[Oscilloscope CRT TV] I can "see" music.
Sep 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TestSubject

100+ Head-Fier
Found this old Black and white CRT TV that was used for security cameras.

Left and Right channel connected to the X and Y deflection coil. Nothing fancy.

Blurry pictures because of the difference in contrast. Sorry.

Video in HD so you can see the blurriness better:

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Awesome stuff Pierre!

I wonder what skrillex looks like on there 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 10
very cool project.

so, do you have the R and L from the source into the TV, is that an auxiliary like? where do the headphones/speakers fit in this?

I guess an amp with 2 or more outputs would do, 1 output 3.5 mm or 6,5 mm can cable to the TV, and the real audio in the other output, right?

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 10
The Speaker are just in parallel and only 1 channel was output for the sake of simplicity since it was an experiment.

"did you try connecting a VGA cable to headphones to hear color?"

Well you cannot really connect into the VGA cable directly since all bunch of stuff is happening between the port and the deflection coils around the electron accelerator.

i was lucky to have a display with such easy acces to the coils. The pictures are blurry but it was a simple pin header i had to disconnect and reroute.

I wonder what would happen on a colour CTR. After a little research i think it wouldnt display something very colourful. We would need to interfere with the TV's colour control circuit to have the 3 phosphors (showed under the 2 in the picture) output different mix of beam.

My explanation probably confused you more then it helped. --->Wiki<---

Thanks wiki:

Later i will be trying to convert it into a "real" oscilloscope and have the X axis into a flat line. My guess is alternative current to reproduce this, ill look into it.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 10
you can convert it into a vertical oscilloscope easily by just using the cables for the x deflection coil.  They're more responsive to a lower current/audio signal, making them a better option for an oscilloscope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back