Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread
Feb 15, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #136 of 553
  @Netforce   thanks for the update!  Would love to have the option to order the clear top.  Let me know if you here anything about the usb driver updates.  I had one quick question, during all the shows did you guys ever get a chance to try the he-6 with the 600i?  Ive seen a few people say how awesome they sounded with the 800r monoblocks.  No one really seems to agree with how much power is required for the he-6 and its more related to the power supply.  Im looking for my next headphone and leaning towards the hd800 or the he-6, and would be nice to not need another amp if i go with the he-6 :3

I should be talking with Bruce tomorrow to see if there is any update with the USB issue, I'll post any new updates as it has been some time since I got an update.

Back in the summer I had a chance to play with the He-6 at an event. A friend brought in his pair and we got it plenty powered on the 600i. Obviously the 800r in monoblocks aren't a slouch but I haven't found a headphone I couldn't drive with the 600i. The Akg k1000 I really loved hearing at one meet with the 600i.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 15, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #137 of 553
I should be talking with Bruce tomorrow to see if there is any update with the USB issue, I'll post any new updates as it has been some time since I got an update.

Back in the summer I had a chance to play with the He-6 at an event. A friend brought in his pair and we got it plenty powered on the 600i. Obviously the 800r in monoblocks aren't a slouch but I haven't found a headphone I couldn't drive with the 600i. The Akg k1000 I really loved hearing at one meet with the 600i.

That's really neat about the k1000. Really interesting headphone! Was lucky enough to hear one at the Charolette meet 2 summers ago

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #139 of 553
Can anyone elaborate on the USB issue? Do the drop outs only happen when there's no music stream?

I experienced a click/popping sound at the beginning of playing a track if I would have the unit idle for anytime greater than one minute and then hit play. As if the unit went to sleep after one minute. If you are using the 600i for continuous play then that popping isn't so annoying but if you pause and play often or use it as the main system for all audio out (streaming youtube etc.) from your computer then it may get on your nerves. Other than this issue the unit sounds very pleasant.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #140 of 553
I experienced a click/popping sound at the beginning of playing a track if I would have the unit idle for anytime greater than one minute and then hit play. As if the unit went to sleep after one minute. If you are using the 600i for continuous play then that popping isn't so annoying but if you pause and play often or use it as the main system for all audio out (steaming youtube etc.) from your computer then it may get on your nerves. Other than this issue the unit sounds very pleasant.

What files are you playing when you get the pops and clicks? I just had a conversation with a customer yesterday who told me that he wondered about the issue but he himself had never heard it. I forget what files he only used ( burned his SACD 's onto his computer). I wondered if it's with specific formats and that's why some people hear it and others don't.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #141 of 553
What files are you playing when you get the pops and clicks? I just had a conversation with a customer yesterday who told me that he wondered about the issue but he himself had never heard it. I forget what files he only used ( burned his SACD 's onto his computer). I wondered if it's with specific formats and that's why some people hear it and others don't.

I'm just playing MP3's or streaming music. I heard that there is a click when switching between pcm and dsd, but don't have the files to test that. I don't think my issue is with the file format.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #142 of 553
I experienced a click/popping sound at the beginning of playing a track if I would have the unit idle for anytime greater than one minute and then hit play. As if the unit went to sleep after one minute. If you are using the 600i for continuous play then that popping isn't so annoying but if you pause and play often or use it as the main system for all audio out (streaming youtube etc.) from your computer then it may get on your nerves. Other than this issue the unit sounds very pleasant.

So it's basically like soft relays clicking? My HD-DAC1 does this as well and it doesn't bother me. Bought.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #143 of 553

So it's basically like soft relays clicking? My HD-DAC1 does this as well and it doesn't bother me. Bought.

Yeap. It does not bother me either.  Awesome unit!! 

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #144 of 553
@reiserFS   I guess the clicks others are having are different from the ones im having.  The pops and clicks didnt get triggered by any behavior, they were there the moment i turned on the amp.  They were seemingly random occurances, then eventually a random usb driver crash would take place and stop sound to the device.  I tested it on several sources and setups and the issues were present every time.  But listening through optical removes any issues, and it sounds amazing paired with my lcd 2.1's

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #146 of 553
I just bought Focal Elear and I will use it in my home on my PC so I think I need desktop amp/dac since I don't have one. Questyle CMA600i is on my list but after I have found out that they will release CMA400i I think I am more interested with CMA400i because most of my audio gear is iem and I only have two full-size headphones, Elear and R70X and they relatively not that hard to drive. Can't wait to hear more about CMA400i.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #147 of 553
Hi all!

I finally recieved my Focal Elear last week and spent some wonderful hours last weekend listening to long time favourites on a new level. But as usual when acquiring a new HP that little nagging voice materialised inside my head and whispered: "Step up your DAC/Amp game and you will get even better results." Right, long time no hear...
biggrin.gif

After a few hours of research in the seedier depths of related blogs, forums, reviews, you name it, I came across the Questyle CMA600i, in general favorable reviews and a pairing recommendation to my Elear from Moon Audio. And then I stumbled across this clicking noise situation when fed via USB. Quick question: does this only occur when you hook the Questyle up to a PC/MAC or is it also present when using the USB output of a dedicated media player/renderer like the Auralic Aries Mini? I happen to have one of those and the USB connection would be my favored choice since it´s the only way to transport 32/384 output to an external DAC.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #148 of 553
i could be wrong, but from what i understand its a problem with the dac chip so theres a possibility it will.  When i did my testing, the issue was present in both Mac and Win OSes.  Since your Dac uses same drivers the mac OS uses theres a chance it might.  But honestly at this point im losing hope.  Its been 10 months since i bought this , its probably been 6 months since weve been hearing new drivers coming soon.  I havent  been able to use this with my main setup so im starting to look at other options, its too pricy to be used as a secondary source.   Its a shame cause it looks great and sounds great.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #150 of 553
About volume control.

First thing on my device with no volume at all (button turned  left completely) I can hear the music with 32 and 110 Ohms headphones.

Is it the same for you or maybe is my unit defective ?

Questyle customer service assure it's normal and I'm quite surprised.

Then you can imagine I don't have to turn the button much to get too loud. The lack of precision in volume control is very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back