REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #916 of 1,486
Have you tried a NAA or USB cleaner/regenerator device between your new server and DAC?

On that topic, I'm holding off from trying any of the new SOtM super-clocked Ultra devices for a while.
Partly to see how the multiple super clock experiments over at CA pan out. And partly because Sonore have finally broken cover and announced their own ultra upgrades to the microRendu at two levels: a simple board replacement that includes a new clock; and a big brother in larger enclosure that has new clock and more. Both of these are smaller, cheaper and simpler than the SOtm ultra devices. Whether they (maybe in conjunction with an ISO Regen) sound better or worse than their SOtM rivals to be seen.
no i have not. while i found that antipodes have a clock and a dac, they view this as a service and don't talk about it nor promote this, you can even plug your head phones in the back of it... the best output is quality usb direct to a high quality dac. On top of that my chord TT has a galvanic isolated hd usb built in and chord dacs don't need any external clock.
im glad antipodes audio put most of there research into quality nodes, and such to make the bits quiet as possible. the output is phenomenal with roon core, again one of the most significant upgrades by passing the iMac.
The downfall is that quality servers cost big bucks, so folks are reaching for all kinds of boxes, regent this jitterbug that, poly this etc.. etc.. so if its in the budget I firmly recommend an all in one solution. I have an antipode thread started as you know, antipode is touted as top tier in this field, but there are quite a few players...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #917 of 1,486
I'm not disputing anything you say, and I fully understand (and myself prefer) the benefits of an all-in-one solution, and its perfectly reasonable that you don't want to go down the "little box" track.

The only thing you should absolutely not do is blindly assume that these little boxes only apply to cheap servers, and that your super server cannot possibly be improved by such things. Because eminent posters here and at CA have demonstrated otherwise. So you can't be sure it doesn't apply to you until you actually try it. But to reiterate, it's perfectly understandable that you wouldn't be interested in trying.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #918 of 1,486
I'm not disputing anything you say, and I fully understand (and myself prefer) the benefits of an all-in-one solution, and its perfectly reasonable that you don't want to go down the "little box" track.

The only thing you should absolutely not do is blindly assume that these little boxes only apply to cheap servers, and that your super server cannot possibly be improved by such things. Because eminent posters here and at CA have demonstrated otherwise. So you can't be sure it doesn't apply to you until you actually try it. But to reiterate, it's perfectly understandable that you wouldn't be interested in trying.

hey have you not seen my rabbit hole, never say never, just grab a shovel and hop in, I'm sure i will get to the other side soon.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #920 of 1,486
I am having some trouble trying this direct connection method. I am trying to use router > macbook pro wifi bridge to an Apple thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter > sms-200.

I tried to bridge wifi to ethernet but only the internet works. I am not able to connect to the sms-200 webpage. having both not bridge and sharing wifi to the sms-200 . I am able to connect to the internet and get the eunhasu.local page but HQplayer NAA wont see the sms-200. If I connect the sms-200 to the router, it sees it right away.

Is there a way to get this working or I should just buy a 2nd Apple TB > ethernet adapter?

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #921 of 1,486
I'm not an expert, but I've read on the long CA thread that you can't bridge wifi + Ethernet when using OSX.
I can bridge wifi+Ethernet on my Windows laptop, and find that incredibly useful, but that probably doesn't help in your case.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #922 of 1,486
I'm not an expert, but I've read on the long CA thread that you can't bridge wifi + Ethernet when using OSX.

Ok. I got it working but now it. But the music keeps pausing every 1-3 secs.

edit.
I can bridge wifi+Ethernet on my Windows laptop, and find that incredibly useful, but that probably doesn't help in your case.
Ok, Thanks for the info. I went out and bought another TB to ethernet adapter. So using two wires now. I tried to bridge both together. Router> ethernet > macbookpro > ethernet > sms200. I can get internet and eunhasu.local to work when bridged. But still not showing up in HQplayer's NAA menu.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #923 of 1,486
My recent good experience with Supra’s CAT 8 cable has got me interested in their new DC blocker. Yesterday I got my Supra LoRad DC-Blocker and directly plugged it in between my Gigawatt power conditioner and wall outlet. My initial impression (after letting all audio gear stabilize a few hours after been powered of) is that this DC blocker really elevated all SQ aspects and didn’t reduce dynamics. The hum from my power amp, which can be perceived some time, seems also to be gone. More listening, burn in and listening during other times of the day will be conducted.

My Gigawatt power conditioner was brought second hand and didn’t have a DC blocker, so I have been on a lookout for something like this for a while, but most have cost more than I have wanted to spend without knowing the effect in my system first. Supra LoRad DC-Blocker cost less than the others I have been interested in, and still come from a reputed manufacturer. That it’s made by a reputed manufacturer is important to me as the process to filter out DC can be dangerous if done wrong.

Lastly DC voltage offset on mains power is very common and even small amount of DC voltage offset can lead to less than optimal SQ. Regular power conditioner doesn’t address DC voltage offset and some like Gigawatt has it as an option.

http://www.jenving.com/products/view/dc-blocker-md01-16-eu-3024000378

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #924 of 1,486
I recently added a Bakoon DAC-21 that's battery powered.

I use it with their HPA-21 that's also battery powered.

Now I'm a complete believer in getting off the grid.

I may get Vinnie Rossi's mini pure to power my Lumin D1 streamer.

The Bakoon handily outperformed my previous setup with thousands of dollars in Entreq power and ground conditioning.

Seems like power is half the equation. So unless we can get our own electric pole, getting off the grid is obviously the most cost efficient solution.

Anyone else getting off the grid?

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #925 of 1,486
Cant afford to be off the grid, my rabbit hole is getting deep as it is.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #926 of 1,486

The Bakoon handily outperformed my previous setup with thousands of dollars in Entreq power and ground conditioning.

Seems like power is half the equation. So unless we can get our own electric pole, getting off the grid is obviously the most cost efficient solution.

I've been strongly encouraging AC power re-generator use with ALL digital gear. The SQ improvements are astonishing.
Consider the current PS Audio P-3 Power Plant, currently on sale.

pj

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #927 of 1,486
I have tried one of the higher end PS audio power plants.

It has a nice effect on digital, but I found there was undesirable side effect also.

I have an Entreq Powerus Challenger. Very, very good. Does not limit dynamics or air.

However, the Bakoon DAC-21 easily beat my previous DACs connected to the Entreq. Once you hear the lack of distortion and noise after getting off the grid, you can't go back.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #928 of 1,486
.... Once you hear the lack of distortion and noise after getting off the grid, you can't go back.

Another "off the grid" Source + DAP :o2smile:

SP1000 + BHSE.JPG

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #929 of 1,486
I have tried one of the higher end PS audio power plants.

It has a nice effect on digital, but I found there was undesirable side effect also.

I have an Entreq Powerus Challenger. Very, very good. Does not limit dynamics or air.

However, the Bakoon DAC-21 easily beat my previous DACs connected to the Entreq. Once you hear the lack of distortion and noise after getting off the grid, you can't go back.

Hi Vert. Interesting. You would be the first one that didn't find a premium AC power re-generator absolutely brilliant (with digital).

I could see this if too many components are/were plugged into the PP (Power Plant). Early re-gen's did not have any inter-receptacle isolation, resulting in the powered equipment's own power supply contaminating the others PS (Power Supply --and hence performance).

I understand the PS Audio P-3 attempts to isolate the various AC receptacle zones in its current incarnation. How successful or not it is I have not experienced.

In the meantime, I'll take a look at the 'Entreq Powerus Challenger' to see what it's all about.

pj

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #930 of 1,486

Interesting topic and impression. Good quality mains power is the most important thing IMO. Back then I used a TT in the mid-nineties power conditioner and power regenerators was very rare. The problem with mains power was beginning to be better known by people looking for the ultimate SQ around that time. Anyhow I got interested and after I heard some of the Jean Hiraga’s other stuff and read about his philosophy I got me one DIY battery MC cartridge preamp and a voltage stabilizer, normally used for big computer servers. Even then my audio gear was not the best, the system sounded very good. The only problem with the battery MC cartridge preamp, which was feed by 2 motorcycle batteries, was that to get the best result the battery’s had to be almost fully charged. As long they there the dynamic was fantastic, but then the battery charge got lower also the dynamics got reduced. Vert do you hear a change in SQ between fully charged battery and half full battery with your Bakoon DAC-21 and HPA-2?

Btw DAD (Danish Audio Design) was probably the first to incorporate a big capacitor bank to get off the grid without batteries. I wonder why not more companies have start to use big capacitor bank directly in digital audio gear, as digital gear are normally very sensitive to the mains power quality and are not very power hungry compared to most amps. I have not heard Vinnie Rossi’s gear but would like to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back