OUT NOW: Shanling UP - A Hi-Res, MFI-Certified, USB-C, MINI-DAC/AMP with ES9018K2M + MAX97220A
Feb 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #181 of 221
Hey, hey. Nice review ngoshawk. A big thumbs UP, lol :thumbsup:

And yes, I just had to :wink:

Lol, what's UP, Nik?...:joy:

The UP is a really nice DAC/Amp. I really like the synergy provided with the 6+.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #182 of 221
Nice review! I might just get the shanling up on massdrop for $120... Cus the dragonflies cost like 80 to ship from amazon or ebay.... Especially when i'll be using the flc8s with it.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #183 of 221
  Review is "UP" @Septimus, this is for you.
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-up-portable-dac-headphone-amplifier-amp-es9018k2m-max97-support-native-dsd-decoding/reviews/18078

Thanks for the review.
I think I will skip it as I was considering picking it up on Massdrop but your review kind of tells me that it won't be worth it to "upgrade" for its price.

I'll stick with my K1 and now the Schiit Fulla 2 that I have in the mail.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #184 of 221
Thanks for the review.

I think I will skip it as I was considering picking it up on Massdrop but your review kind of tells me that it won't be worth it to "upgrade" for its price.

I'll stick with my K1 and now the Schiit Fulla 2 that I have in the mail.

Hey, no problem. It is a good product, but not for everyone. I really did enjoy the sound from it. Good luck with your gear!

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #185 of 221
So I have this unit on loan.   A few quick questions.

First, I have started testing it on a Windows 10 notebook.  I downloaded the USB driver from the Shanling site, but the driver for this unit gave me an error when I went to install it.

However, it looks like this is actually the same driver Shanling provides for the M1 and M2.  Can anybody confirm?

Second, using the proper twiddles with JRiver, I was able to get the SACD ISO playback to work as actual DSD files.  Interestingly, I was never able to get the M2 to natively decode DSD using the same settings in JRiver with the same driver.

Is the M2 not capable of natively decoding SACD / DSD files in DAC mode?  Or is this some kind of issue with M2 firmware?

Third, as an iPhone DAC, it seems to fire up just fine.   It could play play whatever the iPhone plays not problem.    But the HiBy app is failry non-intuitive.  I wonder what other apps people like for this kind of usage?   I have a number of apps that can play FLACs or DSD files from the iphone, but I really do not love any of them.  In particular, I have never been able to figure out a way to create folders in these apps and order songs within these folders the way I like.  Any thoughts or comments there?    Unlike my DAP players, I do create "Playlists" on the iphone but that is only because you kind of have to do that on the iphone.  However, anything that does not fit into the itunes world like FLAC is a whole different animal.  So some thoughts there would be great.

Thanks all.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #188 of 221
Do any of those IOS apps have a mechanism to create files folders and sort files into some kind of preferred playing order?

No doubt I can play music through any number of apps.  But none that I have found allow any kind of useful file manipulation within IOS.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #190 of 221
Just got this and it sounds very good. Very musical and fun and it complements my other DAC/Amp, the xDuoo XD-05, very well because the XD-05 has a bass roll off, while the Shanling Up has a full punchy bass which extends very deep.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #191 of 221
So I have started fiddling with this unit a bit more.   I decided to try out DSD files on the PC.

With JRiver I can output DSD as bitstream.  The software lights up to show it is outputting DSD, and I do get sound from the UP.

What I have discovered is that, at least with JRiver,  volume controls are disabled when playing DSD bitstream files.   Now on a player like the FIIO X3 II that is not an issue.  Because that unit has a volume control.   But the UP does not.  So that renders the DSD capability less useful than expected.

Any ideas?  It almost seems like the unit requires amplification for DSD, which defeats the purpose of having one small device.

By the way, anybody figure out how to bitstream DSD to the Shanling M2?  I never have been able to get that to work.  Same driver for Windows for the UP and the M2 by the way.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #192 of 221
Just got this and it sounds very good. Very musical and fun and it complements my other DAC/Amp, the xDuoo XD-05, very well because the XD-05 has a bass roll off, while the Shanling Up has a full punchy bass which extends very deep.

Yes, UP has nice, punchy bass. Good for people who enjoy a full, rich sound :ok_hand:

So I have started fiddling with this unit a bit more.   I decided to try out DSD files on the PC.

With JRiver I can output DSD as bitstream.  The software lights up to show it is outputting DSD, and I do get sound from the UP.

What I have discovered is that, at least with JRiver,  volume controls are disabled when playing DSD bitstream files.   Now on a player like the FIIO X3 II that is not an issue.  Because that unit has a volume control.   But the UP does not.  So that renders the DSD capability less useful than expected.

Any ideas?  It almost seems like the unit requires amplification for DSD, which defeats the purpose of having one small device.

By the way, anybody figure out how to bitstream DSD to the Shanling M2?  I never have been able to get that to work.  Same driver for Windows for the UP and the M2 by the way.

Say wha? Like you have absolutely no volume control at all? If so, that's really weird. I don't do DSD, so I haven't tested it. I use Vox music player on my MacBook Pro and haven't run into any issues besides the one already mentioned where if I pause music, the volume drops until I toggle the volume button. I am running BETA Mac OS, though. So it could just be a bug...

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #193 of 221
Nik,

Actually I think the lack of volume with DSD (at least on a  PC) is not a bug but a "design feature".  DSD files are most likely much harder to modify in software on the fly for volume adjustments than PCM files.  But perhaps some others can step in and give their experience. 

DSD is a funny animal, that is for darn sure.  As I understand it, the DSD waveform almost "looks" like an analog signal when fed through the proper spectrum analyzers even without going through a D/A conversion process.

UPDATE:  As noted in my review, I moved from WASAPI to ASIO drivers and was able to get DSD volume working in both FOOBAR and JRiver on Windows 10.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #194 of 221
  Nik,

Actually I think the lack of volume with DSD (at least on a  PC) is not a bug but a "design feature".  DSD files are most likely much harder to modify in software on the fly for volume adjustments than PCM files.  But perhaps some others can step in and give their experience. 

DSD is a funny animal, that is for darn sure.  As I understand it, the DSD waveform almost "looks" like an analog signal when fed through the proper spectrum analyzers even without going through a D/A conversion process.

yes because its just the sampled output of a 1-bit DAC.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #195 of 221
How does this sound compared to the Dragonfly Red and/or Black?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back