Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016
May 2, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #152 of 401
I just ordered the A800s for $415 shipped from Accessory Jack. I hope to have some impressions ina week after they arrive:wink:

Thank you Sonic Defender for bringing these to our attention and for all of your patience.

May 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #153 of 401
I just ordered these from Accessory Jack for $415 shipped. I should have some impressions in a week after they arrive :wink:

@Sonic Defender Thanks for bringing these to our attention and for all your patience:wink:

May 2, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #154 of 401
I know I loaned my A800 to an experienced member and he also rather liked them and has decided to buy the A800. I look forward to your impressions and I hope you like the A800 as much as I do. Cheers.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #155 of 401
@Sonic Defender
@aafanatic

A big thank-you to both of you for being early adopters of the A800 and taking the time to review them. I took the plunge and imported a set from AccessoryJack based on your recommendations and I can honestly say this my favourite set of headphones ever.

I'll post up some impressions soon, but these are like someone took an HD600 and added some actual sub-bass.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #156 of 401
Pure Luxury! Like a Bentley Continental.
Glad you went for it. It's hard to believe that they are just sitting there within reach and so few have tried. These are King Krushers:wink:

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #157 of 401
@Sonic Defender
@aafanatic

A big thank-you to both of you for being early adopters of the A800 and taking the time to review them. I took the plunge and imported a set from AccessoryJack based on your recommendations and I can honestly say this my favourite set of headphones ever.

I'll post up some impressions soon, but these are like someone took an HD600 and added some actual sub-bass.
Thanks mate, yes I agree the A800 does bring it. It is nice to know that from time to time I help people find great new gear they will love, thanks for the props!

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #158 of 401
I just ordered these from Accessory Jack for $415 shipped. I should have some impressions in a week after they arrive :wink:

@Sonic Defender Thanks for bringing these to our attention and for all your patience:wink:
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, and of course it is my pleasure. Glad you are likewise enjoying them. I also very much like the closed back H900M so if you ever want to try a closed headphone, it is almost equally as impressive (if not equally) as the A800.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #159 of 401
Thanks mate, yes I agree the A800 does bring it. It is nice to know that from time to time I help people find great new gear they will love, thanks for the props!
I've been looking for open headphones to upgrade my cheap Superlux HD330's and I was planning on ordering and trying the HD600's next week for 290€. However, a Finnish tech store has the Onkyo A800's on sale for 200€ next week. There's not much information about these but the little there is seems surprisingly positive so I'm planning on going to pick up a pair since it's a pretty significant sale. The specific model is A800B and I can't find any information about what that means. Do you have any idea? The normal price is the same at 400€. Also, how is the amping with these? I have a Schiit Modi 2U and next week I'm getting a Magni 2U. They should power the A800's easily but I'm wondering if the sound improves when you pair it with better DAC's and amp's. Thanks in advance!

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #160 of 401
As far as I could figure out, there are two versions of A800, both with the letter B in the full model name: A800B/00 and A800B/11. That's according to Onkyo's website. Not clear what the difference between them is, probably cosmetic.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #161 of 401
As far as I could figure out, there are two versions of A800, both with the letter B in the full model name: A800B/00 and A800B/11. That's according to Onkyo's website. Not clear what the difference between them is, probably cosmetic.
This is just speculation, but perhaps the "B" simply stands for "black" and the double digits designate Japanese and international versions.

Had the ES HF300s for quite a while and really liked them. Onkyo doesn't seem to get much love these days.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #163 of 401
I've been looking for open headphones to upgrade my cheap Superlux HD330's and I was planning on ordering and trying the HD600's next week for 290€. However, a Finnish tech store has the Onkyo A800's on sale for 200€ next week. There's not much information about these but the little there is seems surprisingly positive so I'm planning on going to pick up a pair since it's a pretty significant sale. The specific model is A800B and I can't find any information about what that means. Do you have any idea? The normal price is the same at 400€. Also, how is the amping with these? I have a Schiit Modi 2U and next week I'm getting a Magni 2U. They should power the A800's easily but I'm wondering if the sound improves when you pair it with better DAC's and amp's. Thanks in advance!
That is the same model I reviewed, the B denotes black, which is the only colour option.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #164 of 401
So I got the A800's today. The only problem I have is that my ears touch the drivers inside the pads and it can get pretty uncomfortable. I'll probably get used to it after some time but I'd hope for something to fix it. The pads seem to be attached permanently and I don't think any other pads would work with these. Should I try something like this or does anyone have another potential fix? I wonder if that cotton ball thing would change the sound on these though.

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #165 of 401
So I got the A800's today. The only problem I have is that my ears touch the drivers inside the pads and it can get pretty uncomfortable. I'll probably get used to it after some time but I'd hope for something to fix it. The pads seem to be attached permanently and I don't think any other pads would work with these. Should I try something like this or does anyone have another potential fix? I wonder if that cotton ball thing would change the sound on these though.
My understanding is that the pads are replaceable. You might want to contact Onkyo parts about that, but I'm pretty sure they are removable. I'm sorry to hear that they touch your ears, I have no experience with such a problem so sadly I can't offer you suggestions or fixes. Good luck with things and hopefully it works out. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back