Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 31, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #5,176 of 6,302
I have added a Wywires Red cable to most of my headphones. Why would I have done that if it did not make a big improvement in sound quality?

May 31, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #5,177 of 6,302
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #5,180 of 6,302
Was just wondering how long term oppo users were coping using glasses with the headphones?

I'll switch out with my IEM if for whatever reason I don't want to use my Oppos. Usually it's because of the heat. These are really comfortable for how small they are, but after wearing them for the better part of a day, my head feels good having them off and unrestricted.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5,181 of 6,302
Was just wondering how long term oppo users were coping using glasses with the headphones?

I've been using the PM3 a lot at the office, I guess it depends on the shape of the temples, the ones on my frames are flat but almost 1mm thick, it starts to get uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. They are comfortable when compared with other headphones of the same type but no match for the L700.

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #5,184 of 6,302

I wear Ray-Bans that flare out to about a centimeter right where the pad hits, and I do lose some bass at first. But, I find that once the pleather warms up a bit, the pads start to settle in much closer and the bass sounds great. Usually takes about 5 minutes or so. After that, I cannot notice a difference between glasses on and glasses off. Well, besides visually.

Oh, and I've had my PM3's for about a year and a half, using them as a daily driver for about four months.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #5,186 of 6,302
Just heard these phones in a listening session today. Blew me away! These are now my favourite headphones. I must own these. I have no experience with high end phones but these set a new standard for me. I went to test out my much researched favourite (I thought), the HE400S. Very disappointed in those, but overwhelmed by the PM3's. Also very impressed with the Grado SR325's. Very different sound but these two cover both ends of the spectrum. Short term plan is Grado's and PM3 by Christmas. AND these (PM3) can be driven by just an iPod Classic. Very impressive.

Now I will get back in line and read all 5,170 messages about my new gold standard.:spy:

Shane D

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #5,187 of 6,302
Just heard these phones in a listening session today. Blew me away! These are now my favourite headphones. I must own these. I have no experience with high end phones but these set a new standard for me. I went to test out my much researched favourite (I thought), the HE400S. Very disappointed in those, but overwhelmed by the PM3's. Also very impressed with the Grado SR325's. Very different sound but these two cover both ends of the spectrum. Short term plan is Grado's and PM3 by Christmas. AND these (PM3) can be driven by just an iPod Classic. Very impressive.

Now I will get back in line and read all 5,170 messages about my new gold standard.:spy:

Shane D
The PM-3 sounds significantly better plugged into a headphone amp. I use the Dragonfly Red and it's improved but even better with my Schiit Vali 2.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #5,188 of 6,302
The PM-3 sounds significantly better plugged into a headphone amp. I use the Dragonfly Red and it's improved but even better with my Schiit Vali 2.

I know that the overwhelming opinion on this site that everything sounds better amped, but they sound great to me as is. The iPod can drive them fine and the Sony DAP gives them more power. To be honest I do not listen very loudly and have never had the urge for more power. I have heard the idea that it gives you a fuller sound, but I have never tried that.

Shane D

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #5,189 of 6,302
I know that the overwhelming opinion on this site that everything sounds better amped, but they sound great to me as is. The iPod can drive them fine and the Sony DAP gives them more power. To be honest I do not listen very loudly and have never had the urge for more power. I have heard the idea that it gives you a fuller sound, but I have never tried that.

Shane D
PM 3 gives IMHO the best sound until you get to the $700 range. I sold them as I moved up the HP ranks. I ended up buying them again as my portable HP. They are amazing with no amp. But just get better with an amp.

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #5,190 of 6,302
They are the best I have heard, so far. Up here in Canada the price is $599.00, plus tax for a total $690.00.

Right now my portables are P5's.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back