Quick question about reterminating HD650 cable for balanced use
Oct 27, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the info. So should the green wires go to pin 2 or pin 3?
Does it even matter?

If I solder both green wires go to pin 3, and it turns out to be the 'wrong', I can just invert the polarity using the front-panel switch on the DA10. Is this correct?

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 21
hey, thats funny, my stock cable has 1 green, 1 red and 2 copper colored cables.

i just bought this from sennheiser couple of weeks ago.

some1x, what colors did yours come with?

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap
hey, thats funny, my stock cable has 1 green, 1 red and 2 copper colored cables.

i just bought this from sennheiser couple of weeks ago.

some1x, what colors did yours come with?

That is the way they have always come
wink.gif

The copper is the (-) and the Red/Green (+)

Oct 28, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Thanks for the info. So should the green wires go to pin 2 or pin 3?
Does it even matter?

If I solder both green wires go to pin 3, and it turns out to be the 'wrong', I can just invert the polarity using the front-panel switch on the DA10. Is this correct?

Yes.
I use this for reference : http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/wiring.htm

Oct 28, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Pin 2 = Signal + <--- Red/Green
Pin 3 = Signal – <--- Copper
Pin 1 = Ground <--- Not used

not necessarily... the balanced black dragon Scrith got a while back originally came wired between pin 1 and pin 2 for whatever reason.
wink.gif
boy was he confused when his dynamight didn't output any sound at all (the dynamight balanced headphone out didn't have anything connected to the ground pin) although everything seemed to be working.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 21
Hi,

I too have a doubt regarding the connection of headphones using 4-pin XLR connectors and not the standard “TRS” phone stereo plug. According what I have read in the internet, a good XLR plug is a better connector than a standard TRS. I have a Grado HP-2 recabled with Moon Silver Dragon cable with a standard 1/4inch phone plug and, in the other end, directly hardwired to the drivers. Its 4 conductors are braided all together (not in two pairs) and encased in a common jacket, so perhaps I have a problem because I can’t find out what is the ground cable for each channel. If I open the ¼” connector, I’ll see one clear wire soldered to the tip of plug (left signal), other clear wire soldered to the ring (right signal) and two white wires soldered to the plug “sleeve” (common ground), but, as the 4 wires all go together into the cable “jacket”, I have no mean of knowing what of these white wires is the “left ground” and what is the “right ground” for correct soldering in the 4-pin XLR connector with separate grounds (however, I could clearly identify the “live” L and R wires looking at the part of the standard TRS plug they are soldered to and marking them before desoldering… my doubt is only the two “ground” wires).

However, perhaps this is of no importance. My amplifier is a two-channel single-ended (left and right inputs via RCA sockets), not balanced, and I think maybe it doesn’t matter what is the “left” ground and the “right” ground because, anyway, they will be joined at the “ground” pin of the ¼” output socket in the standard connection. The use of a 4-pin XLR will split this sole ground connection in two, but I’m wondering if in an unbalanced design (be a dual mono with independent power supplies or not) it is irrelevant what ground wire goes to each channel.
It is possible that in the new 4-pin XLR headphone plug the L ground and the R ground be reversed, so the “left signal” wire and the “right ground” wire will go to the left driver (and the “right signal” and the “left ground” to the right driver). Doing this, I’ll mix L and R channel grounds but, as they both are the same in an unbalanced amplifier, perhaps there will be no problem. Is this a problem? What is your advice on this?. I apologize if this question is a little dumb, but if I’m not sure about it, I’ll have to use a standard TRS connector and not the better sounding XLR.

Thank you for your help
Best regards

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 21
Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm about to balance my stock Senn HD 650 cable.

I think I've got it: copper is the (-) and the Red/Green (+) (thanks grandenigma). Nothing connected to the ground pin, right?

Why do we not use the ground pin on the xlr connectors in headphone applications?

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread. I'm about to balance my stock Senn HD 650 cable.

I think I've got it: copper is the (-) and the Red/Green (+) (thanks grandenigma). Nothing connected to the ground pin, right?

Why do we not use the ground pin on the xlr connectors in headphone applications?

The ground can be used for a shield if you desire but certainly not necessary and often not used.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ground can be used for a shield if you desire but certainly not necessary and often not used.

Thanks! Out of curiosity would you mind explaining why it is unnecessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back