Q-Jays are back.
Mar 21, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #376 of 456
I received my q-JAYS AE yesterday. First impressions are good, very balanced sound and articulate trebles portrayed with a great sense of ease. The one thing that was a surprise is they distort when played at higher volume levels compared to my other IEMs.

Can you compare to other TWFK IEMs that you've owned or heard?

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #377 of 456
Mar 21, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #378 of 456
Pardon my ignorance, but what is TWFK?

A DWFK with less bass :)

TWFK is a Knowles dual armature driver. DWFK is indeed actually the bass oriented version of TWFK.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #379 of 456
A DWFK with less bass :)

TWFK is a Knowles dual armature driver.

I'm new to the BA world, so these acronyms go over my head.

Anyway, this is the first dual BA IEM I've owned, so I can't compare it to any other similar design. What I can say is the Final FI-BA-SS (I own the AKR02 version), is a decided step better than the q-JAYS, but that's to be expected given the large price difference.

Still, I'm happy with my purchase; the q-JAYS AE are very nice sounding to my ears and compliment my other IEMs.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #380 of 456
Pardon my ignorance, but what is TWFK?

Have you owned any of the following?

VSonic GR01
VSonic VC1000
UE700
Q-Jays
EXS X20
Audio Technica CK10
Astrotec AX7
Fischer Audio DBA-02 (MkII)
Rock-It Sounds R-50(M)
Brainwavz B2

They all have the same dual BA under the hood. What separates them is tuning.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #381 of 456
Have you owned any of the following?

VSonic GR01
VSonic VC1000
UE700
Q-Jays
EXS X20
Audio Technica CK10
Astrotec AX7
Fischer Audio DBA-02 (MkII)
Rock-It Sounds R-50(M)
Brainwavz B2

Nope. I've always been a dynamic driver type of guy, but after my recent purchase of the AKR02, my world changed. Now I'm interested in BA designs, hence, my q-JAYS AE purchase.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #382 of 456
I received my q-JAYS AE yesterday. First impressions are good, very balanced sound and articulate trebles portrayed with a great sense of ease. The one thing that was a surprise is they distort when played at higher volume levels compared to my other IEMs.

curious what kind of distortion you mean? Have not noticed problems, but I probably wouldn't unless it were super obvious... guess I tend to listen at lower volumes also.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #383 of 456
curious what kind of distortion you mean? Have not noticed problems, but I probably wouldn't unless it were super obvious... guess I tend to listen at lower volumes also.

If I turn up the volume using my Mojo to loud levels my other IEMs easily handle, the q-JAYS distort, sounding overdriven. Once I lower the volume a few dB, everything is fine. I wonder if their tiny size has anything to do with it.

I'm going to reach out to JAYS just to make sure this is typical behavior.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #384 of 456
I have contacted Jays number of occasion asking for after market cable with 2.5mm option. They told me they dont have non but things might change in the future. Maybe those who are interested should contact them so they can know there is a market for it, maybe they can do a limited batch for those who are willing to pay in advance?

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #385 of 456
I have contacted Jays number of occasion asking for after market cable with 2.5mm option. They told me they dont have non but things might change in the future. Maybe those who are interested should contact them so they can know there is a market for it, maybe they can do a limited batch for those who are willing to pay in advance?

Is there a connection standard that they're using? MMCX?

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #387 of 456
Would a general MMCX cable fit?

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #389 of 456
The connector is referred to as a SSMCX. My AKR02 uses the same fitting, so it is not exclusive.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #390 of 456
The connector is referred to as a SSMCX. My AKR02 uses the same fitting, so it is not exclusive.

Technically a normal SSMCX doesn't have any thread, but with a snap-on design just like MMCX. This kind of threaded SSMCX is unique to q-JAYS 2 and AKR02. Even if you go out and get a cable with normal SSMCX connector, it still won't fit q-JAYS 2. As I recall reading quite awhile ago that A&K doesn't sell replacement cable for AKR02, so the only possible replacement cable for q-JAYS is from JAYS themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back