Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #20,671 of 24,615
Another great Lee Marvin movie is 1972s "Prime Cut".

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #20,672 of 24,615
Nothing as good as Perfect Blue to offer, but here's a couple of films I saw yesterday...

Point Blank - 7/10

Late 60s crime thriller starring Lee Marvin as Walker; a man on a mission. His mission is to recoup $93k from those he perceives as his debtors, following his being left for dead by a co-conspirator during in a heist.

Soooo, Payback was a remake or also based on a book. Shoulda known.

IMDB should really have this kind of info front and center. Was also unaware there was a directors cut to Payback. Also not front and center, at least not on the mobile app.

Not really a movie so off topic, but I've been slowly rewatching GiTS: SAC season 1 because I only have had short bits of free time in front of a big screen lately, and have been surprised at how good the filler or "stand alone" episodes are. Most of them do so much to flesh out the characters, team dynamic and the world they live in, filled with new and difficult choices. That's entirely the opposite of how I feel with most filler episodes of shows. An odd standout for me was episode 2, which is literally a tank given a brain rolling down a highway for 18 minutes with little drama or action, and manages to keep your interest and ask some very real questions that resonate regardless of outcome. Pretty good achievement to even pitch that script to someone.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #20,673 of 24,615
Soooo, Payback was a remake or also based on a book. Shoulda known.

IMDB should really have this kind of info front and center. Was also unaware there was a directors cut to Payback. Also not front and center, at least not on the mobile app.

Not really a movie so off topic, but I've been slowly rewatching GiTS: SAC season 1 because I only have had short bits of free time in front of a big screen lately, and have been surprised at how good the filler or "stand alone" episodes are. Most of them do so much to flesh out the characters, team dynamic and the world they live in, filled with new and difficult choices. That's entirely the opposite of how I feel with most filler episodes of shows. An odd standout for me was episode 2, which is literally a tank given a brain rolling down a highway for 18 minutes with little drama or action, and manages to keep your interest and ask some very real questions that resonate regardless of outcome. Pretty good achievement to even pitch that script to someone.

I really enjoyed SAC 1 the whole way through, it gets better as the season rolls on into the laughing man cuts.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #20,674 of 24,615
Stakeout - 8/10

I really like this series. The sequel is even funnier. Wouldn't mind seeing a part 3! Yes, really.
This one reminded me of the days of going to the local "Food City" grocery store in the late 80s and renting VHS tapes.
Some weekends we would get up to 3 each and stay up and watch them all. I probably haven't seen 3 movies in one day in years.

BTW has anyone ever watched a single movie back to back in one sitting?
Don't ask me how, but I did that with the movie "Envy". I also did that with "This must be the place" which is some sort of strange masterpiece (and not for everyone!).
There must be some others...

There are actually movies i've seen hundreds of times (The Great Escape and The Goonies).

As you can probably tell I was born in the 80s.

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #20,675 of 24,615
Logan: ~ 7/10

Logan was decent, but not particularly good. With Apocalypse receiving poor reviews from critics, Logan and Deadpool being somewhat disappointing (at least for me), X-Men film veterans leaving the franchise, and a new group of mutants being introduced (X-Men: The New Mutants coming out next year), I find myself wondering when they're going to stop with these X-Men movies. I'm thinking maybe the franchise should have ended with Days of Future Past, possibly the best X-Men movie.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #20,676 of 24,615
Logan: ~ 7/10

Logan was decent, but not particularly good. With Apocalypse receiving poor reviews from critics, Logan being somewhat of a disappointment (at least for me), X-Men film veterans leaving the franchise, and a new group of mutants being introduced (X-Men: The New Mutants coming out next year), I find myself wondering when they're going to stop with these X-Men movies. I'm thinking maybe the franchise should have ended with Days of Future Past, possibly the best X-Men movie.

When they stop making money. It's all about the $$; artistic integrity long since went out the window, if it was ever in the room in the first place.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #20,677 of 24,615
When they stop making money. It's all about the $$; artistic integrity long since went out the window, if it was ever in the room in the first place.
I think in the case of the X-Men franchise, it used to be. Yes, the primary purpose of filmmaking is to make money, and indeed, there are countless examples of series that went on for far too long (what are we on by now? Pirates of the Caribbean 25? Ice Age 37?), but I believe that money-making and good cinema can and do sometimes coalesce, despite what others may say. I think a couple of the X-Men films were quite good. Such as Days of Future Past, as I mentioned earlier.

Jun 25, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #20,678 of 24,615
Erin Brockovich - 10/10

I think this is one of the best movies ever made. I've seen it 4 times now and think it's near perfect. I only would have changed one part.
If it wasn't for Julia Roberts and Albert Finney this wouldn't be nearly as good.

BTW I need to check into more "Albert Finney" movies. He was good in "When the Devil Knows you're dead".
I need to watch "Under the Volcano" but it sounds depressing.

Found this in the $3.74 movie bin at Wal-Mart! Worth every penny.

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #20,679 of 24,615
Erin Brockovich - 10/10

I think this is one of the best movies ever made. I've seen it 4 times now and think it's near perfect. I only would have changed one part.
If it wasn't for Julia Roberts and Albert Finney this wouldn't be nearly as good.

BTW I need to check into more "Albert Finney" movies. He was good in "When the Devil Knows you're dead".
I need to watch "Under the Volcano" but it sounds depressing.

Found this in the $3.74 movie bin at Wal-Mart! Worth every penny.
I've never seen a movie that I would give a perfect 10/10, but I do agree that Erin Brockovich was good.

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #20,680 of 24,615
I've never seen a movie that I would give a perfect 10/10, but I do agree that Erin Brockovich was good.

I feel the same way about nothing that I've seen that I would give a perfect 10/10. But man...watched The Godfather again yesterday and man...that movie comes as close as any IMO. I've actually never seen the sequels for whatever reason (maybe I've always felt this first one ended well enough) so I'll be checking those out soon. I've also never seen Erin Brockovich...go figure.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #20,681 of 24,615
I feel the same way about nothing that I've seen that I would give a perfect 10/10. But man...watched The Godfather again yesterday and man...that movie comes as close as any IMO. I've actually never seen the sequels for whatever reason (maybe I've always felt this first one ended well enough) so I'll be checking those out soon. I've also never seen Erin Brockovich...go figure.

Lawrence of Arabia would do it for me.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #20,682 of 24,615
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 9/10

These days you normally couldn't pay me to see a Marvel super hero movie, but I was extremely bored and needed something fun to watch.
I totally got what I wanted with this movie. Possibly the most fun/entertaining comic book movie Marvel has made.
I paid $10 for the ticket and felt it was worth it. I wouldn't even mind seeing it again.

BTW I haven't seen the first movie. Maybe I should..
Last decent Marvel movie I saw was "Ant Man".

Also...I myself don't think a 10/10 movie has to be perfect. No movie is really every perfect. Maybe only a couple. Even Shawshank Redemption has a few minor issues I would have fixed.

Interstellar for me is as close as it gets. The only minor nitpick is the speech about love. It's a tiny bit cringe-worthy.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #20,683 of 24,615
If you take GOG 2 with the attitude of it being a highFX modern equivalent of the Batman TV series it is mindlessly entertaining to be sure.

They should have named Russel's character Pliskin though:wink:

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #20,684 of 24,615
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951): ~ 6/10

This movie has not aged well. The characters behaved in an erratic, unrealistic fashion.

I myself don't think a 10/10 movie has to be perfect.

But 10/10 is, by definition, a perfect score. The highest score I've ever given something didn't climb above 9.5/10. The movie I've given the highest score to was Schindler's List. Maybe I would have given that one a perfect score if it had been filmed in the languages that would have actually been spoken in that region of the world (German, Hebrew). A small issue yes (most would probably say a non-issue), but I tried to think of one thing I didn't like about the film and that was all I could think of. It isn't a big deal for me, but I wish that American-made movies that take place in foreign countries were filmed in the languages spoken in those countries rather than English.

On a different note, I want to see Schindler's List again. I've only seen it once.

If you take GOG 2 with the attitude of it being a highFX modern equivalent of the Batman TV series it is mindlessly entertaining to be sure.

They should have named Russel's character Pliskin though:wink:

That is funny. I literally just finished watching Escape From New York for the first time probably less than an hour ago.

Speaking of:

Escape From New York: ~ 7/10

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #20,685 of 24,615
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951): ~ 6/10

This movie has not aged well. The characters behaved in an erratic, unrealistic fashion.

But 10/10 is, by definition, a perfect score. The highest score I've ever given something didn't climb above 9.5/10. The movie I've given the highest score to was Schindler's List. Maybe I would have given that one a perfect score if it had been filmed in the languages that would have actually been spoken in that region of the world (German, Hebrew). A small issue yes (most would probably say a non-issue), but I tried to think of one thing I didn't like about the film and that was all I could think of. It isn't a big deal for me, but I wish that American-made movies that take place in foreign countries were filmed in the languages spoken in those countries rather than English.

On a different note, I want to see Schindler's List again. I've only seen it once.

That is funny. I literally just finished watching Escape From New York for the first time probably less than an hour ago.

Speaking of:

Escape From New York: ~ 7/10

Oh. Treat yourself to Big Trouble in Little China then. Arguably the high water mark in the Carpenter/Russel collaboration. Particularly the elevator scene:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back