Revamp Acoustics
May 28, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #226 of 765
Subbing :) Going to buy the Nuansa P1 once someone is selling a used one at my local marketplace here in Indonesia. Couldn't get into the second batch pre-order earlier this May.

May 29, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #227 of 765
Subbing :) Going to buy the Nuansa P1 once someone is selling a used one at my local marketplace here in Indonesia. Couldn't get into the second batch pre-order earlier this May.

Good move! TJ makes great gear and in such a small package. It's cool that you can roll opamps in both of TJ's DAPs (G1 & P1). I've been enjoying P1 with the several pair of Indonesian earbuds I've collected recently :)

May 30, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #229 of 765
Just finished auditioning my P1 which arrived today. Sounds even better than the G1 which nmathis graciously loaned me awhile back.
Being able to shuffle and play additional codecs besides wav are also welcome changes. It pairs very nicely with my iBasso P3 via the line-out, allowing me to use my balanced phones. Let the opamp rolling begin!
Great job, TJ!!!!

May 30, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #231 of 765
Just finished auditioning my P1 which arrived today. Sounds even better than the G1 which nmathis graciously loaned me awhile back.
Being able to shuffle and play additional codecs besides wav are also welcome changes. It pairs very nicely with my iBasso P3 via the line-out, allowing me to use my balanced phones. Let the opamp rolling begin!
Great job, TJ!!!!

Thanks for the quick impression. Only read about the G1 so good news on the P1's sound.

Can't wait to get mine; hopefully in a few weeks assuming all goes well with TJ's parts orders and assembly.

May 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #232 of 765
Great job, TJ!!!!
Nice :) How's your impression on the P1 sound so far?

So is the p1 the successor to the Teri G1? Price? Up on the website soon?
Apparently so. I'm not sure about the price, but I found a secondhand around 200 USD, already sold. Probably there will be a new batch this end of June, the representative of the shop in Bogor told me (I suspect it's TJ, but not sure). Anyway, I'm still eyeing on a used one being sold this June. I hope there will be someone who wants to sell his, haha.

May 30, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #234 of 765
Jun 1, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #238 of 765
Will @peter123 get a review unit?

Depends on whether @peter123 wants to buy one. Nobody's doing him :wink:

Great job, TJ!!!!

Ron's not easy to please and has extensive experience with DAPs, folks. This is a good endorsement

So is the p1 the successor to the Teri G1? Price? Up on the website soon?

Kind of. G1 was giving the Indonesian DIY community a DAP they wanted. P1 is @tjstyle making the DAP he wanted. Please correct me if I'm wrong, TJ.

Seems I've been neglecting this thread a bit. It's not for lack of enthusiasm over this dap, I assure you. I've been enjoying it since receiving it and have been talking more about it on Facebook than here, lol.

G1 was a dap that immediately caught your attention. More immediate wow factor than P1 has, but P1 is the more neutral, honest sounding dap which I was honestly caught off guard by. Looking at the specs and seeing NOS TI multi-bit DAC and MUSES02, I totally expected a warm, lush, glowing sound. However, that's not what TJ was after. He wanted provide an honest, true to life representation of the music, and that's what I'm getting. Like I said earlier, it doesn't reach out and grab you at first listen. Rather, it grows on you with each listen, resulting in an appreciation that grows deeper over time. If you can't tell, I'm digging it!

Compared to Aune M1s, the M1s has an airier sound. Some will prefer that over the P1's sound. I prefer a fuller sound, so while I enjoy M1s I'll end up listening to P1 more often and as Ron said I'm going to have to roll opamps to find one that fine tunes the sound perfectly for my tastes.

Hope that was helpful, guys :)

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #239 of 765
Depends on whether @peter123 wants to buy one. Nobody's doing him :wink:

Ron's not easy to please and has extensive experience with DAPs, folks. This is a good endorsement

Kind of. G1 was giving the Indonesian DIY community a DAP they wanted. P1 is @tjstyle making the DAP he wanted. Please correct me if I'm wrong, TJ.

Seems I've been neglecting this thread a bit. It's not for lack of enthusiasm over this dap, I assure you. I've been enjoying it since receiving it and have been talking more about it on Facebook than here, lol.

G1 was a dap that immediately caught your attention. More immediate wow factor than P1 has, but P1 is the more neutral, honest sounding dap which I was honestly caught off guard by. Looking at the specs and seeing NOS TI multi-bit DAC and MUSES02, I totally expected a warm, lush, glowing sound. However, that's not what TJ was after. He wanted provide an honest, true to life representation of the music, and that's what I'm getting. Like I said earlier, it doesn't reach out and grab you at first listen. Rather, it grows on you with each listen, resulting in an appreciation that grows deeper over time. If you can't tell, I'm digging it!

Compared to Aune M1s, the M1s has an airier sound. Some will prefer that over the P1's sound. I prefer a fuller sound, so while I enjoy M1s I'll end up listening to P1 more often and as Ron said I'm going to have to roll opamps to find one that fine tunes the sound perfectly for my tastes.

Hope that was helpful, guys :)

Actually yes, about sound characteristic. G1 is what people's majority wanted. But P1 is more to what sound characteristic that I want.
G1 is fun, from 3 batch total produced. Most people will like at first try.
But for P1?:zipper_mouth:
I let you decide after long term listening :sunglasses:

And @nmatheis actually the P1 highlight in parts, is using NOS Philips DAC, TI SoundPlus I/V and NJR Muses

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #240 of 765
After spending several days with my P1 and attempting comparisons to the G1 by memory, I can say that in the stock configuration, the P1 is brutally neutral and honest, and will, without apology, reveal any source file warts or shortfalls. It is not what I would pick if I just wanted to chill and daydream, however given quality recordings, it will sing with a clarity and honesty that is matched by very few players, regardless of price.

Although it is opamp-rollable, simply changing opamps at random will not make a night and day difference in the SQ. Much of what we hear is a synergy between the active devices (DAC, opamps, etc) and the many other circuitry components.

In my opinion, the most important sonic characteristic of any music device is accuracy of timbre. If, for example, a piano doesn't sound like a piano, nothing else matters, including frequency response, imaging, distortion or any other measurable or psychoacoustic factor.

The P1 circuit design does produce very accurate timbre with instrumental, percussion and vocal voices. Given the accuracy of this most important factor, we can consider other issues such as imaging, soundstage depth and width. These factors can be shaped to some extent in an amplifier circuit by the correct choice of active components, such as opamps, tubes, etc. As the perception of soundstage depth is primarily due to the difference in amplitude between instruments or vocalist front to back, an opamp must be able to play accurately and evenly at differing volume levels simultaneously. (In live performances, our vision also helps our ears to accurately perceive a sense of depth).

With all that said, I found the stock sound to be a bit brash and assertive for my taste, as if I was seated in the front row of an energetic performance. For those whose genre of choice is rock, this will likely prove quite satisfying. My preferences lean more towards classical and acoustic music, so I spent considerable time searching for an opamp that might be able to shade the sound a bit more to my preferences.

When evaluating opamps, some general guidelines to be observed are matching voltage requirements to supply voltage, low distortion, low offset voltage ( which can often be heard as a scratching sound when rotating the volume control without music playing) and, IMO most importantly, the ability to reproduce a perfect square-wave response without pre or post ringing. Any appreciable ringing can be perceived as a harshness or brittleness in percussive transients. There are relative few opamps that can actually reproduce a clean, accurate square-wave. Invariably, I have found those opamps which can to have the most natural and pleasing sound, especially when installed in a circuit of good design (which the P1 clearly possesses)

I used the following phones and IEM's to evaluate the P1 during my numerous sessions of opamp rolling: AQ Nighthawk, q-Jays v2 (dual BA), Pinnacle P1 (dynamic driver), Shozy BK earbuds, and MG5Pro {custom dynamic) IEM. I used only .wav files including various orchestral instruments as well as male and female vocalists with whom I am quite familiar. I also used some binaural recordings of thunder to get a sense of extremely low frequency ability.

Upon opening the case of the P1, I discovered that it is the bottom that should be removed, leaving the top with the buttons still attached to the front and back plates. Once uncovered, it revealed a beautiful board design with much attention clearly devoted to optimum component layout. The DIP socket for the only rollable opamp has a cap near each end which may pose a space issue for SOIC opamps soldered to an adapter. A good option is to use a DIP style opamp, taking care to ensure that it is a DUAL-channel and is inserted correctly.

Not being a big fan of the stock Muses opamp series, it was my goal to search for something smoother that delivered a presentation that moved me a few rows back when listening at my normal volume level.
Some of the opamps that I evaluated and made the cut to the finals were the LTC6241HV, EL8201, AD744, AD8616, and LME49860.
I felt that all of these delivered excellent overall performance with modest power requirements. None of them noticeably changed the frequency response, but rather made subtle changes to imaging, soundstage width and depth and perception of realism.

In the end, however, the overall winner was the AD8022. It has close to perfect square-wave response, very low distortion, extremely low-noise, high output and low quiescent current, in other words, about everything one could desire in an opamp used for audio purposes. I am pleased to report that when installed in the P1, it sounded as good as it looked on paper! Very smooth, with no frequency spikes or drops, bass that is almost palpable and a sense of realism that the others didn't quite deliver to my ears! Try it, I hope you will like it as much as I do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back