ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #14,716 of 16,326
Hello
As I told you before I have an onkyo dp-x1 player that does not turn on and reading previous articles commented that I had to leave it until the battery is exhausted and reloaded.
That is what I did and when I connected it to my laptop, it started charging its battery and windows detected it but with an error with the device driver.

Please if someone could help me because I want to install twrp recovery "twrp-3.0.2-0-Rai_Zin_32.img but windows does not detect it here I attach a catch.

9973625.jpg

You've downloaded and installed ADB & Fastboot, from Google?
http://lifehacker.com/google-finally-lets-you-download-adb-and-fastboot-as-st-1790840830

Those are the tools you use to install the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) file.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #14,717 of 16,326
I mentioned above that I got used DP X1 that has problem with 3.5mm connection. I did a fix where I got L shape connector and using a clear tape attached to the player and now the 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector does not move and is firmly placed in the DAP. I therefore insert my IEMs and HPs to end of the L connector and it does work good. As such further damage to 3.5mm connector of the DAP is prevented as I do not connect and disconnect HPs to DAP each time I want to listen.

I have a question for the people who use DP X1 in balanced mode- Does the balance mode of DS X1 a winner compared to SE - that is will that give much better sense of sound stage and improved sonics? I am planning to get balanced 2.5mm ALO cable for my westone W80- hence the question.

Secondly as I have connected kind of extension cable to 3.5mm socket if I connect 2.5mm IEM will that cause problem. I am not going to use any HP with 3.5mm when I am going to use 2.5mm

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #14,718 of 16,326
I mentioned above that I got used DP X1 that has problem with 3.5mm connection. I did a fix where I got L shape connector and using a clear tape attached to the player and now the 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector does not move and is firmly placed in the DAP. I therefore insert my IEMs and HPs to end of the L connector and it does work good. As such further damage to 3.5mm connector of the DAP is prevented as I do not connect and disconnect HPs to DAP each time I want to listen.

I have a question for the people who use DP X1 in balanced mode- Does the balance mode of DS X1 a winner compared to SE - that is will that give much better sense of sound stage and improved sonics? I am planning to get balanced 2.5mm ALO cable for my westone W80- hence the question.

Secondly as I have connected kind of extension cable to 3.5mm socket if I connect 2.5mm IEM will that cause problem. I am not going to use any HP with 3.5mm when I am going to use 2.5mm

I do sense better Bass impact & details, as well as a slightly more open sound stage, when switching from the Single Ended output (using a 3.5mm TRS Plug to 2.5mm TRRS Jack adapter) to the Balanced output on my DP-X1.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #14,719 of 16,326
I do sense better Bass impact & details, as well as a slightly more open sound stage, when switching from the Single Ended output (using a 3.5mm TRS Plug to 2.5mm TRRS Jack adapter) to the Balanced output on my DP-X1.
Thanks
Do you know if you connect extension cable to 3.5mm socket with no HP connected and connect HP to 2.5mm for listening with that cause problems. I am concerned as they say not to connect HP to both 3.5mm and 2.5mm simultaneously and not sure if attaching cable extension would be OK

Thanks

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #14,721 of 16,326
Does anyone know a better way to sync music onto the player? I'm using the X-DAP Link software and I have no idea what songs I already have on the player.

One thing I do on my rooted DP-X1, is use the ES File Explorer Pro app, to transfer files to & from my PC, via WiFi.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #14,723 of 16,326
I do not have my player rooted. Can I use that with default firmware?

Yes, the ES File Explorer app will install (from the Google Play Store) and run on un-rooted devices - but I'm not sure whether you'll have access to the two microSD slots.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #14,724 of 16,326
You don't need root to transfer files from pc. I'm using total commander with FTP plugin (classic two tabs design <3 ) for transfering files from my NAS library.
I tested today poweramp, since I consider onkyo player be rubbish, but sadly the app is using snap dac (atleast it's what I hear, a sound degradation when comparing)...

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #14,725 of 16,326

Myself, I heard a noticeable improvement on my Shure SE846's. More clarity and wider soundstage. However, on my Hifiman HE-400S's I didn't hear any difference (other than it being louder). So, I guess it depends.....

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #14,726 of 16,326
Does anyone know a better way to sync music onto the player? I'm using the X-DAP Link software and I have no idea what songs I already have on the player.

I agree the X-DAP software is pretty weak.
I've been using a FTP app (WiFi Pro FTP) from the Google Play Store to wirelessly transfer files. The files transfer at a decent pace.

I wish the DP-X1 had the option to mount it as a drive letter on the PC so I could use a synchronization program (SyncBack). That method is even easier.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #14,727 of 16,326

1. No, use 2.5 does not guarantee an improvement.
2. With a suitable high SQ 2.5 cable, yes it does improve.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #14,728 of 16,326
The test:

I used a Onso copper 2.5 cable, the improvement is not noticeable.

I used a thicker copper-plated-silver 2.5 cable, the improvement is very noticeable.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #14,729 of 16,326
I agree the X-DAP software is pretty weak.
I've been using a FTP app (WiFi Pro FTP) from the Google Play Store to wirelessly transfer files. The files transfer at a decent pace.

I wish the DP-X1 had the option to mount it as a drive letter on the PC so I could use a synchronization program (SyncBack). That method is even easier.

Back in February, I posted [ https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...d-256-android-5.780642/page-927#post-13286586 ] about MTPdrive, a program that sort-of works to allow the DP-X1 memory cards to be mounted as drive letters on a PC (I'm using Win7 Pro).

The sort-of working part of MTPdrive, is that the program can only map one external drive, in addition to the internal drive - and the DP-X1 can have two external drives installed.
If both microSD cards are installed in the DP-X1, the program will only see the Internal memory - neither card is visible.
So, you have to unplug one of the microSD cards, before the Internal memory, and the other microSD card can be mounted/mapped as drive letters on your PC.

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #14,730 of 16,326
Back in February, I posted [ https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...d-256-android-5.780642/page-927#post-13286586 ] about MTPdrive, a program that sort-of works to allow the DP-X1 memory cards to be mounted as drive letters on a PC (I'm using Win7 Pro).

The sort-of working part of MTPdrive, is that the program can only map one external drive, in addition to the internal drive - and the DP-X1 can have two external drives installed.
If both microSD cards are installed in the DP-X1, the program will only see the Internal memory - neither card is visible.
So, you have to unplug one of the microSD cards, before the Internal memory, and the other microSD card can be mounted/mapped as drive letters on your PC.

Thanks for the tip.
But, to be honest, if I have to eject an SD card to get it to work, I might as well just mount that card on the PC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm just trying avoid ejecting the cards too much, as the SD slots on the X1 seems a like they might wear out easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back