Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Jan 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #137 of 519
  Interesting RNHP review:

Link: http://www.verumsonus.com/head-fi-meet-impressions-12062016/

"The RNHP is a very interesting amplifier with a very unique property.  I tested it using the balanced outputs on the DAC of my Audio-gd NFB-27H.  I felt that tonally and spatially the amp was essentially transparent, extremely revealing of upstream components and was very adequately able to power my Sennheiser HD650s.  In listening, I noticed that no matter what music I was playing, it was as if that music was being played in something like an anechoic chamber, a completely dead room that killed any reverberation or reflection that might give you a sense of the room.  When drums were struck, you could very clearly hear the initial impact of the drum, but the sustain of that impact was completely removed, even though it can very clearly be heard on numerous other combinations of DACs and amps that were present at the meet.  The owner’s theory is that the amplifier has such a low output impedance that its actually overdamping the headphones and causing this complete loss of the sustain.  I’m not sure whether or not that is the case, but the RNHP was a very strange sounding and unique sounding amplifier."

I feel like I can kind of hear what he is talking about. Thoughts?

Really fun meet. That's where @SuperDuke heard my RNHP through Utopia. And you can contact the author @gandhisfist if you have more detailed questions. The results seem to be quite based on the headphones. The HD650 characteristically has a slightly fat, slightly emphasized bass, due to how most amplifiers interact with their impedance. The RNHP is one amplifier that does not allow it to do this.

Anyone try this amp with the Focal Elear?

I suspect it will do nicely, as it does with the Utopia.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #139 of 519

...This might just be Mojo in the dedicated headphone amp world, with the finest feeling volume knob EVER.

Looks like a $10 Alps pot.

You certainly haven't touched it once then.

Just being Alps pot that looks like a RK27 doesn't feel like that...

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #140 of 519

You certainly haven't touched it once then.

Just being Alps pot that looks like a RK27 doesn't feel like that...

You're right, I haven't had the opportunity to have a hands-on review of an RNHP.   I do have the highest respect for Mr Neve.   His mixer boards are nothing short of legendary.  I am seriously considering an RNHP.   If he was able to take a $10 Alps RK27 and give it the feeling of the smoothest pot available, then that's a bonus!

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #142 of 519
I always had a problem with the factory SMPS that came with the RNHP. Going back and forth with the excellent support team from Rupert Neve Designs that have sent over a different PSU for testing but sadly is still hearing noise from my more sensitive full sizes, and my ultra sensitive FitEar MH334 was simply unusable with the RNHP.

That is until I ordered a cheap Linear power supply from good old eBay, shipped from China. Using that power supply have completely solved all the noise problems I had with the RNHP, not only I can't hear any hint of noise with my most sensitive full sizes, but even with my FitEar MH334.

Totally recommended to any RNHP owners, as it greatly improves the noise floor performance of the amp without spending much.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #143 of 519
I always had a problem with the factory SMPS that came with the RNHP. Going back and forth with the excellent support team from Rupert Neve Designs that have sent over a different PSU for testing but sadly is still hearing noise from my more sensitive full sizes, and my ultra sensitive FitEar MH334 was simply unusable with the RNHP.

That is until I ordered a cheap Linear power supply from good old eBay, shipped from China. Using that power supply have completely solved all the noise problems I had with the RNHP, not only I can't hear any hint of noise with my most sensitive full sizes, but even with my FitEar MH334.

Totally recommended to any RNHP owners, as it greatly improves the noise floor performance of the amp without spending much.

I got a 24V Meanwell SMPS, GST25A24, 1000mA output, instead of 400mA with the supplied one.
Better dynamics and bass.
No noise that I can hear, but not using IEM's, Hifiman Edition X.
No problems yet after 3 days of listening

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #144 of 519
I got a 24V Meanwell SMPS, GST25A24, 1000mA output, instead of 400mA with the supplied one.
Better dynamics and bass.
No noise that I can hear, but not using IEM's, Hifiman Edition X.
No problems yet after 3 days of listening

just registered to reply this thread, i've also tried this meanwell power supply, this ps have better dynamic, more detail, as well as the sound stage seems wider in first impression, but after some more time to compare with the stock ps, i found the stock ps have more balanced overall sound: the meanwell ps compress the sound stage's depth, and most important, the sound became something uncomfortable, with stock ps, i can listen to music all day; with the meanwell ps, i got tried after a short period of time.
now the meanwell have been abandoned for a long time, imo, i strongly recommended the stock ps if it doesn't produce any nosie or you don't want to pay much more money on ps(like $300 or more), i do belive they have carefully chosen the stock ps for a overall balanced sound instead of some partial performance enhancement within the given cost.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #145 of 519
  Anyone compared RNHP with SPL Phonitors?

i have rnhp and phonitor2, both connected to lyra2's balanced output, the phonitor2 surely have better dynamic, grander sound stage, and some more detail, but i think the rnhp's sound is more sophisticated, it highlight the main melody and makes you ignore the small detail(the detail is still there! it dosen't blur them!), meanwhile the phonitor2 gives you all the information, you can apparently notice the dynamic, sound stage, detail and some other SQ's elements during the whole listening. 
i shall recommend the rnhp for music listening, and the phonitor2 for monitoring.
the conclusion is based on rnhp's stock power supply, with well-designed LPS, it's another story:)

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #146 of 519
I haven't been fatigued from the Meanwell/RNHP yet.
In fact had a few of those 2AM listening sessions where there you always want to listen to another song.
Different equipment before the amp? It is a very revealing amp.
I have jriver MC21>jitterbug>Regen>Micromega Mydac.
Also had an occasional hum. Grounded the amp with 2 cheap XLR cables, cut the other ends off, isolated the ground wires, connected them and attached them to a good earth ground. No hum.

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #147 of 519
Got an RNHP & love it.  For the price ($725 CDN) it's pretty damn impressive.  Very clear & very detailed sound.  The bass is clean and tight without any distortion.  I'm quite pleased with this amp.  

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #148 of 519
I hate to see it go but I need to free some funding up for a new tube amp project I'm working on so I need to find a new home for my RNHP. She has really enjoyed her stay in my gear rotation. This really is a special amp. This is a superb amp with very unique qualities. 

Classified: http://www.head-fi.org/t/840263/rupert-neve-rnhp-headphone-amp

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #150 of 519
  I second this question

Both are good but comparing them is a difficult task. What I can say is that one is angel (RNHP) while the other is beast. Phonitor has greater (DO NOT read better) control over headphones. Clarity-wise both are good. It is like watching something on a 40 inch TV vs 80 inch. Not sure if I helped but if you can stretch, Phonitor should be the choice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back