Samsung Buys Harmon (and therefore AKG)
Nov 18, 2016 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bosiemoncrieff

Headphoneus Supremus
So this just happened. Not sure which forum to post it in, as the industry forum is being depreciated. Giving up all hope of an N90Q with a lightning cable. :joy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/business/samsung-auto-industry-harman-automotive.html

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 4
It will be interesting to see how Samsung manages this transaction, especially the high end brands like Levinson. As to AKG, sorry to see this happen and this explains the recent chatter about the Austrian facilities closing down.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, I don't like it in general that the big guys buy all the small guys who often make the better product. But that's just how things go. 
I guess I would sell my business as well when someone was waving with enough money, so...

I still have hope for AKG and Co, not every company buys another to discontinue or alter the new asset, but to learn from it and make use from it in their other products.
Maybe we will see some Samsung Bluetooth Speaker and Headphones with tech and maybe branding of the other Hi-Fi brands they own now. 
I could see Samsung devices of all sorts with AKG, JBL or Harman/Kardon tech inside and branding. Those are well known brands, the names and their tech will not disappear. 

Maybe the Samsung Galaxy S8 will have Harman/Kardon speaker like HTC was using "beatsaudio" at some point, not that I like beats, but you know what I mean. Would be interesting. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 4
To the extent that AKG exists in the headphone space, I'm convinced it's the Quincy Jones iteration of the company. K812/872 seems like the last pro headphone the company will have made. I still want to get my hands on the N90Q.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back