Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #166 of 401
I got these last week. They were 199€ at discount :astonished: what a bargain!

My other headphones are Fidelio X2:s ja I have to say that Onkyo's are a step up definitely (well maybe not for drumm'n'bass or some other electronical music).
My problem is also ears touching the drivers. I guess I have to contact Onkyo if the pads are removable. I tried removing them gently with no success. I don't want to brake them.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #167 of 401

My other headphones are Fidelio X2:s ja I have to say that Onkyo's are a step up definitely (well maybe not for drumm'n'bass or some other electronical music).
My problem is also ears touching the drivers. I guess I have to contact Onkyo if the pads are removable. I tried removing them gently with no success. I don't want to brake them.
For electronica the closed H900M is quite nice, but being closed it isn't as airy and maybe gives up a touch of refinement, but really not much. I'm glad I have the H900M as I had to sell the A800 due to a financial crunch.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #168 of 401

I did something similar to this and it ended up working. So basically putting a thin coat of cotton around the inside of the pads where there is a neat space almost meant for it. I also reduced the clamping quite a lot by just bending the headband quite aggressively. With both of these I can happily say that these are really comfy headphones now. Can wear them for hours without problems.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #169 of 401
For electronica the closed H900M is quite nice, but being closed it isn't as airy and maybe gives up a touch of refinement, but really not much. I'm glad I have the H900M as I had to sell the A800 due to a financial crunch.

I have to keep that in mind. I mostly listen to different styles of rock and melodical metal and found Fidelio X2:s too bassy for my liking. A800:s are more suited for those genres in my opinion.

I did something similar to this and it ended up working. So basically putting a thin coat of cotton around the inside of the pads where there is a neat space almost meant for it. I also reduced the clamping quite a lot by just bending the headband quite aggressively. With both of these I can happily say that these are really comfy headphones now. Can wear them for hours without problems.

I certainly have to try that too. It still would be good to know if the pads are replaceable if they worn out.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #171 of 401
For your information, the earpads can be removed. I just turned them counterclockwise and they popped open.
I figured that had to be the case as my contact at Gibson Innovations told me the pads were replaceable, thanks for confirming how that is done for those who are interested.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #173 of 401
I wonder if someone has compared A800 to AKG K712 Pro?
Not likely as the A800 doesn't get the exposure it deserves. A friend of mine has the A800 and used to own the K812 so I will ask if he has the K712 also. Cheers.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #174 of 401
Not likely as the A800 doesn't get the exposure it deserves. A friend of mine has the A800 and used to own the K812 so I will ask if he has the K712 also. Cheers.

I would appreciate that. K712 Pro seems to be quite interesting headphone. In the past I tried K-701 and it was quite nice but lacked the bass and the headband was unergonomic. K712 Pro seems to have fixed these issues.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #175 of 401
I would appreciate that. K712 Pro seems to be quite interesting headphone. In the past I tried K-701 and it was quite nice but lacked the bass and the headband was unergonomic. K712 Pro seems to have fixed these issues.
Will do, off to ask him now.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #176 of 401
I've been looking for open headphones to upgrade my cheap Superlux HD330's and I was planning on ordering and trying the HD600's next week for 290€. However, a Finnish tech store has the Onkyo A800's on sale for 200€ next week. There's not much information about these but the little there is seems surprisingly positive so I'm planning on going to pick up a pair since it's a pretty significant sale. The specific model is A800B and I can't find any information about what that means. Do you have any idea? The normal price is the same at 400€. Also, how is the amping with these? I have a Schiit Modi 2U and next week I'm getting a Magni 2U. They should power the A800's easily but I'm wondering if the sound improves when you pair it with better DAC's and amp's. Thanks in advance!

Where?!? Will they deliver to Estonia? ME WANT IT!

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #177 of 401
My friend does have the K712 and A800. He will try to get some thoughts when possible. Summer is a tough time as people often travel, but hopefully soon he is able to offer some thoughts.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #178 of 401
Where?!? Will they deliver to Estonia? ME WANT IT!

It was at discount in Gigantti. Not anymore though but it may be in future also. I guess zemroid got his pair of A800B:s from there also. I'm not sure if they deliver to Estonia.

My friend does have the K712 and A800. He will try to get some thoughts when possible. Summer is a tough time as people often travel, but hopefully soon he is able to offer some thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #180 of 401

Users who are viewing this thread

Back