Review: DUNU DN-22M Detonator
Apr 19, 2013 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones

DUNU DN-22M Review:

I would like to thank Rocky for sending this sample for me to review, I will write as honest a review possible, these received more than 50hrs burn-in before reviewing, no noticeable differences were noted.

Gear Used:

IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > DUNU DN-22M (aftermarket bi-flange tips used)

Specs:

Driver: dynamic 9mm

F. Response: 20Hz – 20KHz

SPL: 112 +- 2dB (1KHz/1Vrms)

Impedance: 16Ω

Noise attenuation: 26dB

Cable length: 1.2m

Weight: 27g

Packaging, accessories and build quality:

Packaging is standard for Dunu, and if you’ve had a Dunu product you will know what I’m talking about. A sleek black box, with a picture of the IEM’s on the front, information on the back and specifications on the side. This is just a sleeve, out of this slide another box, all black with DUNU in red on the front, this has a magnetised flap that opens and you are presented with the IEM’s and their carry pouch below, both held in a felt covered plastic intray. Underneath this intray you will find all the other accessories, I really like Dunu packaging, it feels very premium and has everything laid out very well and neatly.

Accessories are equally good, you get a semi-hard square case, a soft pleather case, cable clip, 1 pair of M bi-flange tips, 1 pair of M triple flange tips, and then S, M and L sony hybrid type single flange tips, and then standard S, M and L single flange tips. So you get all the tips you need, plus 2 carry cases and a cable clip, The only thing I would change is put a metal carry case like the one supplied with Dunu’s higher end models, but that would up the price of these, and maybe a flight adapter like supplied with some other Dunu models.

Build quality, another strong point, with polished metal housings (a little bit on the heavy side), a really good cable with excellent strain relief on the jack, housing and y-splitter. Built in the cable is Dunu’s patented cable wrap, which really comes in handy when storing them, and also an iPhone compatible microphone and button. I must hand it to Dunu for producing the best built budget IEM’s around, my old DN-12 Tridents are still going strong after over 1 year of use (these use the same cable).

Comfort, isolation, driver flex and cable noise:

Comfort is good when you get a good fit, the housing is smooth so no sharp edges hurting your ear, but the housings are quite heavy as they are metal, which means you do have to adjust the fit every now and again, but I did not find this to be a problem for me. They can be worn with the cable straight down or over the ear.

These are fully sealed IEM’s so they isolate pretty darn well, perfect for public transport and the likes, but not enough to be a serious danger when walking about.

Driver flex is not a problem, I can only detect very slight driver flex which is surprising as they are not vented.

Cable noise is also not a big problem, being only slightly noticeable, and eliminated when worn over the ear.

Sound:

Split into the usual categories with a conclusion ate the end.

Lows: Typical Dunu house sound, warm and laid back. The lows are full bodied and well extended, also with good punch (a little hollow though) when needed. They do mask the lower mids a little, making male vocals sound a little veiled. The lows are in good quantity not being over the top and masking the whole sound, they are well placed and do complete the sound well. A little less would be fine, as they are a little boomy/loose because of resonance I suspect.

Mids: A little behind the lows, but not majorly recessed, with vocals and guitars having good enough presence being well placed and easily separated. There is a slight upper mid hump, which makes female vocals sound cleaner than male vocals, but does not bring out any sibilance. I actually really like the mids as it is impressive that the lows don’t drown them out, and they are still present and fairly well detailed, but in a laid back presentation.

Highs: Also typical Dunu, very laid back lacking real presence and sparkle, they are there but you don’t get the shimmer and crashes of cymbals to full effect, they are just there. I am always very critical of treble, as it seems to be the hardest part of the spectrum to get right, many headphones fail in this department, I wouldn’t say these are a complete failure, but the highs are not involving, they are very bland and not exciting. There is a sense of loss of detail and spaciousness because of the rolled off highs.

Soundstage, instrument separation and imaging:

The soundstage is quite small, the centre image is portrayed nicely and the rest of the sound does come in around it, but it is not very wide or deep, quite an intimate presentation.

Instrument separation is average, as the soundstage is small and there is not a lot of space between instruments, but they do not fair badly in this area for the general sound sig.

Conclusion: For the package they are brilliant, you get excellent build quality with equally good sound, these are not my preferred sound signature, but for what they are they do very well. These are more aimed at the general consumer, with an easy to listen to, laid back non fatiguing sound. Perfect for standard use on the go where you want a more engaging sound rather than supreme detail retrieval. Once again Dunu have brought a great product at a competitive price, so if you’re looking for an on-the-go IEM to use with your iPhone this is perfect, it is built like a tank so you can just toss them in your bag and not worry about them.

Thank you for reading this review, comments are welcome.

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back