Powering/Connecting Bookshelves decently on a budget? (Replacing crappy L&R speakers on CD player system)
Apr 18, 2017 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Bubblejuice

500+ Head-Fier
This is my first time dealing with speakers that have speaker wire jacks in the back. I found this pair of speakers today at Goodwill for $10 for the pair. 

TEAC bookshelves are LS-MC90s. They are 60watt max, 6 ohms. They use speaker wire.

I've had my TEAC MC-DX32i which I use solely for the CD player for a while now, but I really don't like the sound of the tiny flat speakers that came with it. 

My TEAC CD player is permanently bound to the small sub-woofer (the power supply is in sub-woofer). It sends 15 watts to sub-woofer and 5 watts to the left speaker and 5 watts to the right speaker through RCA cables.

I would like to replace the crappy flat left and right speakers with these bookshelf speakers.

So my issues are:

1) Probably not enough power for bookshelves.

2) RCA and Speaker wire don't exactly mix (as far as I've read on other posts).

3) The Sub-woofer is bound to the CD player so a receiver might negate the sub-woofer. (Just guessing here).

I know very little about electricity or speakers, so any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

EDIT: I ended up getting a Lepai 2020A+ amp. It's not the greatest. But it works! My system sounds 10 times better now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back