ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #14,612 of 16,326
Few thing's
1. Most of the fastboot capabilities are disabled from the manufacturer, so outside of unlocking the bootloader, and pushing TWRP, they are limited. So pushing the stock rom won't work. (Assuming I read your post correctly, forgive If not)

2. You will need someone to email you a FULL UNTOUCHED TWRP backup, and you will restore using xvortex twrp. You can also buy another one, back it up, restore your broken device and then resell the good one. Onkyo will not repair the device, just very little support for these devices, especially one that has been altered
3. The stock recovery will only work for its updates nothing else.
4. You will have to FULL wipe the internal drive using stock recovery (if you can) reboot and then push TWRP and wipe again (wipe everything, just not external as card of course. The use the backup twrp file. You should be doing all restore, from the external sdcard1 slot, not internal.

Easy fix, just need a TWRP backup (and yes I have done this. I just don't have the device anymore.
Hope it helps, discard if none of this applies

1. It actually lets you flash system fine, but encounters the error halfway as described in the GitHub issue I linked. But you are correct, it doesn't work, it bricks the system, so definitely don't do this!
2. The link to post_12846468 is pretty much a full backup. I would love to restore using TWRP, but TWRP is unable to see the internal storage device! There is no /dev/block/platform, and the dmesg output I included shows that the issue is in the device detection for the mmc0 device (which is the internal storage). This is pretty similar to what you'd see if there is no internal storage in your device at all. Maybe this would be different if there is a newer stock recovery than the one in post_12846468 which could recognize the sd-card though... so still hoping to find one of those.
3. Correct, although it does appear to allow 'adb sideload' of an official (signed) update zip file. Sadly, as it also does not have any access to storage (you actually see errors on bootup that it is unable to access several dirs that should be there under regular circumstances), it is also unable to flash anything
4. Full wipe using the stock recovery is not possible, since the stock recovery is unable to access the device. See 2. Note that I can still do a system wipe using fastboot erase system, and this appears to work fine. Further indicating that the issue is in the TWRP/stock recovery access method for the internal storage.

It would be a good approach if I were able to actually access the internal storage, but in my case I'm afraid it does not apply unless I can find a properly working recovery that can access the eMMC. A bit discouraging to hear that Onkyo has a no-repair policy for these things, they are expensive enough to get support in my opinion... but of course it's my own fault for meddling with it in the first place, so I can't complain too much.

Most manufacturers have some "full flash" method (Moto = SBF/RSD, HTC = RUU, Samsung = Odin/OPS, Sony = FTF) besides fastboot that allows them to fully restore a device (including boot loader, partition tables, etc), but I've not found any information on that for Onkyo, so I am not counting on it. But given I still have fastboot access, and can boot any recovery using it, I'm not quite ready to give up yet - just hoping someone with some TWRP experience and/or hands-on debugging for the DP-X1 boot sequence can provide some new insight(s) or idea(s).

Thanks for your response!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #14,615 of 16,326
Couldn't resist. Just ordered one.

I got the onkyo case and cut a slot for the cards. The issue I have with dignis cases is they have no button cutouts. Makes finding the right ones crazy hard.
IMG_5312.JPG IMG_5313.JPG IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5315.JPG

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #14,618 of 16,326
1. It actually lets you flash system fine, but encounters the error halfway as described in the GitHub issue I linked. But you are correct, it doesn't work, it bricks the system, so definitely don't do this!
2. The link to post_12846468 is pretty much a full backup. I would love to restore using TWRP, but TWRP is unable to see the internal storage device! There is no /dev/block/platform, and the dmesg output I included shows that the issue is in the device detection for the mmc0 device (which is the internal storage). This is pretty similar to what you'd see if there is no internal storage in your device at all. Maybe this would be different if there is a newer stock recovery than the one in post_12846468 which could recognize the sd-card though... so still hoping to find one of those.
3. Correct, although it does appear to allow 'adb sideload' of an official (signed) update zip file. Sadly, as it also does not have any access to storage (you actually see errors on bootup that it is unable to access several dirs that should be there under regular circumstances), it is also unable to flash anything
4. Full wipe using the stock recovery is not possible, since the stock recovery is unable to access the device. See 2. Note that I can still do a system wipe using fastboot erase system, and this appears to work fine. Further indicating that the issue is in the TWRP/stock recovery access method for the internal storage.

It would be a good approach if I were able to actually access the internal storage, but in my case I'm afraid it does not apply unless I can find a properly working recovery that can access the eMMC. A bit discouraging to hear that Onkyo has a no-repair policy for these things, they are expensive enough to get support in my opinion... but of course it's my own fault for meddling with it in the first place, so I can't complain too much.

Most manufacturers have some "full flash" method (Moto = SBF/RSD, HTC = RUU, Samsung = Odin/OPS, Sony = FTF)
Probably Onkyo uses QFIL since it's a Qualcomm based device but without the proper files is quite useless.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #14,619 of 16,326
Hi everyone,

g.

My only soft boot was after upgrading Super SU to 2.82 witch is not completely compatible with android 5 so for people using 2.79 you better stay with it until a fix is found otherwise you will get upgrade application at each reboot so I tried to fix this issue with an app it screw up the whole thing with a boot loop the only way out was to format data in TWRP
But beside this they are some instance when TWRP give 0 mb for internal storage the solution is to change the file system in wipe to fat or exfat and again back to EXT$4. I am pretty sure your issue is more complex but just in case...
Also if you need a twrp nandroid I probably can do one after returning mine to factory reset

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #14,621 of 16,326
Probably Onkyo uses QFIL since it's a Qualcomm based device but without the proper files is quite useless.
Nice find, but as you said I would need to get an actual image compatible with QFIL to use it. In addition, I need to get the device into the right mode to be able to access it using QFIL (which currently it's not, since the bootloader is still OK).

Regardless, thanks a lot for the hint, I will research this more and if I find anything I'll report back.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #14,622 of 16,326
My only soft boot was after upgrading Super SU to 2.82 witch is not completely compatible with android 5 so for people using 2.79 you better stay with it until a fix is found otherwise you will get upgrade application at each reboot so I tried to fix this issue with an app it screw up the whole thing with a boot loop the only way out was to format data in TWRP
But beside this they are some instance when TWRP give 0 mb for internal storage the solution is to change the file system in wipe to fat or exfat and again back to EXT$4. I am pretty sure your issue is more complex but just in case...
Also if you need a twrp nandroid I probably can do one after returning mine to factory reset

Interesting, I think I tried this already by formatting (erase) system through fastboot, but I'll try it again by switching to fat/exfat first, won't hurt to try!

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #14,623 of 16,326
Is there any way for the dp-x1a to play wma files, perhaps via an android app other than the default player that supports this format?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot find an answer to this after searching the threads.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #14,624 of 16,326
Is there any way for the dp-x1a to play wma files, perhaps via an android app other than the default player that supports this format?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cannot find an answer to this after searching the threads.

Most searches for Android and WMA, lead to web sites that recommend converting the WMA files to a more Android friendly format.

However, VLC apparently can play WMA files, and is available on the Google Play Store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc&hl=en

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #14,625 of 16,326
FYI
For Chinese songs listener, I just updated the Netease Cloud player. The new version seems to have solved noise issue and has better SQ (close to Moov). I used balanced mode and 2.5 IEM and enjoyed the app (first time because its SQ was poorly before).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back