Portable DAP for Tidal
Aug 30, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 136
Yea man I think you are better off using a phone + DAC. Ive pondered this and I dont think any premium DAP would have a decent UI for android apps. I too am looking for the ultimate portable rig.

Stacks are such a PITA though!

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #17 of 136
Is there a DAP that will support Tidal offline mode (i.e. native app) that WON'T use a resampling filter? With digital out for the Mojo?

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 136
How do you handle CCA EQ?

It looks like Google has no intent to add EQ software to the CCA device and controller software within the Chromecast app ;(

Bummer, there was so much promise for CCA streaming to self-powered monitor speakers, component power amps, headphones, and earbuds :frowning2:

https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/detail?id=705

Project Member #63 sya...@google.com
Code:
 Chromecast Audio was designed to provide streaming content from the service provider. Processing of that content is not part of the feature set. Chromecast Audio is designed to feed audio systems of a very broad variety, across a wide range of user tastes, and many of those provide their own post-processing feature sets. Chromecast Audio was not intended to provide redundant capabilities in that regard.

I guess we can ask the question why google play music still doesn't have EQ built in 
basshead.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 136
I'm using my iPhone 7 Plus as a DAP and the Oppo HA-2 as DAC/Amp with excellent results.  IOS has the Tidal app which will allow you to stream and download Tidal files to the phone for offline use all in CD quality.

Enjoy The Music! 

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #22 of 136
  I'm using my iPhone 7 Plus as a DAP and the Oppo HA-2 as DAC/Amp with excellent results.  IOS has the Tidal app which will allow you to stream and download Tidal files to the phone for offline use all in CD quality.

Enjoy The Music! 

Hey, I also have a Iphone 7 Plus and Oppo HA-2se.  So the Tidal app knows its sending Hi-Fi files to Oppo for conversion?

Can Tidal even do Hi-Fi audio without a DAC?

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 136
  X7- and Dp-X1 it seems to me

Yea sadly after a LOT of searching the options are A&K line (hellz no, i am NOT paying significantly more for an audio player than I am for my phone), Fiio X7 (S/PDIF out is restricted to 96khz and i have enough files with 192 for that to be an issue), DP-X1 and pioneer xdp-100. Somehow I don't like the latter 2, their UI is basically toned down android with no effort to make it seem like anything else, I don't want to feel like i'm using a cheap smartphone, that's one thing I like about the AK series (as far as I can tell, the android stuff isn't really exposed, it feels like you're using a music player) or Fiio (you can switch between 'pure music' and 'android mode'). 

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #24 of 136
So I've been researching the last few days, and have NOT been able to find something that is <$1000 has tidal AND optical out (I don't trust android+USB OTG, and it's VERY hard to get a 2foot digital coax cable here). Can someone correct me on this? (upcoming Dx200?)

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #25 of 136
do i need to be able to log in to tidal to access offline lists? for eg im on a plane or train with no wifi and im not logged in to tidal. can i just pick offline and start playing my download tracks without having to log in assuming im not already logged in. i haven't been able to get a definitive answer here.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 136
  do i need to be able to log in to tidal to access offline lists? for eg im on a plane or train with no wifi and im not logged in to tidal. can i just pick offline and start playing my download tracks without having to log in assuming im not already logged in. i haven't been able to get a definitive answer here.

Well yes,  you have to login to play ANYTHING at all. If I'm understanding you correct, you can't do anything without logging in (except maybe try out a few tracks?) 

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #27 of 136
Then what is the point of offline if i find myself on a train with no wifi coverage and therefore i am unable to log in to tidal to start with to access my offline tracks?

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #28 of 136
  Then what is the point of offline if i find myself on a train with no wifi coverage and therefore i am unable to log in to tidal to start with to access my offline tracks?

I think I misunderstood you or your intentions perhaps: You just have to login ONCE, like the first time in order to actually go in and store offline tracks, you don't log out everytime you close the app so just open it again and it will be in offline mode.

Edit: Confirmed with my nexus phone. When you open the app while offline it says "Offline, please connect" or some such. THen you can go to "offline content" in the menu and play your offline stored files from there. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #29 of 136
The Fiio X5 3rd Gen hopefully should (keeping my eye on this one)

Using the excellent Chord Mojo with an upcoming Chord Poly  with audio streamed over Wi-Fi from your favourite phone (my preferred choice as always have a phone with me with my Synced streaming account and just love the Mojo sound quality so much).

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 136
  The Fiio X5 3rd Gen hopefully should (keeping my eye on this one)

Using the excellent Chord Mojo with an upcoming Chord Poly  with audio streamed over Wi-Fi from your favourite phone (my preferred choice as always have a phone with me with my Synced streaming account and just love the Mojo sound quality so much).

My only issue with Fiio (and this is why i didn't get fiio x7) is their shady "LO/Coaxial combined input" thing that they are doing. I say "shady" only because the manual/website has a warning about using regular Coaxial cables or some such. (Does anyone have any experience with this? I AM jumping to conclusions but I've had too many bad experiences with fiio and USB-OTG I'm a bit gun shy).

Side note: OMG dx200 is starting to sound MORE and MORE awesome, MRP is a BIT on the expensive side but I'm sure if i wait a few months I can get a 20% or 30% or so discount off MRP, at least. Tidal+nice UI (looks like)+optical/coaxial out (the dx80 one works wonderfully). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back