Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
May 12, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #257 of 452
350. Preferable 100 to 200.

For an amplifier only I'd suggest checking out the Cayin C5, if you're looking for an amplifier/dac combo the Opus #11 is really really good.

Hope this helps :)

May 16, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #260 of 452
I think I browsed all the thread but didn't find any comparison between S8 and Xperia Z5 or XZ: anyone would do it?

I never found Z5 to sound as good as Samsung S7/iPhone7 and also now the S8 (Exynos). I could only ever use the Z5 to feed a DAC (Mojo/DFR) when listening with my SE846's.

With the S8 I do listen to it with the SE846's head-phone out, the Z5 always sounded veiled/muffled by comparison. Still use with DAC when listening inside (or with my Fiio X5III) but for less clinical listening I find it plenty good enough while "out & about".

One of the better smartphones I've heard straight out of the headphone socket. If using some of my older Klipsch X10i 50 Ohm IEM's (SE846 is only 9 Ohm) then the S8 does loose some audio performance compared to listening with my Fiio X5III so better to use the S8 with lower impedance around the 25 Ohm I'd say. Obviously external DAC's such as DFR/Oppo HA-2SE/Mojo sound better.

I'd still consider the old Z3 to have better audio quality than the S7/iP7/S8 etc. excluding its lower volume output.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #263 of 452
I think I'm going to stick with the S8+over my LG G5, What Amp/dac combo or Amp would you peeps recommend for my HD650. I've been out of the game for a long time. My fiio E17 died some months ago.

Also, I have the Sound Magic E30 and I noticed there is a little bit more depth in them vs the AKG supplied by Samsung.

The Fiio Alpen 2 is much better than the original E17. If you've got the cash, the HA-2SE is very good. If you've got even more cash, the Chord Mojo is better still.

May 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #264 of 452
Exynos has historically had better DACs, but I think we need to keep in mind that now it's the first year that the Snapdragon comes with the Aqstic DAC, which in the SD835 is supposed to be even better than the one in the HTC 10. So, I remain hopefully, as I wait for delivery today haha.

-Collin-

Do you know what chips they're using specifically? USB receiver chip and which version of the Aqstic?

May 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #265 of 452
I have absolutely zero issues with the Exynos version and it's headphone out... I've parked the DFR, Mojo, Hugo etc. and am running this straight...

No, that isn't to say it beats the DACs mentioned above, but the compromise for form factor Vs sound quality is much much smaller than I would have thought.

Currently rocking some RHA T20i's, which I bought as an impulse purchase after leaving the AKG earphones at home, and other than the volume controls not working, am happy.

May 28, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #266 of 452
I think the Snapdragon S8 sounds just fine. With my HM5, M50x, or my various IEM's, it sounds just fine. It will not power an HD650 or Q701 like the LG V10, but for portable use with easier to drive sealed headphones and IEM's I have zero complaints. It even sounds good with the supplied AKG in ears with a small amount of EQ. There is plenty of volume in the 1/2 to 2/3 area on the volume with all the headphones and IEM's I use with it. Having a system wide EQ and a headphone jack that so far has none of the issues the LG V10 headphone jack had is also a big plus. No Google now popups and no random skipping of songs like with the V10. It just works.

May 29, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #267 of 452
Trying the S8+ with Viper 2.5 on the Batrom and it's absolutely brilliant after the switchover to v4a.

It's actually powering the Sony Z7 pretty decently and with a good bass response too.
Yup I am not typing that wrong.

May 29, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #268 of 452
I have absolutely zero issues with the Exynos version and it's headphone out... I've parked the DFR, Mojo, Hugo etc. and am running this straight...

No, that isn't to say it beats the DACs mentioned above, but the compromise for form factor Vs sound quality is much much smaller than I would have thought.

The same can be said for me and my S7 Edge exynos (I am quite happy with the SQ when adapt sound is engaged). I know that psikey thinks that the S8's SQ is much superior to the S7's, but what is your opinion?

May 31, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #269 of 452
I have never been a huge fan of smartphones as a source but the S8 has improved a lot from their older models included the notes, tabs and laptop.

The sound of S8 is cleaner and clearer and with much less harshness in the upper range and overall distortion- a little bit more doable.

However, Spotify and Tidal still sound a little flat and too digital for my liking. Neutron player is more dynamic, tighter and faster bass plus better depth and soundstage. Also more volume.

Bottom line it's not too bad similar to an entry to maybe mid level DAP.

Listening with ISine 10.

May 31, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #270 of 452
Hi, signed up to just to ask you special folks a question. I am using Bluetooth, but thought you may weigh in with your opinions here. The S8 (and +) have, in my opinion, been very very poor on Bluetooth. I am connected up into both my cars, and compared to every other phone I have tried (almost every single high end model) the audio quality is horrific over bluetooth. Honestly, it sounds as if I am listening to 56kbps songs.

For BT audio, it's all about the DAC/AMP combo on the receving end AND the codecs used at BOTH ends. What you may want to do is determine if the crappy BT audio is because the GS8 didn't find a matching codec to your head unit in your cars, which makes it default to using SBC, sounds horrible compared to quality music streamed over pretty much every other codec.

Your GS8 will tell you what codec it used to stream if your enable BT logging on your GS8, stream something, stop streaming, copy the log file off and open it in WireShark (or an app on your phone). I will help you interpret the capture file if you need help. I sent you a PM about this also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back