Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #12,331 of 15,268

Not trying to disagree with you: what you hear is what you hear. But I just don't hear sibilance in my X2s...not to any real/significant degree. I just cued up a number of cuts that are borderline bright, depending on electronics and headphones. And through the X2s, they're just not bright, neither vocalists or instrumentals. In fact, the bass and soundstaging are so fine that I keep forgetting my little "mission" (find the sibilance in the X2s) & get sucked into this or that earhole.

Maybe it's my electronics, all carefully chosen to avoid unnatural brightness (to which I'm extremely sensitive) and give me tonality that I hear in live music. Right now I'm listening through the Violectric V281, which is not inherently bright--though it is almost absurdly dynamic, and those shocking transients can sometimes be mistaken for brightness (they're not--in fact, the notes roll in with a wallop from top to bottom of the frequency range). The V281 is a bass monster, and the X2s are right there, keeping up. My DAC is the non-oversampling R2 R design from Audio GD, the NOS 19. It's the least "digital" DAC I've ever heard: zero glare or tonal thin-ness; instead, a full, organic, relaxed sound with excellent, slightly "wet" sounding bass (ie, not dry, cut-outs of instruments, but full-bodied & impactful).

The X2s sound AMAZING through this equipment. They also sound pretty amazing through all my other HP amps, also quite good through my favorite el cheapo delta-sigma DAC, the Peachtree Audio DAC iTx (transients are sharper than w/the NOS 19, for sure...but the X2s still don't really sound sibilant/bright).

(I'll have great difficulty getting the X2s off my head tonight)

Anyway, I'm hearing what I always hear from the X2s...rich, expansive soundstaging, the kind sealed designs never quite get; a relaxing, friendly sound with lots of bass, mid-bass, and lower midrange energy--and little or no glare, brightness, sibilance, etc. I'm not sure if the X2s are V-shaped, U-shaped, or just a little tipped up in the bass and slightly down in the mids. I've surely heard headphones sound "bright" (just not these).

I've heard other headphones that do "technicalities" better than the X2s--but so what? For $200 they're not only a screaming bargain, but they suit my sonic preferences as well as any component I've heard in ~40 years of audiophile wandering.[/QUOTE]

FWIW the way you describe them are identical to the way I feel about them. Maybe we just got equally old ears :wink:

Like you I also have great systems to connect it too and soundstage for example is much better through the Burson V2+ than it was through my old FiiO E12 (which had a very narrow presentation, even the Cayin C5 was much better in that area), to my ears the soundstage is on par with that one my Q701's but feels more natural. Like you said: no one is wrong and we do all hear things different but amplifier, source, pairing and music/recordings does also play a part in the whole picture.

Edit: don't know what happened with that quote, this new site........ sigh.......

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #12,332 of 15,268

Not trying to disagree with you: what you hear is what you hear. But I just don't hear sibilance in my X2s...not to any real/significant degree. I just cued up a number of cuts that are borderline bright, depending on electronics and headphones. And through the X2s, they're just not bright, neither vocalists or instrumentals. In fact, the bass and soundstaging are so fine that I keep forgetting my little "mission" (find the sibilance in the X2s) & get sucked into this or that earhole.

Maybe it's my electronics, all carefully chosen to avoid unnatural brightness (to which I'm extremely sensitive) and give me tonality that I hear in live music. Right now I'm listening through the Violectric V281, which is not inherently bright--though it is almost absurdly dynamic, and those shocking transients can sometimes be mistaken for brightness (they're not--in fact, the notes roll in with a wallop from top to bottom of the frequency range). The V281 is a bass monster, and the X2s are right there, keeping up. My DAC is the non-oversampling R2 R design from Audio GD, the NOS 19. It's the least "digital" DAC I've ever heard: zero glare or tonal thin-ness; instead, a full, organic, relaxed sound with excellent, slightly "wet" sounding bass (ie, not dry, cut-outs of instruments, but full-bodied & impactful).

The X2s sound AMAZING through this equipment. They also sound pretty amazing through all my other HP amps, also quite good through my favorite el cheapo delta-sigma DAC, the Peachtree Audio DAC iTx (transients are sharper than w/the NOS 19, for sure...but the X2s still don't really sound sibilant/bright).

Anyway, I'm hearing what I always hear from the X2s...rich, expansive soundstaging, the kind sealed designs never quite get; a relaxing, friendly sound with lots of bass, mid-bass, and lower midrange energy--and little or no glare, brightness, sibilance, etc. I'm not sure if the X2s are V-shaped, U-shaped, or just a little tipped up in the bass and slightly down in the mids. I've surely heard headphones sound "bright" (just not these).

I've heard other headphones that do "technicalities" better than the X2s--but so what? For $200 they're not only a screaming bargain, but they suit my sonic preferences as well as any component I've heard in ~40 years of audiophile wandering.[/QUOTE]

I've heard other headphones that do "technicalities" better than the X2s--but so what? For $200 they're not only a screaming bargain, but they suit my sonic preferences as well as any component I've heard in ~40 years of audiophile wandering.

FWIW the way you describe them are identical to the way I feel about them. Maybe we just got equally old ears :wink:

Like you I also have great systems to connect it too and soundstage for example is much better through the Burson V2+ than it was through my old FiiO E12 (which had a very narrow presentation, even the Cayin C5 was much better in that area), to my ears the soundstage is on par with that one my Q701's but feels more natural. Like you said: no one is wrong and we do all hear things different but amplifier, source, pairing and music/recordings does also play a part in the whole picture.

Edit: don't know what happened with that quote, this new site........ sigh.......[/QUOTE]i kinda agree

When i use my wa2 amp the x2's are bloated on the bottom end which is typical for lower impedance headphones with the amp. However with a touch if eq'ing they come up really well where there is no issue.
With lesser gear - and non warm amps - i find the highs can be a bit aggressive and the aound not quite as well balanced overall. I would think the hd650 woukd not have this problem. And i would think the x2 like a touch or warmth such as the v281 and even the c5 (i would think) to some extent as that has a little bit warmth running through it (great value amp)

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #12,333 of 15,268
Does anyone have an experience with Lyr 2? I currently use the Uber stack and it adds sibilance to virtually everything I listen to. I'm considering Lyr 2 for HD700 and HE400i, so I'm hoping X2 will pair nicely with it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #12,334 of 15,268

I've heard other headphones that do "technicalities" better than the X2s--but so what? For $200 they're not only a screaming bargain, but they suit my sonic preferences as well as any component I've heard in ~40 years of audiophile wandering.

Edit: don't know what happened with that quote, this new site........ sigh.......[/QUOTE]i kinda agree

When i use my wa2 amp the x2's are bloated on the bottom end which is typical for lower impedance headphones with the amp. However with a touch if eq'ing they come up really well where there is no issue.
With lesser gear - and non warm amps - i find the highs can be a bit aggressive and the aound not quite as well balanced overall. I would think the hd650 woukd not have this problem. And i would think the x2 like a touch or warmth such as the v281 and even the c5 (i would think) to some extent as that has a little bit warmth running through it (great value amp)[/QUOTE]

Actually I feel the oppsoite, the best budget amp/dac's I've heard with the X2 are probably the O2/Odac and the Ibasso D14 while my favorite DAP's with them are the Aune M1s and Opus #1. Moving up the ladder both the Nuforce HA-200 and the Burson Conductor V2+ sounds great wit them. All of these are closer to what I'd describe as neutral than warm. I do also remember when trying to have my LD I+ sound as good as possible paired with the X2's I got the best result with tubes like Voskhod's and Siemen's paired with op amps from Burson, once again not stuff that I'd call warm. It does definately depend on what you prefer though but I've always liked the X2 the most with neutral sounding stuff (same goes for me with the HD650).

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #12,335 of 15,268
Would be very interesting to know how old you are. I am 27 and I had like 3 X2's over the last 3 years. All of them had some form of sibilance (the first to the least degree).
Maybe it also comes down to song preference - I noticed that english lyrics to a great extend doesn't suffer from sibilance as for example german songs. German is a very sibilant language - maybe that amplifies my impression.
I leaning more towards electronic music, but also enjoy acoustics and live sessions of various artist.
I will post a list of what I heard when I get home. But if I remember correctly it was present in this song for example:

I love my X1 and wanted the same sound at work. Unfortunatly I rate the X2 a bit below. Bass and Soundstage are slightly improved but the treble sometimes peaks so hard, that I don't enjoy them as much. On the other hand I got a new pair without any glue for 149€ (incl. taxes) + 10€ amazon coupon. Considering the build quality and the overall sound characteristic (except the peaking highs), I dont think you can something similar at that price point. Even the HD6XX cost about 215 € (incl. shipping, taxes etc.).

Hifimans also suffer from Sibilance.
AKG 712 Pro sounds almost "boring" if you compare it to the X2's.

The X2's with the treble of the HD650s would be a dream.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #12,336 of 15,268
Would be very interesting to know how old you are. I am 27 and I had like 3 X2's over the last 3 years. All of them had some form of sibilance (the first to the least degree).
Maybe it also comes down to song preference - I noticed that english lyrics to a great extend doesn't suffer from sibilance as for example german songs. German is a very sibilant language - maybe that amplifies my impression.
I leaning more towards electronic music, but also enjoy acoustics and live sessions of various artist.
I will post a list of what I heard when I get home. But if I remember correctly it was present in this song for example:

I love my X1 and wanted the same sound at work. Unfortunatly I rate the X2 a bit below. Bass and Soundstage are slightly improved but the treble sometimes peaks so hard, that I don't enjoy them as much. On the other hand I got a new pair without any glue for 149€ (incl. taxes) + 10€ amazon coupon. Considering the build quality and the overall sound characteristic (except the peaking highs), I dont think you can something similar at that price point. Even the HD6XX cost about 215 € (incl. shipping, taxes etc.).

I'm 44.

I really don't find the Hifiman I've heard sibilant either (own HE400i and HE560 and have extensively auditioned the HE-6, which is also the best headphones I've ever heard). I do hear it on my Grado and several of my IEM's though. I find the treble roll off on the HD650 to be one of its biggest weaknesses so I think it's more about preference than age really. Even when I hear sibilance it doesn't bother me as much as exaggerated mid bass so once again personal preference......

It's also my experience that different people are more or less sensitive to different frequencies.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #12,337 of 15,268
[

This was not asked to me but just fo fun....

I AM 29, i hear some slight sibilance on "s's" but it is not bothersome at all. Specially on médium to los levels of listening. Sometimes i just wish my x2s were a bit more Textures on the highs and mids like the hd25 and hd600 because that kind of texture allied to their overall sound would make the x2 awesome for my tastes.

Oh by the way, on the other hand there is something on the hd600 that ruins my audition and creates a buzzing noise on my ears after a coupke of minutes. I may be sensitive to something on the hd600 since i never felt this and i tested more than 30 headphones on the last 5 years. Even beyers.....

The only think i guess i can not stand is think treble and overall thin sound like on the akg k550, 250ohm dt770 and etc.....

I'm 44.

I really don't find the Hifiman I've heard sibilant either (own HE400i and HE560 and have extensively auditioned the HE-6, which is also the best headphones I've ever heard). I do hear it on my Grado and several of my IEM's though. I find the treble roll off on the HD650 to be one of its biggest weaknesses so I think it's more about preference than age really. Even when I hear sibilance it doesn't bother me as much as exaggerated mid bass so once again personal preference......

It's also my experience that different people are more or less sensitive to different frequencies.

The rolloff is that big on the hd650? But the highs still havê the resolution and texture of the hd600s?

By the way, as i saída nothing seems wrong with my x2s in termos of sound (they maybe a tad colores for my tastes but it is beareable and as i sair more Textures highs and mids would not hurt but that is just the way they are, not a flaw...).

Regarding build quality, my pair seems fine. It pretty stable and well built.

The only flaws i can find is this bellow. The metal around the cups are not perfectly aligned and thetefore (mostly on the right side) it sticks out a tiny bit, specially on the bottom were is also missing a bit of paint.

2lx7cj6.jpg

aa2jo.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #12,338 of 15,268
@Pedro Oliveira To people who enjoys sparkling highs with great extension (I do) the HD650s are definitely rolled off.

That being said there's a lot of people who's sensitive to treble and many do like the treble on the HD650 (and other headphones with rolled off treble with little sparkler like the Nighthawk) a lot.

Once again: personal preference :wink:

I'm lucky enough to enjoy a lot of different sound signatures but it seems as many people does only enjoy headphones with a similar overall signature so as always YMMV.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #12,341 of 15,268
Can't believe I'm doing this...inspired by these posts & the pictures from @Pedro Oliveira, I'm sitting here with a magnifying glass, looking for any flaws in my X2s. Here's what I see:
  • No paint/metal covering irregularities at all. Whatever this black surface is (probably not conventional paint...probably a vapor-deposited or sprayed substance), it's perfect.
  • There is a really tiny, almost imperceptible joint/gap at the base of my right earcup. I can't actually measure it, but it appears to be less than 1mm wide. As manufacturing tolerances go, this is pretty tight.
If there's anything wrong w/these headphones, cosmetically or functionally, I'm really not seeing it.

BTW, I ordered a pair of the new Brainwavz round pleather pads (same depth/construction as HM5s, but round instead of oval)--in dark red/maroon color (yes, outrageous!). Anyway, the pads should arrive by the weekend. Then I'll try putting them on, as another poster here suggested, including cutting out a hole through which the cable jack gets inserted in the bottom of left earcup. Not looking forward to cutting that piece out...I know it will probably disfigure that earpad for re-use on any other HP.

But I'm really curious how the sound will be changed by these slightly deeper pleather pads. Pad-rolling is often discussed in various threads here (and I've done plenty of it w/a couple of my cheaper Chinese HPs), so I know theoretically, at least, replacing velour earpads w/same-size pleathers should result in a bit less treble and a bit more (or tighter) bass. And since the Brainwavz pads are also ~3/8ths inch deeper than the stock velour pads, I would expect in addition a slight enhancement of soundstaging--and perhaps some improvement in bass.

Considering that I love the sound of the X2s to begin with (had great difficulty tearing them off my skull last night!), this experiment is either typical audio lunacy--or a "rational attempt to investigate the sonic effects of changing earpads" (ie, Dr. Frankenstein experiments on his Fidelio X2s).

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #12,342 of 15,268
Can't believe I'm doing this...inspired by these posts & the pictures from @Pedro Oliveira, I'm sitting here with a magnifying glass, looking for any flaws in my X2s. Here's what I see:
  • No paint/metal covering irregularities at all. Whatever this black surface is (probably not conventional paint...probably a vapor-deposited or sprayed substance), it's perfect.
  • There is a really tiny, almost imperceptible joint/gap at the base of my right earcup. I can't actually measure it, but it appears to be less than 1mm wide. As manufacturing tolerances go, this is pretty tight.
If there's anything wrong w/these headphones, cosmetically or functionally, I'm really not seeing it.

BTW, I ordered a pair of the new Brainwavz round pleather pads (same depth/construction as HM5s, but round instead of oval)--in dark red/maroon color (yes, outrageous!). Anyway, the pads should arrive by the weekend. Then I'll try putting them on, as another poster here suggested, including cutting out a hole through which the cable jack gets inserted in the bottom of left earcup. Not looking forward to cutting that piece out...I know it will probably disfigure that earpad for re-use on any other HP.

But I'm really curious how the sound will be changed by these slightly deeper pleather pads. Pad-rolling is often discussed in various threads here (and I've done plenty of it w/a couple of my cheaper Chinese HPs), so I know theoretically, at least, replacing velour earpads w/same-size pleathers should result in a bit less treble and a bit more (or tighter) bass. And since the Brainwavz pads are also ~3/8ths inch deeper than the stock velour pads, I would expect in addition a slight enhancement of soundstaging--and perhaps some improvement in bass.

Considering that I love the sound of the X2s to begin with (had great difficulty tearing them off my skull last night!), this experiment is either typical audio lunacy--or a "rational attempt to investigate the sonic effects of changing earpads" (ie, Dr. Frankenstein experiments on his Fidelio X2s).

There was no need for such comittment... :D

Oh.... When i say it sticks out i AM also talkig about something thats very little. 1/2 a milimitre tops.... What males it more noticeable is that this ring is not painted on the sides so the metal gray shows itself a bit when surrounded by all the blackness.... :D

I was was not looking for flaws sorry, what i meant to say is that this the only parte of my x2s that is not só perfect while everything else is simply stellar.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #12,343 of 15,268
Just got my X2's today, fantastic build on them and they sound, on initial testing, very good.

I have a question for you good folks, my DAP at the moment is my LG V20 smartphone, which sounds quite nice but the max volume isn't quite doing it for me, so should I just get a portable AMP like the FiiO A5, or should I get say the Cowon Plenue D and consider getting an AMP later on (I can't find the output levels of the Cowon though)?

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #12,345 of 15,268
Considering selling my pair of Woox X2s for 200 euro (or highest bid) + shipping from Sweden.
Used to be glued, perfect condition other than faded paint on the rim.
Any interest?
Not wanting to disancourage you but..... The x2 are being sold for 160 euros new on a couple of european amazons....

Being a woox version may havê sone value to some but the newer Gibson pairs seem to have no problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back