Review: Audiofly AF33
Jan 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Audiofly AF33 review

I would like to thank Audiofly for sending me this sample for review, I will write as honest a review possible.

These received more than 50hrs of burm-in, no real differences were noted.

Gear used:
IPod classic 160gb (rockboxed) > AF33 (amp not needed)

[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Cable Length:[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] 3.9ft[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Connector Type:[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] 1/8" (3.5mm)[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Driver Size:[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] 9mm[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Frequency Range:[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] 20 Hz to 20 kHz[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Headphone Fit:[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] In Ear[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Headphone Type:[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Sound Isolating[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] Impedance:[/size]

[/size]
[size=9pt] [size=9pt] 16 ohms[/size]

[/size]

Packaging, accessories and build quality:
Packaging is a small plastic box, picture if the IEM on the not with a window on the back showing the IEM, information on the back, with specifications on the side. Nothing special but simple and effective, the IEM's are in a plastic inlay with the pouch and tips below.

Accessory wise, you get single flange tips, in S, M and L, and a soft snap open carry pouch. All the necessary, but nothing special. I did not like the quality of the silicone tips, so swapped them out for better ones.

Build quality is nothing special compared to DUNU or the likes, with a plastic housing that feels a bit cheap, thin cables and the strain relief is not brilliant on either the jack or housing. Also the shape of the housing doesn't allow deep insertion.

Comfort, isolation, microphonics and driver flex:
Comfort is standard for shallow fit IEM's, I used some small single flange tips from some Telefunken IEM's, and life this I get a comfy fit, but these are not the most secure fitting IEM so doing lots of activity whilst using these may require some readjustment every now and then. The cable is designed to be worn straight down although it is easy to wear them over the ear.

Isolation is also very average as these are shallow fitting IEM's, fine for general walking around and  the likes, but not great for a noisy bus/train journey.

Microphonics are present but not too bad, and wearing them over the ear reduces this to a minimum. These don't suffer too badly, but you do hear the cable touch against something or rub on your clothes.

Driver flex is also present, but only upon insertion, and it isn't too big a problem with these IEM's.

Sound:
Split into the usual categories, lows, mids and highs, then soundstage... and a conclusion.

Lows: I was half expecting these to be muddy and bassy, but the lows presented are tight, with good extension reaching down to sub-bass but the bass does lack a little body when kick drums kick in, and also the don't have the most natural bass, a little too hollow. But the lows are present and do not drown out the mids, a very good quantity, just lacking a little in quality, the lows are very well separated.

Mids: I would say the mids are well placed , not recessed nor too forward, I would say they are slightly in front of the bass, what surprises me here is the detail retrieval, the mids do not suffer any bleed from the lows, with both male and female vocals sounding very clear. There is a little bit of sibilance detected in the upper mids, but nothing serious. Separation is also ry good, with a slightly airy presentation. But again they don't sound quite natural, a little on the thin side.

Highs: here is where these fair very well, I am used to a lot of budget offerings having rolled off highs, these do not suffer form this, highs are well presented, not being too bright, but with good detail and sparkle, extension is also very good. These sound a little grainy but no way near as bad as some others around the same price. These have quite an airy presentation so the highs are well placed and separated.

Soundstage, instrument separation and imaging:
The actual soundstage size is not very large, but they do have an airy presentation which helps separate things, so this means that instrument separation is very well presented, and imaging within the small soundstage is also well presented.

Conclusion, well I was not expecting much, the build quality isn't brilliant, the colour scheme is definately not to my liking, but sound wise these do not fair too badly, they may not be the best bang for your buck, but the do fair very well. If you want a fairly neutral sound, these are very good, then don't have the most natural of tone, they do sound a little mettalic, what they do present though is tight punchy bass, clean and detailed mids, and extended but not bright highs. I hope to test some more Audiofly models soon, as for this one, I would recommend them for specific reasons, but not everyone will enjoy them.

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)

Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)

We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back