R2R DA M1 Ultracap powered build

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions' started by bballas, Mar 5, 2017.

1. bballas
    chip,stages,analog,digital,left,right disturbing each other.
    super reg,ldo,choke,trafo don't improve this problem.

2. abartels
    @coinmaster

Yes, I know.

Sorry, not to be picky, but:

Not sure if you are "the kind of guy" who is into measurements only, or more the "listen with your ears" guy, I hope the latter, but since you promote 9038 Pro I'm affraid you prefer very low noise and distortion figures above real world characteristics.
    Listen to R2R with high(er) THD+N figures, or to top of the bill tube amps with lots of THD, and compare them with DS dacs or top of the bill solid state amps, I'm very confident that you would choose the R2R / Tube gear in a BLIND comparison.

Just my 2 cents...

Back on topic:

An infinite PSRR (mostly) is more important than lowest impedance. influence of all stages is ZERO with ultracaps.

I would say, just build one simple ultracap psu, if reading the thread you can see how it is build, on what kind of design it is based, in a nutshell:

1- Using a simple laptop adapter
    2- Using a DC-DC converter (CV/CC type) and set desired voltage and current
    3- Make a simple relay design which switches between full and empty ultracaps (be sure to choose the best relays for this design, maybe paladium contacts are the best, thanks to @b0bb his insights)
    4- Use a timer to switch to full ultracaps before the discharging ultracaps reach the lower voltage threshold.

Thats all.

Then, just listen to it, and compare it to the best superreg you have. Be sure to let the ultracaps psu "burn-in" twice as long as you should burn-in normal buffer caps (1 set op caps is used half the time, so takes double the time to burn-in)

Have fun :)

3. abartels
    New find, and only about 200Km from my home..........

http://transient-audio.nl/DAC_TWO.html

The modules, DAC One and DAC Two aren't seperate available, but there's a evaluationboard available which inludes 2x DAC One modules.
    I did send them an email today for pricing, very curious what they will cost!

[​IMG]

Quote:

DAC TWO
    The Dac Two is a modern high precision dac and is fully pin compatible with our DAC One module. Based on our "forward correction technology" the DAC Two is probably the best R2R ladder dac module ever made.
    Due to this technology a real 24 bits performance is realized and probably the most easy way to build up a converter system which can meet the best systems today in terms of sound quality.

Architecture
    The Dac Two is build up around two fast and very accurate R2R ladder networks. To match these ladder networks to real audio formats, fast FPGA logic is added and makes the dac compatible with RJ24 and I2S standards.
    The Dac Two is physically split up in two sections . The digital section is running on 5 Volt DC while the analog section is running on max. symmetrical +/- 12 Volts.
    Both positive or negative reference voltages can be used and gives a fully symmetrical voltage swing. The Dac Two can handle real 24 bit formats and brings linearity down to -144dB.

[​IMG]

Quote:

EVA
    The EVA mother board is designed for evaluation of our dac modules. The board is self supporting and can be used for coaxial S/PDIF signals up to 192 kHz sampling rate.
    By removing three jumpers the board can be used in conjunction with one of our DAI interface boards which gives you fully control but also can be used with other digital sources .
    Digital formats like RJ16,RJ24 and I2S can be used depends on jumper settings on the board. On demand special versions can be made. Please ask our development dept. for more information.
    As standard the EVA will be delivered including the Dac One modules.

Maybe this is a very good contender for building a very good R2R DAC powered by ultracaps? :)

It needs 5VDC and +/-12VDC but consumes only 2.5W in total, so probably a good contender for feeding with Ultracaps.

EDIT:

Metrum Acoustics uses them, see:
    http://www.metrum-acoustics.com/Pavane.html

Modules probably are too expensive for our DIY projects :frowning2:

Cheers :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  4. coinmaster
    I'm a "listen with my ears" guy but in terms of design I can't design blindly, I need to have some kind of design parameters because there is no way to know what method will produce the best sound.

When I design I go for the lowest distortion possible throughout my design, then I add in distortion after. There are a near infinite ways to add distortion so I think it's better to design with the intention of lowest possible distortion as a first measure, then tweak in distortion afterword.
    I always aim for both euphony and realism at the same time but that is hard to achieve when you have untamed distortion throughout the system.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. bballas
    Mike Wtb :
    "listening to the MSB Select II, after also living with the Trinity dac previously, it seems that using a dac which is able to eliminate any analog output stage (the dac produces sufficient voltage itself) allows for a more direct connection to the music. which is what I'm hearing and more closely approaches the analog character (the Select II more so than the Trinity dac)."

I know what you talk about Mike. Without output stage+Without transformers+without regulators=more analog character

6. bballas
    marvel_s_avengers_age_of_ultron_theatrical_poster_by_j_k_k_s-d8ktnbc.jpg :beerchug: