ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #14,387 of 16,326
  Strange because no play through folders option seems to be available for in DP-X1A player, and it stops at the end of each folder so I may have to pull over to resume if using it on my car stereo. I'll try the Pioneer software for it though

You may be able to select the Play All (Play Through) feature, from the directory with the folders that contain the Tracks.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #14,389 of 16,326
Hi. I recently got an iPhone 7. I'm considering buying a mini USB-lightning adapter and mini USB cable and connecting my iPhone to my DP-X1, both so I can use good headphones to listen to the music on my iPhone and so I can take advantage of the superior DAC in the DP-X1.

Has anyone here tried this, and does anyone know if it would work? At the end of the day, I can buy some cheap cables and adapters and give it a shot for less than $20, but I figured I'd check in and see if anyone had already tried it.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #14,390 of 16,326
Hi. I recently got an iPhone 7. I'm considering buying a mini USB-lightning adapter and mini USB cable and connecting my iPhone to my DP-X1, both so I can use good headphones to listen to the music on my iPhone and so I can take advantage of the superior DAC in the DP-X1.

Has anyone here tried this, and does anyone know if it would work? At the end of the day, I can buy some cheap cables and adapters and give it a shot for less than $20, but I figured I'd check in and see if anyone had already tried it.

Thanks!

Onkyo has not delivered a firmware update, that will allow the DP-X1 to be used as a USB connected DAC.
It can access files on USB connected Flashdrives / Harddrives, and it can send music via USB to an external DAC, but it can't act as an external DAC.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #14,391 of 16,326
  Thank you for that. I am using pioneer player on my DP-X1A and like it much more than onkyo player, was looking for the latest version ....

Same here! It is amazing to have both music players installed because it allows you to have two sets of music going. Even though I use both, I much prefer the Pioneer music player. There are some key features in the Onkyo player such as playlist creation that are not as flushed out as on the Pioneer. 

The Onkyo Music app has only 2 advantages over the Pioneer Music app I have found so far:
1. Better music visualization UI - the circular player is seriously cool looking.
2. Bigger EQ interface and preloaded EQs - makes creating EQs a lot easier. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #14,392 of 16,326
Hi Snafu1 I go to do the same,  upgrade IBASSO with Onkyo. So you confirm the SQ is good at least as DX80. I had sad experiences with AK 70 and and FiiO X5 III really scared now ...

Hi there could you please elaborate a bit more as to why you're disappointed with ak70 and fiio x5 iii? As i am literally deciding among these three which one to get and cant make up my mind....I want to use with it shure se846 and listen to tidal / spotify thanks

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #14,393 of 16,326
I can tell u that ui wise the onkyo is on another level when compared to fiio , the fiio ui has promise but not quite there yet. Sound wise I think it depends on your headphones. For my U12 which are very musical the onkyo is a much better match because it shows all the attributes of my IEMs. The fiio is very musical and would be a better match for IEMs on the more neutral and analytical side.
The onkyo shows details in a more present way and separates and layers better specially when used balanced. Separation also goes to the onkyo as well as imaging and soundstage size in every direction.
Never heard a AK other than the 240 and was not impressed sound wise.TAS just reviewed the 70 and they liked it as much as the onkyo.
I have never heard the shure but for what I have read about them their tonality is similar to the U12 so in my opinion the onkyo is a better match

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #14,395 of 16,326
To add on, I find the Fiio X5 III to be much laggier than the DP X1A

Agree. But still hoping for software upgrades. After last upgrade my not lag anymore. Annoying only slow CPU and clipping when jump from one song to another.
Sound-wise after some EQ sounding not worse than DP X1, especially with HR files. Without EQ DP X1 and X5 III sounds for my ears boring and dull.
DP X1 is sharper (digital) and analytical, X5 III more musical (analogue).

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #14,396 of 16,326

Agree. But still hoping for software upgrades. After last upgrade my not lag anymore. Annoying only slow CPU and clipping when jump from one song to another.
Sound-wise after some EQ sounding not worse than DP X1, especially with HR files. Without EQ DP X1 and X5 III sounds for my ears boring and dull.
DP X1 is sharper (digital) and analytical, X5 III more musical (analogue).

Ah I see, I tested the X5 when it was launched. I'll still stick with the DP X1A somehow :)

As for my questions, I did a quick test in the shop just now.

Videos: You will need to get your app despite the specs sheet saying that videos are supported; there is simply no native app to help with video playback. Can't fault it though

ReplayGain: There is still no such options in the native player app so I still am unsure (not helping that I forgot to bring the SD card with music just now :D )

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #14,398 of 16,326
@che15 thanks for the input bro I think i am leaning more towards the dp-x1....I have always wanted to own the 240 though lol but too expensive.

You would be getting a much better DAP for the money with the DP-X1. Ive listened to the 240 and it does sound good but no where near 2k good. My Opus#1 sounds better and is a all around better than the AK240. Ive had my Onkyo for over a year now and still think its a great player.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #14,399 of 16,326
Quote: Onky

Ah I see, I tested the X5 when it was launched. I'll still stick with the DP X1A somehow :)

As for my questions, I did a quick test in the shop just now.

Videos: You will need to get your app despite the specs sheet saying that videos are supported; there is simply no native app to help with video playback. Can't fault it though

ReplayGain: There is still no such options in the native player app so I still am unsure (not helping that I forgot to bring the SD card with music just now :D )

Videos - you can download any player - VLC for example.
Gain - low/high settings  - you can find it in Android sound settings - already incorporated. Onkyo have 4 gain settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back