Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Jul 3, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #421 of 520
Jul 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #422 of 520
Hmmm...that's very interesting. I wonder if with those with both an HA-1 and the Sonica could somehow use their HA-1 remotes to work with the Sonic and put black tape over the HA-1's face remote sensor to block remote signals from activating. Just a thought.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #423 of 520
Hmmm...that's very interesting. I wonder if with those with both an HA-1 and the Sonica could somehow use their HA-1 remotes to work with the Sonic and put black tape over the HA-1's face remote sensor to block remote signals from activating. Just a thought.

The SDAC does not have an IR sensor as far as I can see.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #425 of 520
Got my SDAC last Friday. I am very happy with it. I haven't listened much through headphones because I was enjoying my system so much. Watt/Puppy Jeff Rowland amp n pre. It's the the most analog sounding DAC I've had in my system. Violins are beautiful and listenable for hours w/o fatigue. I listened via my Macbook pro connected via USB. Connected that way I could use RUNE and TIDAL. I'm new to both services but I'm sold on them. Thinking I needed one I bought a microRendu for streaming. I could hear no difference between wired USB straight to DAC and streaming via Rendu. Using Apple Airplay I thought I heard some difference but that could be expectation bias. I will likely keep the RUNE READY Rendu so I don't have to run a 15 foot USB cable from my couch to the SDAC :)
I am impressed with the detail resolution of this DAC without being harsh. OPPO hit it out of the park IMO.
I have a Darkvoice dual mono tube amp i'll hook up SDAC tomorrow to do some headphone listening.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #426 of 520
Amp recommendations please.

I would like a low-gain, fully balanced, amp only, since I'm getting pre-amp functionality from the Sonica. -- why pay for duplicate capabilities.

Don't need a huge amount of power, and low gain is a must, since I have some sensitive IEMs I'l like to keep using. If I eventually move to something more demanding, I'll replace the amp if needed. But right now no such plans.

Amps I've glanced at (just getting started):

Schiit Jotunheim (best match?? Low output impedance, low gain setting is low enough. Too right?)
Schiit Mjolnir 2 (a little less Schitty top end than Jot? Price)
Violectric 280/281 (can't afford)
Violectric 181 (discontinued, but might find used one at price I can swing)
Matrix M-Stage HPA-3b (too much gain?)
Audio-gd NFB-1
Cayin iHA-6 (output impedance too high? Maybe to bright to pair with Sonica?)

Others I need to investigate:

Little Dot Mk III
Cavalli Liquid Carbon

Feel free to offer opinions on these, and to suggest others.

Thanks in advance.

I now have a Matrix HPA-3B.

Gain is a little high, but not bad. Using lowest gain setting on amp, I set volume knob to about 75% (2 o'clock), and then use the app to control output on the Sonica. Generally output is around 55-60 with IEMs, 70 with Monolith m1060s, and 80 with HE-560s. I'm waiting for a balanced cable to connect the Sonica to my AlgoRhythm Duet, which is generally only used with my X5iii.

Still hoping to score a Violectric 181.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #427 of 520

I would like a low-gain, fully balanced, amp only, since I'm getting pre-amp functionality from the Sonica. -- why pay for duplicate capabilities.

Don't need a huge amount of power, and low gain is a must, since I have some sensitive IEMs I'l like to keep using. If I eventually move to something more demanding, I'll replace the amp if needed. But right now no such plans.

Schiit Jotunheim (best match?? Low output impedance, low gain setting is low enough. Too right?)
Audio-gd NFB-1

Little Dot Mk III
Cavalli Liquid Carbon

Thanks in .

Audio-gd NFB-1

Little Dot Mk III
Cavalli Liquid Carbon

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a Abrahamsen V4.0up power amp to match with the Oppo.
These are made in norway but shipped from sweden(no EU duty) altho in tbe UK you have to buy through Nord
Not surs about the gain.. after reading about this issue with the Oppo it concerns me a bit.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #428 of 520
If anyone is still interested in the Oppo SDAC remote you can purchase it directly from Oppo by calling them.I emailed them yesterday and they sent me this:

You can call us at 650-961-1118 Monday through Friday from 9:00AM to 5:30PM PST to make an order for the Sonica DAC remote.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

I just placed my order!

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #429 of 520
No specific reply here. The oppo sonica sounds much better running flash drives into my i5 through a Paul Pang V2 usb card. I also run the W4S reclocker. Use extremely short diy usb cable runs. I use Audioquest Jitterbugs in front of the usb drive and on the output from same V2 card to the Sonica. It stomps playing drives directly into the oppo's USB ports. I run single pc jplay in hibernate. Hence the flash drives. Only way to do that single pc.
Jplay settings DAC link at 700hz and buffer at 0.2 secs. I use oppo software buffer in the driver with minimum latency.

Amazingly it works perfectly with even my 11.2Mhz DSDs. I run Fidelizer Pro 7.8, latest Process Lasso and Audiophile Optimizer 2.2 Beta. They all make significant improvements. But Audiophile Optimizer makes a bigger difference than the other two combined.. Sound is ridiculous. The higher DAC link and buffer settings really make recordings sing! DAC is off to Ric at EVS tweekshop for his full mod. 1/4 cost of the Modwright. It makes a substantial difference Ric assures me.

Sound is beyond belief right now

Oh yeah windows 10 stripped... dual boot running all software with the most extreme settings. Highly modified Sennie HD 650s with Custom 17 awg neotech upocc litz braid. The oppo floors me. Still need to do more w Lps on computer and go fanless. Windows server 2012 or 2016 one of these days.

Happy Listening,

Jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #430 of 520
Do they make a USB-B version of the Jitterbug?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #431 of 520
Do they make a USB-B version of the Jitterbug?
No unfortunately! You can unsolder the type A by removing part of the case. Easy enough change to a type B board mount. You could use adapter but it losses some transparency. I run my Jitterbugs naked with damping material. They sound a bit better that way.

Happy Listening
jgwtriode

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #434 of 520

Users who are viewing this thread

Back