flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,896 of 39,414
If you want 7kHz violence try the Hifiman HEX. Absolutely devastating for the Treble sensitive. My ears were ringing after just 1 hr with that

i always had an image of HEX being warm and intimate sounding, that is interesting will definitely give a try when i have chance :D

just sent pinky review of re-800 to one of my peculiar friend who loves to hear power metal on dunu dn-2000j, i believe he will be delighted

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,897 of 39,414
If you want 7kHz violence try the Hifiman HEX. Absolutely devastating for the Treble sensitive. My ears were ringing after just 1 hr with that
Yeah, you really have to keep to acoustic music to enjoy these. Then you can REALLY enjoy them. I actually love them for that.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,898 of 39,414
Tried both RE2000 and RE800 at a show today... Didn't like 'em.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,899 of 39,414
i always had an image of HEX being warm and intimate sounding, that is interesting will definitely give a try when i have chance :D

just sent pinky review of re-800 to one of my peculiar friend who loves to hear power metal on dunu dn-2000j, i believe he will be delighted
As a matter of fact, they are warm and somewhat darker Audeze like Treble but they have a nasty 7kHz spike which just goes on to decimate my ears. Also, I have found that some of the older members of headfi don't hear the 7kHz ringing.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,900 of 39,414
Let's see if HiFiMAN ever talks to me again. I'm already trying to convince them I'm the right guy to review the RE2000. :D
If they don't you will be in the boat I am with Cayin...but again I call 'em like I see(or hear) them. Sorry I won't shill for anyone. For the most part I am very fortunate to review some top of the line stuff that warrants great ratings it comes down to whether it is the signature someone is looking for.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #2,901 of 39,414
Yeah, you really have to keep to acoustic music to enjoy these. Then you can REALLY enjoy them. I actually love them for that.
I think the HEX is a fantastic headphone. Some of the best female vocals. Although I can't risk my hearing just because of that

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,902 of 39,414
From the review
"That said, the RE800 has harsh treble. Truly harsh. It was tuned with reckless abandon, resulting in aggression that’s long crossed the line into violence. These IEM’s want to hurt humans."
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

10/10 Review of the year. Would buy to torture ears

Yeah...I also went lol when I came to that part.
Excellent review (without the leash on) indeed :thumbsup:

believe it or not, for the hot treble head it may be appealing,
at least for me, now im really interested to try re800 , just want to know how bad that 7khz violence is
I'm afraid that I like The White Stripes too much to consider these myself :grin:

Btw, when I looked at the RE800 pics, they somehow reminded me (designwise) a bit of the FAD Piano Forte VIII
prod%20Pianoforte%20VIII.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,903 of 39,414
Btw, when I looked at the RE800 pics, they somehow reminded me (designwise) a bit of the FAD Forte VIII
prod%20Pianoforte%20VIII.jpg
I so badly want those Piano Forte, but they are a real niche product and I just can't make the compromises at the moment.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,906 of 39,414

And the Warbler lives to take another place! :D

Speaking of, the Warbler guys finally replied to my e-mail regarding universal demo units, and they claim development is underway but progressing slowly. Once they're done though, they'll be arranging distribution through retailers and Head-Fi tours as well.

P.S. In my excitement, I forgot to thank @flinkenick for coming back to the shoot-out and giving us more quality reviews. His hard work, regardless of whether or not you necessarily agree with his opinions, is spoiling us all :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,908 of 39,414

Great review and Nick absolutely nails the sound on these In ear monitors. They are FANTASTIC for classical music and just hits the sound without any color. True neutral monitors.

Also, Hate to be that guy but, check out my ad on the for sale forum for a used Universal Unique Melody Maestro V2 if you are interested in a truly TOTL in ear monitor.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #2,909 of 39,414
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,910 of 39,414
Great review and Nick absolutely nails the sound on these In ear monitors. They are FANTASTIC for classical music and just hits the sound without any color. True neutral monitors.

Also, Hate to be that guy but, check out my ad on the for sale forum for a used Universal Unique Melody Maestro V2 if you are interested in a truly TOTL in ear monitor.
Seen your add and have been kicking myself that I can't! Hope for you they get a new home soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back