Please put my mind at ease. First time feeling regret.
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have been at this hobby for a long time and I have yet to feel regret over a purchase until now and I dont even have the headphones in my possession yet. I am hoping once I have them it goes away, but who knows. so here is the story.
I purchased a Schiit stack with a vali 2 and a modi 2 multi bit with a pair of akg k7xx and love it. This made me want a pair of hd6xx. The mass drop was going on but at 250 and 6 month wait I passed. Price dropped to 200 but still 6 months and I might not be living in same place so I put up classified for hd6xx. Of course as expected no luck. So I change my listing to include hd650 and raise my price a little to include shipping at 230.00. I know that is pretty low for a pair of hd650, but I am not thrilled with the color option on them compared to the hd6xx. Some one contacts me at the top of my budget but does not include shipping and we negotiate a bit and i show usps shipping for less and less time and what I though good. Dont get me wrong. It is a fair price and seller did come down on his price. Seller winds up shipping ups ground and it will take 7 days vs the cheaper usps priority 2 day shipping that allows weekend deliveries I thought we agreed on. So now I have a paid of headphones I was not completely 100 percent looking for and settled on and waiting on shipping 7 days.

Maybe it is the bad experience with ebay and amazon the past month and the lack of sleep and I am hoping once they arrive everything will melt away. But man I dont understand why people are still using Ups when usps is cheaper and faster 98% of the time. If he insisted on ups I probably would have passed on the whole deal. I know the hd650 are worth this price, Dont get me wrong. Its not that. Its the fact that they were not 100% exactly what I was looking for and I was settling and was over the price I was really wanting to spend.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 11
Have you ever heard the HD800? That sounds like the Headphone you are seeking ?

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 11
No. I have not, and the headphone i was looking for was the hd6xx.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 11
HD800 is an enhance over the top HD600.

Also to my knowledge the HD6xx is a HD650 in deguise. It is the exact same. HD650 is a more colour warm headphone compare to the HD600 that is more neutral and detail

Also sorry but were you talking about the color paint on the headphone ? Or colour of the sound of the headphone?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 11
IT came down to color of plastic and price. I know the 6xx is just a rebagged hd650, that was never the issue. I wanted a hd6xx and was setteling on the 650 and was spending more then i wanted to on them, then the whole shipping debacle. I am sure once they arrive i will be thrilled and all will be forgotten.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 11
I see. Well patient is the key.
You could always paint them? Take them apart and put any coating you want. I painted 2 HD800.
Sand, wash, sand, wash, primer, wash, paint
9958197.jpg

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 11
So what was the real question in the OP?

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 11
THere is not really a question thus its inbthe general discusion and not in a specific forum. Its a venting thread hoping i feel better by the time they arrive.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I was confused. Vent ahoy!

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Well seller and I spoke and all is good now. Just have to wait on them. They will be here Wednesday. Hopefully time will go by quickly. Gives me time with my k7xx.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 11
This brings up a good question. I understand why businesses use UPS. It's easier for them. I saves them money. After all, USPS is a government run entity and by definition do not cater to the will of the free market well.

But you can ship 2 day Priority for less than 5-7 day UPS. It's not less convenient for an individual shipper. You still have the same legwork comparing the two. The only benefit I can see that UPS has over USPS Priority is they have more up to date and accurate tracking. But who cares when you are enjoying your purchase two days later. I'd rather have my new headphones(or whatever) in hand vs waiting an additional 3-5 days and $10 out of pocket more but have accurate tracking.

I just shipped out a set of headphones on Friday. I live in Oregon. They are going to Long Island. They will be there on Monday. Pretty amazing. Oh, by the way, the tracking last update says they left my local USPS in my town. Nothing after that, but they will be there by noon tomorrow. USPS tracking is almost useless except for buyer to see that the item was actually shipped. I'm sure the buyer is happy as heck I used USPS despite the goofy tracking.

Does anyone here prefer UPS to ship and why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back