Review: Grado SR-225 vs Grado SR-80
Oct 4, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #17 of 40
Just got my 80's today, and I love them. The sound is leaps and bounds better than anything I've heard from run of the mill stuff. The separation of the instruments is the most notable change, I can pick out things much more clearly and on a few songs I'm hearing things I never even knew were on the track. The bass is tight and not overpowering like you'll find on a $150 Bose offerings.

The two wires are bothering and I'm already thinking about doing some mods to get a single sided, plug in style cable. Also the pads are pretty stiff, might try some other stuff out and see what I can come up with.

American made was really one of the reasons I quickly leaned towards a pair of Grado's it was a tossup between these and the MS-1's...I opted for the 80's as they are said to have a bit more punch.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #18 of 40
Your pads should break-in and feel more comfy.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my 80's today, and I love them. The sound is leaps and bounds better than anything I've heard from run of the mill stuff. The separation of the instruments is the most notable change, I can pick out things much more clearly and on a few songs I'm hearing things I never even knew were on the track. The bass is tight and not overpowering like you'll find on a $150 Bose offerings.

The two wires are bothering and I'm already thinking about doing some mods to get a single sided, plug in style cable. Also the pads are pretty stiff, might try some other stuff out and see what I can come up with.

American made was really one of the reasons I quickly leaned towards a pair of Grado's it was a tossup between these and the MS-1's...I opted for the 80's as they are said to have a bit more punch.

Wash your pads, it makes a difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I was remembering the time I first brought my SR80s home and plugged them into my iPod... turned the EQ off for the first time... and had a grin from ear to ear as I listened to all the metal I had on there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #21 of 40
SR-225's are perfect bang-for-the-buck in the Grado line..

I hope they'll restrain me from buying the RS-1's for a couple of months more.. I can't hold my upgraditis for Grado's
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 40
I'm already eyeing my 80s for potential mods. I just know I'm not the DIY type eletrically speaking. LoL.

I was reading the Grado mods thread and holy wow!

I'm handy. Just not THAT handy.

Also I can hear the RS-2 calling out to me.
It's faint, but I can hear it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #23 of 40
This is really like the best thread ever. So the only question i have is the 225 really worth the upgrade and do 225 sound still great without an amp and are less brighter than lower models.

Thanks!!!

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is really like the best thread ever. So the only question i have is the 225 really worth the upgrade and do 225 sound still great without an amp and are less brighter than lower models.

Thanks!!!

You basically asked all the questions that the OP answers in his review.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well he didnt mention and brightness difference. I'm really worried about the brightness is it really that strong ?

The brightness mellows with the amp. I love these Grados and they have great sparkle. The RE2 IEMs were really bright. Too much so. I have no such problems with the 225. I continue to enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back