Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Jul 4, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #556 of 578
  It makes you wonder if the Wyrd is cleaning up the signal to be more accurate, or if it is coloring the sound. Whatever it is doing, there is a difference, and I've went back and forth so many times to try to determine if I prefer it or not. 

In my system it seems to clear away a bit of hash that overlays the music.  My wife noticed it so I got the Wyrd and it cleaned it up nicely.

By hash, it's like a very low level of static that you can't really hear but makes the music sound a bit irritating.  Now I can listen all night - which brings its own problems :wink: !

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #557 of 578
I like it in my system.  Seems to allow me to hear certain things better: for example when evaluating various crossfeed plugins in foobar2000.

Desktop > WASAPI Event > foobar2000 > Wyrd > Modi 2 > Polaris > HD580 or HD600

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #559 of 578
Help needed.

I have a stoner acoustics EGD and I have just bought a Schiit WYRD
When plugged into my chain my Dac isn't getting any power as its a USB powered DAC.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get them to work together . Do I need an extra gadget to get the power flowing through to the Stoner DAC as its usb powered.. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #560 of 578
You do not need extra gadgets. The connections should look like this: from your source you go with the USB cable to Shiit Wyrd. From Shiit Wyrd you go with another USB cable to your DAC. Shiit Wyrd hat its own power supply and you have the possibility to switch Wyrd on and off with the switch on the back of the unit. It should work - I have two Wyrds at home and both of them are working without problems.

If it still doesn't work, first thing that you have to check is the power supply for Wyrd - whether it delivers DC power to the unit.

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #561 of 578
  You do not need extra gadgets. The connections should look like this: from your source you go with the USB cable to Shiit Wyrd. From Shiit Wyrd you go with another USB cable to your DAC. Shiit Wyrd hat its own power supply and you have the possibility to switch Wyrd on and off with the switch on the back of the unit. It should work - I have two Wyrds at home and both of them are working without problems.

If it still doesn't work, first thing that you have to check is the power supply for Wyrd - whether it delivers DC power to the unit.

yeah I have tried all that. The Wyrd works fine when plugged into my dragonfly dac . But my stoner acoustics EGD dac which runs off usb power works fine when plugged directly into my computer, just not when plugged in via the WYRD. I have swapped a few emails with Nick at Schiit and he cant work it out either. I am really stuck

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #562 of 578
Has anyone used a Wyrd to power a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite? The PUC2 draws about 800ma but the Wyrd is only specified at 500ma. I just ordered a PUC2 Lite and I'm wondering if I can use my existing Wyrd or whether I should order a separate power supply.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #563 of 578
  Has anyone used a Wyrd to power a Yellowtec PUC2 Lite? The PUC2 draws about 800ma but the Wyrd is only specified at 500ma. I just ordered a PUC2 Lite and I'm wondering if I can use my existing Wyrd or whether I should order a separate power supply.

I have a Wyrd that I used in front of my W4S uLink.  It was fine but the uLink was much better with its own power supply.  And that was with a no-name LPS from China so I can only imagine what a more audiophile-like LPS would do for it.

If you have the option of separate power I would go that route.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #564 of 578
yeah I have tried all that. The Wyrd works fine when plugged into my dragonfly dac . But my stoner acoustics EGD dac which runs off usb power works fine when plugged directly into my computer, just not when plugged in via the WYRD. I have swapped a few emails with Nick at Schiit and he cant work it out either. I am really stuck

I had an EGD and the Wyrd never worked for me.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #565 of 578
I picked up a Wyrd to go with my Jotunheim + LCD-2s. 

For those of you who have used Flux (or night mode now, on Apple mobile devices) - this is my best analogy. In the same way you can feel the stress come off of your eyes as flux tints your screen, the Wyrd relaxes my ears from noise that you don't realize is that aggravating...until it's gone.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #567 of 578
It doesn't do galvanic isolation for USB -- it's actually fairly tricky for USB 2.0 @ 480Mbps. You can get ICs from Analog Devices that will isolate USB 2.0, up to 12Mbps. This is mostly due to the physical layer of USB -- it was developed at a time where a single differential-pair was used for bi-directional data transmission, meaning that you need some amount of intelligence on both ends to figure out when it's your turn to transmit.

USB 3.0 adopts a more PCI Express-like style based on SerDes, where there's a dedicated Tx and Rx pair. From my POV, it's actually simpler to build a galvanicall isolated USB 3.0 system than it is a USB 2.0 system, at the full rated speed.

tl;dr -- not galvanically isolated

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #569 of 578
Just bought one of these. Hoping for the best with my setup.

May 8, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #570 of 578
Not sure to understand what the Wyrd does, but I have a question: Is it possible that a USB port create problem with the sound, like a small subtil change in rythm that leave the impression the music is slightly offbeat? And if that can be the case, will the Wyrd fix that? I use bimby as my DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back