flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 22, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #1,516 of 39,414
lol
Why not just enjoy Apple EarPods and not try hard in spending your money?
Why not enjoy something that cost 20 tines the price of that? Guess 10 times the price. I never looked at anything from Apple.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #1,517 of 39,414
Why always looking for an UPGRADE? Why not enjoy it and not try hard in spending your money?
For many that is the fun of the hobby, being in pursuit of perfection. With "perfection" being a highly subjective term that gets redefined with every new bit of technology that comes along. With technology developing as quickly as it does on top of that, there is always something a bit better, or even just different, to try out.

Ask yourself why you are here if you are not interested in the technology or in music? I am not one for the technology as such, but I love music and want to be able to listen to the most realistic reproduction of my music possible. My own interpretation of "perfection" also keeps changing. It was bass heavy and now seems to turn towards a preference for warm mid forward. I also used to prefer as much isolation as possible, but pressure issues with my custom IEMs has shown me how nice and airy earbuds are and has made me more interested in IEMs with ADEL, something unique like the Final Piano Forte VIII or IX, or indeed open-back headphones. I can't spend $1k+ right now, let alone $2k+, but if there is a moment where I have a bit of extra cash to spare I will certainly look into any of those options depending on my budget. For those who have their money less tied up I can fully understand the fun of trying out different options and new technologies.

I think my wife is glad I focus on this instead of my photography these days, as I was this close to getting into Leica. :smile:

May 22, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #1,518 of 39,414
I think my wife is glad I focus on this instead of my photography these days, as I was this close to getting into Leica.
Oh, how well I can relate to that. Think audio is addictive, LOL..?. photography can be much worse. :wink:
A full Fuji X system, and then, hmm, maybe I'll try Leica, fortunately I got happy with the Fuji system and dodged a very expensive bullet. My wife encourages my simple, fairly inexpensive audio habit - which is admittedly very lo/mid-fi and not extortionate - because the photography thing was getting *way* out of control. :)

May 22, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #1,519 of 39,414
Oh, how well I can relate to that. Think audio is addictive, LOL..?. photography can be much worse. :wink:
A full Fuji X system, and then, hmm, maybe I'll try Leica, fortunately I got happy with the Fuji system and dodged a very expensive bullet. My wife encourages my simple, fairly inexpensive audio habit - which is admittedly very lo/mid-fi and not extortionate - because the photography thing was getting *way* out of control. :)
Oh yes, the Fuji X system... I forgot about that. It is very nice! Would make a great compliment to my Canon 7D! :smile:

May 22, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #1,520 of 39,414
Mainly a larger soundstage while holding everything else. Vega is too intimate to me when listening to classical music.
A huge bass will usually reduce the air in the stage, creating a more congested feel to it. If you still want something of a similar quantity to Vega, you should try Lime Ears Aether (with bass switch ON). If you want a better bass quality, there are the hybrids: Oriolus 2, and AAW W500. Or try the Aether with bass switch OFF.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #1,521 of 39,414
A huge bass will usually reduces the air in the stage, creating a more congested feel to it. If you still want something of a similar quantity to Vega, you should try Lime Ears Aether (with bass switch ON). If you want a better bass quality, there are the hybrids: Oriolus 2, and AAW W500. Or try the Aether with bass switch OFF.
Huge bass will sound like being at a live real concert. Where the Music will be played in front of you. Less bass with drivers made for hearing aids will sound, in most cases, more airy.

May 22, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,522 of 39,414
Huge bass will sound like being at a live real concert. Where the Music will be played in front of you. Less bass with drivers made for hearing aids will sound, in most cases, more airy.
Except EE Zeus. It has pretty low bass quantity and barely any air.

May 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,523 of 39,414
Huge bass will sound like being at a live real concert. Where the Music will be played in front of you...
Sounds like my Solar
...Less bass with drivers made for hearing aids will sound, in most cases, more airy.
Sounds like my AR6

Still love them both for their own capacities / signatures :ksc75smile:

May 22, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,525 of 39,414
Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #1,527 of 39,414
i do not get it to be honest, when u are in a studio or in a concert the first thing u feel and hear is the bass impact. So how come then we appraise iems that are flat and bass less and call them to be true to how the artist recorded the music, well never in a studio or in a concert did i hear music without noticing how bass feels so impactful . So from where did this true to the recording come from for iems that u barley hear any bass from, i think to be honest an iem where u can barely hear the bass or its impact in the music is the farthest away form reflecting how it sounds in a studio or in a concert. Sorry to say it but those neutral iems with all honesty I think are so so so far away from reflecting an accurate recorded sound. When bass gets played in a studio you feel it no matter what genre it is. So how come some iems when you listen to music with them you barely feel that feeling in the song. Sorry again but to me something is not right here. Bass is bass no matter what genre it is in, no way on earth did I ever hear any recording in a studio or in concert like what I heard on some bass less iems that are called to be true to the sound.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,528 of 39,414
i do not get it to be honest, when u are in a studio or in a concert the first thing u feel and hear is the bass impact. So how come then we appraise iems that are flat and bass less and call them to be true to how the artist recorded the music, well never in a studio or in a concert did i hear music without noticing how bass feels so impactful . So from where did this true to the recording come from for iems that u barley hear any bass from, i think to be honest an iem where u can barely hear the bass or its impact in the music is the farthest away form reflecting how it sounds in a studio or in a concert. Sorry to say it but those neutral iems with all honesty I think are so so so far away from reflecting an accurate recorded sound

Thanks for posting this, I have the exact same feeling. Sometimes I wonder if these people ever go to live concerts. I have never been to a rock/metal concert without a very prominent bass, sometimes a little bit too much...:)

May 22, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,529 of 39,414
i do not get it to be honest, when u are in a studio or in a concert the first thing u feel and hear is the bass impact. So how come then we appraise iems that are flat and bass less and call them to be true to how the artist recorded the music, well never in a studio or in a concert did i hear music without noticing how bass feels so impactful . So from where did this true to the recording come from for iems that u barley hear any bass from

Well, we can objectively measure what is one the recording and how it is reproduced. In addition to running a freq sweep. But you know that. I do think it is an interesting discussion re: whether a bass boost is worthwhile in headphones to approximate the bass impact of live music or music reproduced by sizable speakers. In addition to a discussion of what driver design (separately from any freq boost) provides greater bass impact. DD was certainly a very noticeable change from my BA 846s, despite their own impressive bass performance.

In discussions of turntable design, Robert Greene has written about a top-down (Well Tempered Amadeus) vs. bottom-up (Townshend Rock) perspective in how an recording is illuminated. I lean towards bottom up, so am OK with some bass boost (especially when the mids and treble don't suffer too much as a result, which they don't on the Vega for my tastes). And I'm most certainly onboard with what DD adds to the quality of the bass in the Vega, boost aside.

There is also much to be said for the use of digital EQ to fine tune the dips and boosts in the freq response, if so desired. Other aspects of an IEM's sound may be much less easily changed (tho you'll be surprised how much EQ can affect).

May 22, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,530 of 39,414
Thanks for posting this, I have the exact same feeling. Sometimes I wonder if these people ever go to live concerts. I have never been to a rock/metal concert without a very prominent bass, sometimes a little bit too much...:)
I think that is the case, or something happened in the past years where it has been decided that the less bass means we can stick a label on it to be the truest to the sound label which is just ridiculous

i am just trying to figure out how on earth did the appraisal for bass less iems come from
I am an audiophile basshead as that is a new term, and no I do not like beats iems as the mids and highs are drowned. But for example I can not listen to iems or headphones where I do not feel the impact in bass. Anything that has less bass than shure 846 or tralucent ref1 or ie800 simply means that it is not a true reflection of how the artist played the music in the studio let alone in a concert. So if they an iem can not nail a true reflection of how bass sounds then that iem simply just failed in my books. It does not mean that all I care about is bass, as getting solid full layered mids and great detail in highs with a great sound stage is upmost important as well

One iem that I regret selling was the tralucent ref1, it seems I have to hunt down one again, as that had a huge sound stage, amazing bass the only grip was its mids were a bit thinner than I like but maybe they corrected that in ref1 too, as I had the first version of ref1. Ref1 was the only iem when I first heard it I was blown by its wide huge sound stage and literally it felt as hearing full size headphones compared to all the iems I own or owned. Then comes asg 2.5 amazing sound stage , great bass and mids, my only grip was its highs but I should have tried it with a silver cable before selling it. As for mids the best mids I ever heard were from Zeus R I just loved it mids

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back