Problem with Fiio Q1 DAC/AMP
May 23, 2017 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pKasra

New Head-Fier
Hello
I did tons of research about using this Fiio Q1 portable DAC with a smartphone and turned out it significantly boosts audio quality compared to the phone itself. So I got one, and it works with my Samsung Note 3 via OTG but it adds absolutely no benefits to the sound except the volume is louder, which I don't care about.
I also tested the Fiio X3 gen2 in the store (which is known for it's output being similar to Q1) with the same headphones and everything, and the difference was as night and day.
So... am I missing something here? What do you suggest?

My headphones are Shure SE215. I'm using .flac 96/24 files via Player Pro (High-res output via USB is enabled)

PS: Did test it on my PC (Windows 10) and it made no difference in PC audio either.

May 23, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 12
Hello
I did tons of research about using this Fiio Q1 portable DAC with a smartphone and turned out it significantly boosts audio quality compared to the phone itself. So I got one, and it works with my Samsung Note 3 via OTG but it adds absolutely no benefits to the sound except the volume is louder, which I don't care about.
I also tested the Fiio X3 gen2 in the store (which is known for it's output being similar to Q1) with the same headphones and everything, and the difference was as night and day.

My headphones are Shure SE215. I'm using .flac 96/24 files via Player Pro (High-res output via USB is enabled)

PS: Did test it on my PC (Windows 10) and it made no difference in PC audio either.
I've noticed your concerns with other members. It's infuriating... you spend the cash, and get meh results. I'd keep searching the forums for "Fiio Q1" and "troubleshooting" and/or "tweaking". Don't lose your nut, pKasra.

May 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 12
I did tons of research about using this Fiio Q1 portable DAC with a smartphone and turned out it significantly boosts audio quality compared to the phone itself.

That assumes your phone, at best, piles on distortion at the output level required to get whatever headphone or earphone to the loudness level you want; or at worst, the phone has too many issues with its headphone output. Low output level with high distortion and noise levels, bad channel separation, high output impedance, etc.

So I got one, and it works with my Samsung Note 3 via OTG but it adds absolutely no benefits to the sound except the volume is louder, which I don't care about.

None of the abov factors I wrote above are true for the Note 3 when driving IEMs, which have very high sensitivity and therefore do not need a lot of power (at worst, most require a low output impedance). The Galaxy Note series are the among the cleanest sounding smartphones out there, and more consistently better with sound quality vs the varying versions of the Galaxy S line. My S1 and S3 just don't cut it on some IEMs - the S sounded warm and relaxed to the point of boring, the S3 was a little clearer in the midrange but had bloated bass. My brother's Note and Note 2, plus my Note 3 and Note 4, all had zero issues driving my IEMs.

Software. DAP firmware are known to affect the sound a little bit, but you'd have to provide more details on what exactly "night and day" is like. Drastically different, but how? What exactly is night like and likewise, day? Do you mean night is tonally dark and day is tonally bright?

May 23, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 12
I recently got a Fiio Q1 as well. Except, for me it improves my PC audio quite noticeably. And yet when I try to connect it to my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) via a micro to micro OTG cable, the sound quality is not noticeably improved though it still works as an amp. Also, when I use the Q1 with my PC it just sounds better when plugged into my phone. I'm not sure if that means the DAC of the Fiio is not working with my smartphone or not.

May 24, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 12
I recently got a Fiio Q1 as well. Except, for me it improves my PC audio quite noticeably. And yet when I try to connect it to my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) via a micro to micro OTG cable, the sound quality is not noticeably improved though it still works as an amp...I'm not sure if that means the DAC of the Fiio is not working with my smartphone or not.

If you're using USB, the smartphone can output only digital and in the same manner the Q1 can only receive digital. If you can hear music coming out of your earphones when the phone is plugged into the Q1 via USB, you're listening with the Q1's DAC and amplifier circuit. Digital data goes in, DAC chip on Q1 decodes it, sends it to the output stage; from there it can go out via the Line Out port or go through the headphone amplifier stage and potentiometer then out the headphone output socket. DAC and HPamp stages are separate parts but that doesn't mean they can't work together (otherwise why put them in the same chassis?).

Also, when I use the Q1 with my PC it just sounds better when plugged into my phone.

Better in what way exactly?

May 24, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 12
If you're using USB, the smartphone can output only digital and in the same manner the Q1 can only receive digital. If you can hear music coming out of your earphones when the phone is plugged into the Q1 via USB, you're listening with the Q1's DAC and amplifier circuit. Digital data goes in, DAC chip on Q1 decodes it, sends it to the output stage; from there it can go out via the Line Out port or go through the headphone amplifier stage and potentiometer then out the headphone output socket. DAC and HPamp stages are separate parts but that doesn't mean they can't work together (otherwise why put them in the same chassis?).

Better in what way exactly?
Okay thanks a lot for confirming that. I had a hunch that was the case but I was unsure. I feel a lot better about my purchase now!

I was comparing some tracks from an album between my phone and PC with the Q1 and it seemed to me that the audio from my phone seemed slightly less "full", less warm, etc. though I tried to match the volumes. In retrospect this may be an issue with the source - that album may have been downloaded on my phone's spotify app before I remembered to change the quality to 320kbps, the same as on my PC. I just compared some tracks from another album and I can scarcely tell the difference. Thanks.

May 25, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Software. DAP firmware are known to affect the sound a little bit, but you'd have to provide more details on what exactly "night and day" is like. Drastically different, but how? What exactly is night like and likewise, day? Do you mean night is tonally dark and day is tonally bright?
I mean it was just, "better". I'm not sure how to explain that since I'm a newbie when it comes to audio. I just enjoyed the music so much more with the X3ii, The bass was deeper, I could here the same music much clearer and sharper, vocals were so alive I was shocked. I heard Hotel California by Eagles and the sound stage was so decent for a moment I felt I'm using another set of headphones. It definitely wasn't like what I'm used to hear from these Shure SE215.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 12
I mean it was just, "better". I'm not sure how to explain that since I'm a newbie when it comes to audio. I just enjoyed the music so much more with the X3ii, The bass was deeper, I could here the same music much clearer and sharper, vocals were so alive I was shocked. I heard Hotel California by Eagles and the sound stage was so decent for a moment I felt I'm using another set of headphones. It definitely wasn't like what I'm used to hear from these Shure SE215.

Firmware wiht audio filters that affects the sound by basically making the midrange more prominent could be the easiest explanation. Or you were listening slightly louder on the X3 vs the Q1. Or possibly a little bit of both.

May 26, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 12
BTW I wasn't alone in the store, my friend also did the test and he was greatly impressed too. So that way I know I'm not just building it up in my mind.
Firmware wiht audio filters that affects the sound by basically making the midrange more prominent could be the easiest explanation. Or you were listening slightly louder on the X3 vs the Q1. Or possibly a little bit of both.
So do you confirm that X3 and Q1 technically have the same-ish output in regard of sound quality? I'm just a little bit confused here...

May 26, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 12
FiiO Q1 is a little bit warmer and more cohesive than FiiO X3II in my experience. The difference is subtle but still there.
Using an external DAC with a phone can be tricky some times, even when you actually get sound out of it. You can always try a quality app like USB Audio Player PRO, it might help to make the DAC work as it should. Similarly on the computer try to use foobar2k and wasapi(event) to get the best results.

May 26, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 12
FiiO Q1 is a little bit warmer and more cohesive than FiiO X3II in my experience. The difference is subtle but still there.
Using an external DAC with a phone can be tricky some times, even when you actually get sound out of it. You can always try a quality app like USB Audio Player PRO, it might help to make the DAC work as it should. Similarly on the computer try to use foobar2k and wasapi(event) to get the best results.
Yes I've tried them both on PC the foobar and USB Audio Player PRO on Android. Results were the same (kinda).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back