Rhapsodio Galaxy v2 thread and review
Apr 26, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 36
I had the opportunity to spend a short period of time with the same Galaxy v2 as Kunlun and company.

From a tonal and imaging perspective, my impressions are inline with the other members here. My daily driver is still an original JH13. My quest to replace the JH13 is to find something more on the neutral side of thing rather than the v-shape side of things. This IEM certainly falls in that v-shaped category with the top end having a bit more presence than the JH. The only call out as a point of concern I have with this IEM is in regard to certain female vocals. I listen to a fair amount of female singer/ songwriter artists. An Album such as Priscilla Ahn's 'A Good Day' could get a bit sibilant on the vocals, but I only used silicone tips while I had the IEM, so foam tips may tame this.

The first thing you'll notice about this IEM is the build quality. It's very impressive. This is the kind of build quality that I wish HiFiMan would impart upon their RE-800 and RE-2000 IEMs. The housing of the IEMS are solid, and have bit more weight than most IEMS out there, but the weight wasn't an issue for me when wearing. Included was a nice braided copper cable; the kind you usually see people paying a couple hindered dollars for. There's definitely the feeling that you're paying for a TOTL IEM here.

Finally, several folks here mentioned that getting a proper seal of fit can be a little difficult. This was not the case for me a and getting a decent fits was fairly easy.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 36
I got a chance to test these out recently and wanted to throw my two cents in. As others have mentioned, these are definitely on the heavy side due to the brass housings. The earpieces are on the larger side, so getting a good fit might be a bit challenging if you have smaller ears. That said, I was able to get a good fit. The cable deserves a mention. It was thick yet supple and downright gorgeous.

I'll come round out and say it, the sound wasn't my cup of tea. The upper mids and lower treble were more prominent than I prefer. Besides that, I found them technically competent. I enjoyed the deep, textured bass and upper end extension, but just found these too aggressive overall for my tastes.

Does that mean I think they're bad or should be changed in some way? Nope. Diversity is good, and there are obviously people who greatly enjoy these. So, viva la difference!

Here are some quick & dirty FR curves I generated comparing Galaxy v2 to a few other TOTL IEM I've gotten the chance to test out. Hope it's useful for some of my headfi peeps.
IMG_0546.JPG

May 14, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 36
I got a chance to test these out recently and wanted to throw my two cents in. As others have mentioned, these are definitely on the heavy side due to the brass housings. The earpieces are on the larger side, so getting a good fit might be a bit challenging if you have smaller ears. That said, I was able to get a good fit. The cable deserves a mention. It was thick yet supple and downright gorgeous.

I'll come round out and say it, the sound wasn't my cup of tea. The upper mids and lower treble were more prominent than I prefer. Besides that, I found them technically competent. I enjoyed the deep, textured bass and upper end extension, but just found these too aggressive overall for my tastes.

Does that mean I think they're bad or should be changed in some way? Nope. Diversity is good, and there are obviously people who greatly enjoy these. So, viva la difference!

Here are some quick & dirty FR curves I generated comparing Galaxy v2 to a few other TOTL IEM I've gotten the chance to test out. Hope it's useful for some of my headfi peeps.
Your findings are very similar to what @flinkenick found in his review of the Galaxy V2. The funny thing is that while I am far from the target audience for these, I am very treble sensitive, it makes me really happy to see someone like Sammy cater to those people who do want to have that aggressive signature and want everything to sparkle with tons of resolution. I probably could not cope with it, but I understand the appeal and it is great to see Sammy deviate from the average and produce something that will be very exciting for those who share his preferences. Plus, he actually gives them a proper cable. I wish others would learn a lesson from that.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #24 of 36
Having heard nothing but great things about the Galaxy v2, I was definitely excited when Kunlun gave me an opportunity to listen to them for a week. After a week with them, I can definitely say that they live up to their reputation. They also look as good as they sound, what a stellar build on these IEMs. They look and feel rich in your hand and worthy of their price tag. What surprised me was that they are only a single dynamic driver as I did not look up the configuration until after listening for several days. The SQ was far too good for only a single driver.

The bad news is that I am one of those that cannot get a proper fit with the Galaxy requiring me to press my hands on my ears to get the proper seal giving me inconsistent performance. This did show me how important the seal was as the bass all but disappeared without a seal. With a seal, it was one of the most impressive bass responses I have heard. I don't think that this is a dynamic driver thing as I was getting great sound quality from the Fourte' and the W900 with an improper seal. I should point out that my ears are not the best with universal fitting IEMs to begin with so I am used to playing with fit issues.

So where does the Gv2 fit in the TOTL IEM lineup? It is definitely deserving of this status with a very audiophile sound and top notch performance. There are three things that define the Galaxy for me - coherence, timbre, and bass, bass, bass. If I was to buy a Gv2, it would be for that bass! However, the coherence is staggering as well as is the timbre providing a very life like performance. On the other hand, the performance is pushed back a little more than my preference requiring me to turn it up too loud to get the scaling I like and I cannot get the fit I need to get consistent bass performance.

Having said all that, I come back to the wow, all this from a single dynamic driver. If it ever comes out in a custom format, I will definitely have to take another listen.

May 28, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #26 of 36
Having said all that, I come back to the wow, all this from a single dynamic driver. If it ever comes out in a custom format, I will definitely have to take another listen.
It's also available as custom, you can check with Sammy.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #30 of 36
I just realized that it's a stupid question. For us$600 it's worth every cent. Anyway, I just sent the money to Sammy. Can't wait to compare v1 to v2.
If you loved the v1, I think you'll feel the same or more about the v2.

When you have it, please post some impressions on the v2 here in this thread, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back