Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jun 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #272 of 1,608
FYI, I had this player and the wifi was very weak. With a TOTL router it would have signal issues even 4 or 5 feet away. Walking to the other side of a large room resulted in disconnects. Often after it disconnected I would have to reenter my login credentials. Perhaps it was just my unit, but thought I should share the experience, especially for those who intend to use Tidal.

Thank you. Does anyone else have the same experience? That would be deal breaker for me.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #273 of 1,608
No they are not identical...................Besides the DAC and the amp chips which are publicized, there are loads of chips resistors and other hardwares in there for tuning the sound which are not publicized. That results in the different sound signatures of the two.

Well I am not sure about that. It would make sense due to the price difference but I have never seen any exact statement what is really different between the two. Also, it may not make sense for Onkyo/Pioneer to make two only slightly different DAPs as the costs of mass production of one "better" DAP may be lower.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #274 of 1,608
On the pictures they show exactly the same internals...

Can you show us the pictures please? Have never seen pictures of internals of these two, would be interesting if there are some of those. Thx!

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #275 of 1,608
Well I am not sure about that. It would make sense due to the price difference but I have never seen any exact statement what is really different between the two. Also, it may not make sense for Onkyo/Pioneer to make two only slightly different DAPs as the costs of mass production of one "better" DAP may be lower.

They DO sound differently no doubt, that's officially announced (positive I've read that somewhere but can't quite recall where) and also from personal experience. Software tuning is possible but releasing two products which only differs from software tuning is quite impossible...........that means just like apply EQ and say that's something new.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #277 of 1,608
So the latest firmware update.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #279 of 1,608
Weird. I'm on 1.05 in the DP-S1 and Tidal and Deezer are listed in the Online section of the main screen under Library.

If it is not there maybe you should contact Pioneer.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #280 of 1,608
Weird. I'm on 1.05 in the DP-S1 and Tidal and Deezer are listed in the Online section of the main screen under Library.

If it is not there maybe you should contact Pioneer.
Mines is DP-S1 on 1.05 / 17522AE0, no tidal found on online section.

Edit: one more problem found, the source converted to 32bit when USB out, no native USB out supported yet.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #281 of 1,608
IMG_0082.JPG Ya same version I have.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #284 of 1,608
The case is the official Onkyo case. Got it from eBay for $55. Model is DPA-PLS1. I like it over the premium 3rd party $75 and $100 cases because it holds the wheel down which is slightly wobbly to the touch.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #285 of 1,608
Just a thought. Maybe the firmware from Onkyo website, though same version, might have Tidal and Deezer apps. Worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back