Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Dec 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #646 of 796
Audyn True Copper and FT-3

The True Copper and FT-3 are both caps which have ended up in my pre-amp. FT-3 on the inputs and True Copper on the outputs. While I had been working with NOS caps quite a bit I had not had a chance to compare these to high-end modern caps. Luckily then I came across four 2nd hand True Copper caps con eBay and snapped them up. So what are these caps like compared to NOS caps I had been working with?

Well my impressions of the True Copper caps are very positive! As mentioned they have a nice full bodied sound while still being detailed and open. Also on a positive note the bass of this cap is very nice in quality and quantity. This combination of characteristics makes this cap sound very coherent and confident. Further, it is also rather snappy which makes them very musical.

The FT-3 as we all know is one of the best NOS caps you can buy. At 6 USD for a 0.47uf cap it is a lot more expensive than most NOS caps yet still very cheap compared to the True Copper. I did find that it deserves it’s reputation. The strong points of this caps are it’s dynamics, its wide soundstage, frequency extension at both ends of the spectrum, detail, and smoothness. While this is a very good cap one may interpret it as lacking some personality as it does not colour or alter the sound in any way.

Overall, when compared to many of the NOS caps I think it is very noticeable that the True Copper is really designed for audio. By that I mean that it sounds very good by itself while one would have to put more effort into mixing and matching when it comes to NOS caps to get the sound just right. In the end however, I only ended up using two of the four True Copper caps I bought in my pre-amp. I found that using them in combination with the FT-3 increased frequency extension while also tightening up the bass, improving dynamics the sound stage and detail. 

For me the conclusion is that the best NOS caps do compete with high end modern caps. Ultimately though the best results are obtained by using the right combination of components.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #647 of 796
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a pair of capacitors for my Focal Utopia Beryllium tweeters, what is out there for me? These tweeters are detailed and sound bright and lively, this is how I like my music. I read a bit about Obbligato but reviewers said they are less airy and lack detail, I found them at 23euro per cap price but now I have given up on them. 

I never thought a piece of capacitor used in series to a tweeter could really change the sound until recently on a forum, therefore I am willing to finally spend some money on a pair. Currently I am using a 5 cent capacitor of 22uF 25V, what should I get in this rating.

I really appreciate your support and it's a great thread for going crazy after capacitors. I am also trying to get rid of my tube buying addiction as well in this way.

Thanks!

Edit: Someone suggested me DueLund capacitors but they are huge, I cannot fit them in my small tweeter enclosure. Check out the link, the thing is beautiful.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #648 of 796
  Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a pair of capacitors for my Focal Utopia Beryllium tweeters, what is out there for me? These tweeters are detailed and sound bright and lively, this is how I like my music. I read a bit about Obbligato but reviewers said they are less airy and lack detail, I found them at 23euro per cap price but now I have given up on them. 

I never thought a piece of capacitor used in series to a tweeter could really change the sound until recently on a forum, therefore I am willing to finally spend some money on a pair. Currently I am using a 5 cent capacitor of 22uF 25V, what should I get in this rating.

I really appreciate your support and it's a great thread for going crazy after capacitors. I am also trying to get rid of my tube buying addiction as well in this way.

Thanks!

Edit: Someone suggested me DueLund capacitors but they are huge, I cannot fit them in my small tweeter enclosure. Check out the link, the thing is beautiful.

Some people happy with Duelund and Mundorf for speaker

Check this, 
http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

Check also Jeff' s page, he is Duelund fans for speaker
http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=6254

I never rolling caps for my Spendor , but tried some caps for my 300B tube amp (Jensen, Mundorf and now installed Duelund Cast Cu-copper)

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #649 of 796
Having read this thread I decided to bite the bullet and replace coupling caps in my tube amp for a set of Jupiter Copper Foil caps. I'm about 60hrs in and so far the results are mixed. The sound is definitely more organic, and I hear more hidden details. At the same the bass seems to be softer, the tonal balance is warmer and the sound got colored (sort of like a golden hue to the sound). So far, a mixed blessing. I sure hope things improve during burn in.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #650 of 796
Replacing the LCR 'lytic 100uf+100uf 500vdu ps capacitor with a pair of either the Mundorf M-TubeCap 100uf 550vdu polypropylene film ps cap or the ClarityCap TC series 110uf 450vdu polypropylene film cap in my Moth Audio s45. Any preference either way? TIA.  

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #651 of 796
  Audyn True Copper and FT-3

Well my impressions of the True Copper caps are very positive! As mentioned they have a nice full bodied sound while still being detailed and open. Also on a positive note the bass of this cap is very nice in quality and quantity. This combination of characteristics makes this cap sound very coherent and confident. Further, it is also rather snappy which makes them very musical.

The FT-3 as we all know is one of the best NOS caps you can buy. At 6 USD for a 0.47uf cap it is a lot more expensive than most NOS caps yet still very cheap compared to the True Copper. I did find that it deserves it’s reputation. The strong points of this caps are it’s dynamics, its wide soundstage, frequency extension at both ends of the spectrum, detail, and smoothness.

Having read this thread I decided to bite the bullet and replace coupling caps in my tube amp for a set of Jupiter Copper Foil caps. I'm about 60hrs in and so far the results are mixed. The sound is definitely more organic, and I hear more hidden details. At the same the bass seems to be softer, the tonal balance is warmer and the sound got colored (sort of like a golden hue to the sound). So far, a mixed blessing. I sure hope things improve during burn in.

These caps take a long time to burn in, so I would keep using and listening.  
However, both of you guys should try bypassing your respective copper caps with FT-2 or FT-3 teflon caps around 1/10 or 1/20th uF value and see if you like the results (after burn-in).  

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #652 of 796

These caps take a long time to burn in, so I would keep using and listening.  
However, both of you guys should try bypassing your respective copper caps with FT-2 or FT-3 teflon caps around 1/10 or 1/20th uF value and see if you like the results (after burn-in).  

Bypassing the copper caps with an FT-2 or FT-3 is an interesting suggestion. I have actually ended up bypassing my 0.47uf Audyn True Copper caps with some (very small 1000pf if I remember correctly) LCR polystyrene capacitors. This opens up the high end and introduces a little more detail.

I have not played with my system lately due to moving once again but I may have to place an order for some smaller FT caps to experiment with :)

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #653 of 796
I recently finished up building a Bottlehead Eros Phono kit and could not resist the opportunity to make use of some good old Russian Teflon
smile.gif

All the MKP RIAA capacitors were replaced with  FT-1 Teflons buying 10 of them measuring each and picking the best measuring of the bunch to use  (they measured better than the MKP's they replaced)

The MKP output caps were replaced with FT-3 Teflons

I also fitted four 47uf Valab capacitors (Taiwanese MKP in oils) which had been taking up space in the parts box for a while paralleling a pair up each side in place of the 100uf electrolytic used for the cathode bypass.

I've reached about 150hr of burning in so far (feeding it tunes from a ipod) I came home today from work put on a  LP and noticed the change immediately the Teflons were starting to open up and sing its starting to sound very nice indeed.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #654 of 796
After reading the tread, and many thanks for all the marvellous inputs!!!, i have become interested in the MbM caps. Thus the question. Does anyone know where to buy 0.25uF MbM with a voltage of 500V ore more?
I'd really like to try them in my Leak Stereo 20!
And also to try them in my, soon to be rebuild, Dynaco Stereo 70, that i plan to mod with the VTA board...

Best regards
Tonni

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #655 of 796
  After reading the tread, and many thanks for all the marvellous inputs!!!, i have become interested in the MbM caps. Thus the question. Does anyone know where to buy 0.25uF MbM with a voltage of 500V ore more?
I'd really like to try them in my Leak Stereo 20!
And also to try them in my, soon to be rebuild, Dynaco Stereo 70, that i plan to mod with the VTA board...

Best regards
Tonni

Well. Was lucku that another e*ay auction came up with some 0.25uF 750V MbM's. Now just awaiting the snailmail...
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #656 of 796
Hello! I'm about 35-40 hours in with the Clarity Cap CMR in the crossovers of my Tekton Lore. I'll be posting more lengthy impressions soon. These caps - replacing the stock Dayton Audio caps - have brought what I'd hoped for to my humble system.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #657 of 796

After a 100 hrs or so the sound stabilized, and now am massively happy with the cap swap. The sound is much more extended, especially in th treble, yet has this beguiling musicality. The Jupiter caps offer a very good price/performance imho.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #658 of 796

Well. Was lucku that another e*ay auction came up with some 0.25uF 750V MbM's. Now just awaiting the snailmail...
tongue_smile.gif

After playing around with the MbM's, for a couple of hundred hours, i just lost patience. Don't blow your money on that s*it!
They were a great step down from my old SCR's. And the Mundorfs that followed, was a revelation!

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #659 of 796
I tried the MBM as coupling caps and they did'nt last long either.  They have a sparkly sound which caught my interest initially, but they are somewhat flawed.

Jupiters are my favorite caps of any brand, they just sound the most natural to me. The older square HT flat stack especially.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #660 of 796
Hello.
Please tell me, how does the sound of REL-CAP TFT and audio Multicap RTX? Will make an important clarification: Multicap RTX 0.1uF*200V sounds brighter than Multicap RTX  0.1uf*400V. Multicap RTX  0.1uf*400V sound brighter than Multicap RTX 0.1uf*600V. I've tested it. It's good to hear. If you change the operating voltages RTX sound script is saved, but the tonal balance is changing. I am sure that this rule holds true for other types of capacitors. Can anybody help me in identifying the REL-CAP TFT? I need to install the REL- CAP TFT 0.1uf*?00V instead of the Multicap RTX 0.1uf *600V. At what voltage you need to take the REL-CAP TFT 0.1uf, that it fits into the tonal balance of the Multicap RTX 0.1uf*600V? I have a question only the balance of tonal (approximate). I understand that the script will differ (RTX has too bright and not delicate, not graceful high frequencies), but I want to keep the overall tonal balance sound system. I don't want to make the sound brighter or darker.
I would be very grateful for the important information for me!
I understand that it is more correct to buy REL-CAP TFT into different voltage and compare myself, but the price won't let me buy 100V, 200V, 400V, 600V just to compare.
Thanks in advance!
With best regards, Sergey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back