to get up and down constantly to adjust the volume with the Jot so am I correct in thinking I need a preamp with remote control?

Since I'm running a balanced setup would it be optimal to buy a Freya? This is an expensive solution to just have remote volume control.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #835 of 3,226
Hi all, I'm pretty new to all this. I've upgraded to a hi-fi setup from my mid to low-fi one. I will have a Schiit Gumby and Jot once it arrives in the mail, and I have a new Focal Elear headphone. I will be running it all balanced with the source being my pc connected to Gumby via Gen 5 usb.

This is my first time having an external dac; before I'd control the volume through the computer with my mouse and I sit pretty far back from the PC and not at a desk and it worked out well. With me passing everything through to the Gumby now I don't think I'll be able to control the volume with my PC is that correct? It will not be practical for me to get up and down constantly to adjust the volume with the Jot so am I correct in thinking I need a preamp with remote control?

Since I'm running a balanced setup would it be optimal to buy a Freya? This is an expensive solution to just have remote volume control.

A remote control... and an awesome tube buffer to add some wonderful flavor to the Jot... i love my gumby / freya / jot combo with he-560 and hd650km. Source is a PC with Lynx E22.

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #836 of 3,226
Hi everybody.
I'm on holiday and my main occupation these past few days has been reading this thread.
Thanks for all valuable info!
A quick question for whoever wants to answer...
How do tou see Freya as pre in combination with a 250W Nord Acoustic Amp?

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-mp-nc250-stereo-power-amp

Anybody running something similar?

Speakers are ELAC UB5.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #837 of 3,226
Secondly, it seems to me, most people say that the buffer stage makes no real difference. I run my NP Tung sols in the buffer section, and just roll the gain stage. Is that correct, or should I be rolling all 4?
Secondly, it seems to me, most people say that the buffer stage makes no real difference. I run my NP Tung sols in the buffer section, and just roll the gain stage. Is that correct, or should I be rolling all 4?

In my own experience with the Freya, tubes in the output or "buffer" stage have as much sonic impact as tubes in the gain stage. One stage doesn’t dominate the other.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #838 of 3,226
In my own experience with the Freya, tubes in the output or "buffer" stage have as much sonic impact as tubes in the gain stage. One stage doesn’t dominate the other.

Thanks,

Don't remember saying it 4 times though... :)

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #839 of 3,226
Sorry buddy--I didn't intend to make my point 4 times over

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #840 of 3,226
Tube newbie requesting confirmation...OR...When Good Tubes Go Bad...

Though I have read about what generally/often(?) occurs sonic-ly when tubes begin to go bad...I wish to confirm that prior to shutting my Freya down and pulling one more tubes...

For the last week or two, I have heard intermittent hum, (60 Hz...?), emanating from my right speaker, and the "on"-hum duration is increasing relative to the "non-hum duration"...unclear as to whether that hum has become louder, however, the frequency and duration of those periods has increased. Prior to testing my system by re-routing everything through my Ragnarok, I simply switched over to the active-buffered preamp. stage, which eliminated the hum... :) ...

So, might assume that indeed, that hum was the sonic indicator that at least one of my tubes was/is dying...?...Should I be able to determine which tube(s) are dying by noting which either no longer glow, or in which the glow is diminished?...Or must I begin to play "musical-tubes" by moving them about, and determining how and where the hum sounds/goes...?...

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Tube compliment: Tung Sols, new manufacturer, in "critical" gain stage Original Schiit Issue in the buffer stage...

Oh, and please jog my memory...gain stage vs. buffer stage location and Left channel vs. Right channel location?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back