Review: Hisound E212
Oct 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Hisound E212 Review

I would firstly like to thank Jack at Hisound for sending me this sample for review, I will write as honest a review possible. These received over 50hrs of burn-in, no changes were noted.

Gear Used:
IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > E212 (stock small tips)

Specifications:
Model: HSA-E212
Type: Dynamic
Size of the driver: Φ 9.2 mm
Impedance: 16Ω
Sensitivity: 100 db
Maximum SPL: 125db (1khz,1 Vrms)
Frequency response: 20-20 khz
Type of the jack: 3.5mm Angled jack
The length of the cable: 124cm

Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality:
Packaging is of the new generation Hisound products, a card box with plastic on the front showing the IEM's. The packaging is very simple but attractive, information and specifications are included on the back of the box. The IEM's are held in a plastic in tray, accessories below.

Accessories included are a small carry pouch, S, M and L single flange silicone tips and also a cable winder in the shape of a dead fish. I would have liked to see more tips included, but the rest of the accessories are fine.

Build quality is good, the cable has more of a plastic feel than rubber, and has slight memory. It is well relieved on the jack, housing and y-split, the jack is of the angled 45 degree type, the housing is part plastic, part metal and feels sturdy. No problems with the build quality of these.

Comfort, Driver flex and Cable noise:
These are designed to be worn over the ear, the housing is slightly angled for this, and they are small and very comfortable once you've found the right tips. I have no problems with the fit or comfort,

Driver flex is present, and sometimes you have to take them out and reinsert to get them to sound right. The housing is vented but does not prevent this.

Cable noise is not a problem if the cable is worn over the ear.

Sound:
Split into the usual categories

Lows: big impact and rumbling lows, these were made with bass in mind. It has the quantity but also fairly good quality, it isn't the tightest or the quickest, but it is a lot of fun. These excel in EDM and other bassy genres. Mids bass has good punch with great body, and the extension is very good too going right down to sub-bass around 20hz with ease.

Mids: warmed by the lows, but still present and fairly crisp. Male vocals do come over a little thick and recessed, female vocals fair a little better and have good presence and detail. The mids do loose some of their power, especially guitars. But for the price and general sound signature they are fine. I just wouldn't pick them for vocal music.

Highs: the highs are rolled off and smooth, I would have liked the highs to have more presence and detail. They sound rather dark on the whole because of the rolled off highs. They are still present but stay behind the rest of the sound.

Soundstage, imaging and instrument separation:
The soundstage is very intimate, so nothing special, they do not have much air or space.
Instrument separation is also not great, they do end up sounding a bit congested through faster passages.
Imaging is fine, panning is good and everything is well placed just not with much air.

Conclusion:
For a budget throw around IEM, these are excellent, you don't have to worry about them, and they sound fun which is great for the gym and other places where you just want a cheap, fun pair of IEM's.
If you listen to lots of music based on a big beat and rhythm, these are great, for rock and jazz they don't quite cut it.
For the price I can recommend them.

Sound perfection rating: 7/10

Thank you for reading

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back