[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Nov 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #814 of 911
i've ordered these cheap ones for $3.83
these fit hp's perfectly and are pretty comfortable but ring diameter is smaller than is on Evo's earpads by 1 cm thus making them on ear rather like over ear which is the case with Evo's earpads
i've fixed that by streching them, now they are ok
cushion is of lower density and because of that sound is significantly altered, there's less bass thus making mid & high range more prominent... so if someone is aiming for that type of sound signature maybe these earpads is the way to go
i'd still like to find replacement earpads which are more Evo's alike

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #818 of 911
i'm actually starting to like how Evo's sound with these new pads, it was such a drastic transformation, they changed from warm and dark sounding hp's into more balanced slightly bright
you know how Superlux models always come in different variations regarding bass quantity F(flat), B(balanced) and no mark(bassiest), then i'd say that Evo's with these pads could be classified as B, maybe even as F

i'd mention that i left felt on, only that front piece of foam is removed, and pads are rised a tad by adding ring of thin rope under it
https://s13.postimg.org/4jkggycyf/IMG_20161119_121638.jpg

https://s13.postimg.org/npxnk4tg7/IMG_20161119_121705.jpg

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #823 of 911
I MISSED this THREAD because i couldn't find the search engine which is hidden in the header & doesn't show its text window, but i just ordered a pair of EVOs a couple days ago. besides the OTHER reviews i read praising their bass, the things that got me excited about these were their minimalist looks, plush earpads option and ESPECIALLY the swappable 3m cables! i hate long cables and higher end cans tend to only offer long cables where they should offer either portable versions, or similar swappable cables.

hopefully, i'll FINALLY be able to actually HEAR the infrasonic hum in woofer cooker i've only been able to barely detect on every pair of cans i've ever owned along with the bass growl in funky stuff i never even knew was stereo panned as it's barely detectable on my presonus cans, but clearly pans left to right on sol republic$.

the super high fidelity, if total lack of bass, i got out of my sampson AKG clones has made me gravitate towards that style. i bought my presonus clones because they have decent sound and did have better bass than the sonys i was using, & which soon broke afterwards in portable use, but i'd call their bass average at best which means pretty much useless on anything with really deep bass.

i'm hoping that switching to semi-open over all of the closed cans i've owned lately improves treble air. closed cans NEVER sound right on binaural.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #825 of 911
maybe i'll end up regretting it looking at the frequency response curves, but i've yet to own headphones that have even as much bass as a pair of 8 inch 3 ways. i didn't get anywhere with a thread i created looking for $50 adequate bass cans and did independent research reading amazon reviews for the highest rated cans until i found the superluxes at $50 where most of the others were high end.

i'll have to see what they sound like for myself. several have said they're NOT basshead cans and they've been favorably compared to much higher priced gear including their absolute destruction of dres.

if the bass is too much, then i'll resort to mods. i wanted to use the plush earpads anyways which is supposed to lower the bass, but if the pleather's bass doesn't give me a headache and sounds good, i'll stick with that.

MOST of what i listen to is dance music, and even with some radical bass boosting, up to 20dB on some tracks, i still feel like there isn't enough on my presonus HD7s. i'd rather have bass boost in the headphones as my xduoo drinks juice like a storm drain and the battery has went dead in under 5 hours of use. using flat tracks will help with that.

the consensus seems mostly favorable for the superluxes as being THE $50 giant killers to buy. there has to be something to so many raves EVERYWHERE.

it doesn't matter either way now, mine are already on their way so it's too late to have second thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back