Over ear closed back alternative to Sennheiser HD 25?
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

monekh

New Head-Fier
Hello

I am a long time HD 25 user - I love their sound, I have tried other headphones and always come back to them.
However, I find them too uncomfortable for long periods of listening.
Could anyone recommend a closed back alternative as close as possible to the HD 25 in sound but with an over ear design?

I figured Sennheiser would be most likely to produce a similar sounding over ear, so have been looking at HD 380, HD 569 and HD 598... if you have an advice regarding those models or others, please let me know!

thanks

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 13
Since you mentioned the HD598--which is open--I am going to assume you are open to an open headphone. In that case, and since comfort is a primary issue, I would definitely recommend the HD598. It is one of the most comfortable headphones currently on the market. I can wear mine for hours with no discomfort. Sounds terrific with a broad variety of music. Big soundstage. Gorgeous mids. You should check it out. The HD380 is also quite comfortable. The bass is superior to the HD 25. Mids are similar, IMHO. Bigger soundstage, also, IMO. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Sorry - I meant the HD 598 Cs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser...396517&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+closed+back) - though reading some of the reviews it seems they are nothing like the regular 598s, 'muddy' comes up a lot, so perhaps I will strike them off the list.

I would be interested to try open backs sometime but I need something I can use when travelling / in noisy environments so think I better stick to closed for now...

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 13
The HD598 is a completely different sound than the HD25. I'm a long-time HD25 owner and you'll be hard-pressed to find a total replacement. Their sound is unique - tonally balanced, combining a high SPL. How large are your ears? What kind of music do you listen to? amp?

But close as possible, a balanced sound would be a vintage Sennheiser HD250 Linear. They are a bit hard to track down in great condition, and they would be around $150USD. With the right pads they are quite comfortable. The sound is similar to the HD25 in that the highs are present while never being too sharp, the bass is balanced and hits even lower, the mids are quite flat but a bit more recessed on the HD250. The HD250 is much more spacious sounding and this is due to the Diffuse-Field signature, which to my ears, is very natural, creating the sound of a room space.

Honestly, these headphones were designed in the same era. Wouldn't be surprised if the naming of the HD250 and HD25 bear some significance. The HD25 were more designed for in the field use, with the HD250 more at home in the studio or part of a high-end headphone setup. They perform better than many modern headphones in terms of natural balance. I feel the idea of what sound is supposed to sound-like has been changed over years of compressed radio streaming, and pop-productions. :/

You won't find many reviews on these headphones but here is one comparing it to an HD25.
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/head...iser/hd-250-linear-ii/prd_126380_2750crx.aspx

In terms of balance I put them above an HD650, LCD2, Denon AH-D2000, and HD700. Technically, they are very good, but a headphone like the AH-D2000 seems a bit clearer, with more bass depth and articulation. The AH-D2000 is a good suggestion but different signature than HD25 (but worth looking into if you listen to a lot of electronic).

Let me know if you have any questions.

May 5, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 13
while it was a while back that I owned them, I didn't feel the HD280 was that great sonically, and from a comfort standpoint. Other recommendations, check out K550, DT770, DT1770 and Denon AH-D2000. SRH1540 is comfy as well.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 13
Hello,
I own hd25, they sound good but are bit less comfortable... compare to bose qc3 / shennheiser hd800. Is there any way to upgrade their comfort using some specif foams? They are bit tight / producing some press on head/ears. Also is there a way of some wireless hack for these headphones? thanks!

looks like someone already tried that: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blu...earch-for-decent-bluetooth-headphones.568795/

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 13
I have the Yaxi comfort pads and the sound unfortunately is worst . Bloates bass on mids slow bass mids and highs also lost.
I tried a lot of pads. U will not like that... Original pads are the best on sound quality.

I got the Yaxi pads and they improved the bass and isolation. I did do the "Custom Cans Uber Mod" to the HD25. It decreases cup resonance and increases driver mass.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 13
I got the Yaxi pads and they improved the bass and isolation. I did do the "Custom Cans Uber Mod" to the HD25. It decreases cup resonance and increases driver mass.
I am happy for you , but i have to disagree bass didnt improved with Yaxi pads , it just get slower muddied and more all over the mids also i am 99% sure that mids and highs lost the sparkle with foam or not. Isolation again its not better ...
All these are really strange my Yaxi are 100% original because i bought from Yaxi Japan , are your pads Yaxi for sure ?

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 13
I am happy for you , but i have to disagree bass didnt improved with Yaxi pads , it just get slower muddied and more all over the mids also i am 99% sure that mids and highs lost the sparkle with foam or not. Isolation again its not better ...
All these are really strange my Yaxi are 100% original because i bought from Yaxi Japan , are your pads Yaxi for sure ?

Yeah, they're the Type B memory foam ones. Very noticeably increased isolation and bass level.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Yeah, they're the Type B memory foam ones. Very noticeably increased isolation and bass level.
Oh wait my Yaxi are not the Type B , they are the more expensive Leather + ALcantara Yaxi Comfort . And honestly they sound bad i was really trying to use them so many times because they are so soft but the bass is so slow so muddied , mids and voices gone very far away and highs get lost also with clarity . To bad because they was expensive 52 euros in Europe . Anyways i sold them 30 euros because i didnt want to send them back to Yaxi its not their fault and i thought it woul be anythical .
Anyways i guess listening what u said i was wrong i had to buy the Type B all leather pads for noth chaning the sound so much .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back