Open Ear Headphones $170-~$350 Suggestions
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Smoothbass12

New Head-Fier
So I am looking for some over the ear headphones with great detail and a big soundstage. I have found that I like more bass than I thought I would (boost the bass on my Fiio e17 up to 6 regularly), so ill be looking for some cans with decent bass and powerful presentation. I do however own the ATH-m50s so im not too concerned about bass considering I will have these to go to for that purpose. Once again my main interest is soundstage and detail. If I had to pick three to listen to based on my research, it would be a shootout between the beyer dt990 premium (though completely overlooking the pro version), the HD598's, and the AKG k701's with my bias towards the dt990's or the HD598's. Opinions? And are there closed ear headphones with good soundstage? (dt770?)

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 5
I am not an expert on any of the headphones you mentioned, although I do know you don't want the K701's. I hear they have weak bass, some claim NONE, haha. I would strongly suggest you slightly up your budget to 400, and look at the HE-400's. They are going to arrive tomorrow for me. You will understand why I am suggesting these before even hearing them, just go read about them. They sound very impressive. Been called the "do-it-all" headphone. Known for incredibly precise, clean, yet far-from-weak bass. NOT known for incredibly large soundstage, although still very good. Fully open-back, low power needed, planar-magnetic(look into this) headphones. Just amazing reviews from all users. Read the amazon.com reviews on the HE-400s, I was personally sold instantly after reading just a few. Also there is a quite large HE-400 appreciation thread here on head-fi. 

If you absolutely cannot go up to 400, then I cannot give a good strong suggestion. However, I have done hours and hours of research in this price range, and from what I have gathered the DT990s will punch a little harder in terms of bass, the 598's will have a better sound stage and a "smoother" sound. Sorry that can potentially be inaccurate but like I have said, hours and hours of researching. 

Closest thing I have heard to your suggestions is the DT880, but they are completely different than the 990's. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I am not an expert on any of the headphones you mentioned, although I do know you don't want the K701's. I hear they have weak bass, some claim NONE, haha. I would strongly suggest you slightly up your budget to 400, and look at the HE-400's. They are going to arrive tomorrow for me. You will understand why I am suggesting these before even hearing them, just go read about them. They sound very impressive. Been called the "do-it-all" headphone. Known for incredibly precise, clean, yet far-from-weak bass. NOT known for incredibly large soundstage, although still very good. Fully open-back, low power needed, planar-magnetic(look into this) headphones. Just amazing reviews from all users. Read the amazon.com reviews on the HE-400s, I was personally sold instantly after reading just a few. Also there is a quite large HE-400 appreciation thread here on head-fi. 

If you absolutely cannot go up to 400, then I cannot give a good strong suggestion. However, I have done hours and hours of research in this price range, and from what I have gathered the DT990s will punch a little harder in terms of bass, the 598's will have a better sound stage and a "smoother" sound. Sorry that can potentially be inaccurate but like I have said, hours and hours of researching. 

Closest thing I have heard to your suggestions is the DT880, but they are completely different than the 990's. 

he-400 doesn't even sound that open, hardly airy too.. soundstage is nothing bad but nothing mindblowing either

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 5
I've only heard the HE-500, and the soundstage was very expansive. 

I own the original/vintage DT990 and the soundstage, seperation and detail is really amazing - with a bass boost they are a lot of fun.
Even at around 25 years old they still play with a lot of the big boys. The new model should be still even better.

I also like the HD598 a lot, but it's fairly polite and relaxed generally, and I think the DT990 would respond better to the bass push.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 5
AKG k701's have been eliminated. I looked at the HE-400's but decided that is out of my price range. So in order of best to least of the three I would list DT990 premium's, HD598's, then DT990 pro's. Anybody disagree?
And any comments on the 990 premium's soundstage versus that of the HD598's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back