ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #14,596 of 16,326
I recently got a Samsung 256GB, and whenever I use foobar2000's ftp to transfer flac into this sdcard, it will keep skipping, for 5-10 secs
I am not entirely sure why this happen, but once I restart my X1A, it will not skip~ looks like something similar to Tidal?

Well, I'd guess it's the DP-X1A indexing the new files? I use Dapper to move mine to cards (also Samsung 256gig) and it tends to slow things down while the dap's index/database updates after putting the card(s) back in.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #14,597 of 16,326
Well, I'd guess it's the DP-X1A indexing the new files? I use Dapper to move mine to cards (also Samsung 256gig) and it tends to slow things down while the dap's index/database updates after putting the card(s) back in.

I have use the Sync function (Sync Added Song) in Settings, it happens afterward. Yes, it looks similar to caching the file or indexing, perhaps i should uninstall ES File Explorer and try again....

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #14,598 of 16,326
Hello Gang...New to this awesome site and high end audio headphones scene..I'm right now acting like a kid in a candy store, thanks to this site lol..!!

So, just recently purchased this DAP and I honestly love the look, features, etc. Currently buying a new set of high end headphones to upgrade from my little weak Wilkins P5, but they will have to do for now..So I finally transferred all my music to the my new DAP and finally listended to a few songs (flac) and noticed zero change in sound from IPad compared to my new Onkyo, rather I'm thinking the iPad sounded a little better..So sort of confused as I wasn't sure what to expect, but definitely expected a better sound than from my iPad...Not too worried as I'm hoping the LCD-X with balanced 2.5 will sound much much better!!!

Would love to hear some feedback/thoughts regarding my little experience with sound from IPad and DP-X1 with the P5's..??

THX

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #14,599 of 16,326
Hello Gang...New to this awesome site and high end audio headphones scene..... and noticed zero change in sound from IPad compared to my new Onkyo, rather I'm thinking the iPad sounded a little better..So sort of confused as I wasn't sure what to expect, but definitely expected a better sound than from my iPad...Not too worried as I'm hoping the LCD-X with balanced 2.5 will sound much much better!!!

Would love to hear some feedback/thoughts regarding my little experience with sound from IPad and DP-X1 with the P5's..??

THX
Maybe you like a sound that's more calm, soft, undefined, but this is only a matter of your taste that you prefer, because the fact is: Onkyo DP X1 is a much better player than the Ipad. Try it with premium headphones.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #14,601 of 16,326
It's been discussed many times,. It's the responsibility of the app developer to fix the stuttering issues on Android based DAPS.

Bigger issue, imo, is that none of the streaming apps, have coded their apps to play though the ESS or AK DACs , versus through the stock Android DAC. It doesn't seem like they are evne trying to fix the issue

My guess is that they feel their customers are not interested in SQ. Right or wrong, I see how that assumption could be made. Streaming is a compromise. If I don't want to get out of bed, I use IFile to copy to local player and then play rather than stream. I figure over time, I will have my favorite songs all on SD cards.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #14,602 of 16,326
Hello Gang...New to this awesome site and high end audio headphones scene..I'm right now acting like a kid in a candy store, thanks to this site lol..!!

So, just recently purchased this DAP and I honestly love the look, features, etc. Currently buying a new set of high end headphones to upgrade from my little weak Wilkins P5, but they will have to do for now..So I finally transferred all my music to the my new DAP and finally listended to a few songs (flac) and noticed zero change in sound from IPad compared to my new Onkyo, rather I'm thinking the iPad sounded a little better..So sort of confused as I wasn't sure what to expect, but definitely expected a better sound than from my iPad...Not too worried as I'm hoping the LCD-X with balanced 2.5 will sound much much better!!!

THX

Not everybody is cursed with picky ears. I had a friend who couldn't ever hear the buzz of a blown tweeter for God's sake. An IPad may be good enough for you. I think the amp is better than in a phone.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #14,603 of 16,326
Pick up a pair of JH Audio Angie's or Rosie's(IEM) and see if it sounds the same as an Ipad. Also you might look into Oppo PM3's(Full Size)
Edit: You may want to check your settings also, (they may not be optimized for the player.)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #14,604 of 16,326
It's been discussed many times,. It's the responsibility of the app developer to fix the stuttering issues on Android based DAPS.

Bigger issue, imo, is that none of the streaming apps, have coded their apps to play though the ESS or AK DACs , versus through the stock Android DAC. It doesn't seem like they are evne trying to fix the issue
In the case of Tidal, which DAC would it be using? Thanks

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #14,605 of 16,326
I've just started playing around with the EQ, and wonder if there are readymade ones that I could load onto the unit, eg bass reducer/ booster etc.
Also today I got about 16 hours of battery life almost non-stop play, turning it on 8am and shutting itself down at 12am.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #14,606 of 16,326
I've just started playing around with the EQ, and wonder if there are readymade ones that I could load onto the unit, eg bass reducer/ booster etc.
Also today I got about 16 hours of battery life almost non-stop play, turning it on 8am and shutting itself down at 12am.
In the main player there is an EQ setting, there are pre-sets and featured. Under presets you can create custom EQ's and under featured there are a number of contrbuting artists EQ settings.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #14,607 of 16,326
In the case of Tidal, which DAC would it be using? Thanks

No one knows, that's the frustrating part. We've only heard from Onkyo support that they didn't develop third-party apps to utilize both DACs, but we don't know if that also means that third-party apps don't use the dedicated DAC at all.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #14,608 of 16,326
Someone a few pages back, did mention that if Onkyo didn't replace the Android audio subsystem driver with one that translates native API calls to use the custom H/W, then 3rd party apps that use the Android audio API, will be using the basic ARM audio DAC.

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #14,609 of 16,326
Hi everyone,

My Onkyo DP-X1 is currently soft-bricked. I wanted to post here to explain what happened, to warn others with this device, and maybe get some help myself. First off I want to thank XVortex for his work on the TWRP recovery for this device, I know the amount of work and effort it takes for someone to provide something like this for free to the community, and this post is not meant to detract from his work in any way. Regardless, this may be an issue that others could face if the hypothesis below is valid (please read on and decide for yourself), so this post is meant as a warning / cry for help.

A short summary of how I got here:

0) Preparation: find XVortex TWRP image, find stock recovery image, find original stock android image
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onk...amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11220#post_12846468
-> OK, nothing can go wrong!

1) Attempt to fastboot TWRP on Onkyo DP-X1: TWRP boots up correctly, but only sees my external SD-card. I am unable to flash anything.
2) Attempt to flash TWRP as recovery to DP-X1; maybe a native recovery will have more luck accessing my internal storage? No dice, same exact behaviour. Note that at this point I'm getting worried, so I check my device to see if the system still boots: it does. This means that the hardware is OK and we haven't broken anything system-related so far, even though TWRP seems to think we don't have internal storage at all.
3) Hmm, we have fastboot access - why wouldn't I be able to flash my system using fastboot? Flash initiates, but... FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
4) OK, now my DP-X1 no longer boots into the main OS, I guess we broke system now...
5) No problem, we still have the stock recovery and stock OS, let's just revert everything -> fastboot flash recovery, boot recovery
6) Hmmmm..... the stock recovery doesn't recognize my internal storage either! I can no longer fix my system partition through the recovery...
7) Let's try to reflash the stock image using fastboot - if it only flashed partially then maybe reverting that part to stock will solve it. FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
8) Let's reflash TWRP and try to figure out what is wrong with our internal storage
9) dmesg in TWRP indicates:

<6>[ 1.967271] mmc0: no vmmc regulator found
<6>[ 1.969640] mmc0: SDHCI controller on msm_sdcc.1 [msm_sdcc.1] using ADMA
<3>[ 2.071603] mmc0: unrecognised EXT_CSD revision 8
<3>[ 2.071619] mmc0: error -22 whilst initialising MMC card

No mmc0 device, no /dev/block/platform, no possibility to recover anything.

Google "unrecognised EXT_CSD revision 8 error -22" and you will find several threads that discuss hardware revisions, patches to the kernel, and even hardware issues.

Now, some reflection:

- I should have never flashed TWRP after seeing it doesn't have access to my internal storage
- I shouldn't have attempted to flash system through fastboot with no working recovery nor any proof that I can still recover system using the original recovery

So, obligatory warning for everyone else with a DP-X1 that is trying to root or get a custom rom going: DO NOT FLASH TWRP IF YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE IS NOT RECOGNIZED. DO NOT FLASH SYSTEM THROUGH FASTBOOT.

OK, I screwed up, now how to fix it?

Hypothesis: my device is a recent revision of the DP-X1 (december 2016). Maybe there is a newer eMMC used in this revision, and maybe I had a newer stock recovery than what we found in this thread? Maybe the current TWRP release is not compatible with this eMMC revision, and neither is the current stock recovery dump in this thread?

In that case:

a) Has anyone else with this device and a recent revision - or the DP-X1A - had similar issues as me with TWRP?
b) Can we confirm this is a software issue, or did I somehow cause this problem by fastboot flashing system? (In which case, I have no explanation why TWRP failed to recognize my internal storage initially, while the device still booted and worked fine)
c) Does anyone have a newer version of the *stock* recovery than the one posted by ?
d) Let's build a newer TWRP, maybe we can somehow fix this issue with some kernel settings or a newer module?
e) Can we get an original system image (or any image) that works when fastboot flashing it to system?

For (a) and (c) I'm hoping to get some help from the community here. I don't expect anyone to try (b) or (e) as that may leave them in the same situation as me, unless they have access to more resources (i.e. JTAG and/or access to internal hardware)

I've already started on option (d), but have not managed to get a working build of the original image - my TWRP boots up to the initial screen (where you have to confirm you want to allow writes to storage), but then the screen goes black. No adb access, no logcat output, no way to debug other than repeatedly rebuilding with different configurations and hoping one will work. I've found some indications that there may be serial output going to the 3.5mm jack, so I ordered a UART-3.5mm cable with the (small) hope I can debug my custom TWRP like this.

Please read about my issues with building TWRP here: https://github.com/xvortex/TWRP_Rai_Zin_32/issues/1 . I'm hoping XVortex will see this message (either here or on GitHub) and may be able to offer some advice or help.

I have a lot of experience with Linux, some experience with Android (mostly HTC, Moto & Sony phones, each with their own bootloaders and peculiarities), but almost no experience with this particular device or it's bootloader.

If you've read this far, thank you for your time. If you have any helpful suggestions, please let me know here or in the GitHub thread and I will gladly try them. If you want to discuss this live, we can meet up on IRC or Slack or Skype or whatever.

If none of this leads to anything, the only option I see is to return my device to Onkyo for a repair. I have no idea on their policy, or what it would cost me to ship/repair the device, so I'm exhausting other options first.

Thanks for reading.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #14,610 of 16,326
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading.

Few thing's
1. Most of the fastboot capabilities are disabled from the manufacturer, so outside of unlocking the bootloader, and pushing TWRP, they are limited. So pushing the stock rom won't work. (Assuming I read your post correctly, forgive If not)

2. You will need someone to email you a FULL UNTOUCHED TWRP backup, and you will restore using xvortex twrp. You can also buy another one, back it up, restore your broken device and then resell the good one. Onkyo will not repair the device, just very little support for these devices, especially one that has been altered
3. The stock recovery will only work for its updates nothing else.
4. You will have to FULL wipe the internal drive using stock recovery (if you can) reboot and then push TWRP and wipe again (wipe everything, just not external as card of course. The use the backup twrp file. You should be doing all restore, from the external sdcard1 slot, not internal.

Easy fix, just need a TWRP backup (and yes I have done this. I just don't have the device anymore.
Hope it helps, discard if none of this applies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back