On a mission to like jazz
Apr 3, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,297 of 5,021

(the last one is from the new album)

Microscopic Septet, one of my favorite bands from the 80's and 90's, disbanded (one of the principals moved to Australia), now they reunite twice a year or so. Saw them last night in Smalls, NYC, great show! (Have a fine new album being released of them playing blues-based material, have it on Kickstarter order).
(Seven Men in Neckties is a great retrospective of their albums)

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,307 of 5,021
I would like to join this journey, but I fear I do not have the kind of brain necessary for it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #2,308 of 5,021
I would like to join this journey, but I fear I do not have the kind of brain necessary for it.

Is there a kind of brain one needs? Doesn't have to be all intellectual, it just swings!

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,309 of 5,021
Is there a kind of brain one needs? Doesn't have to be all intellectual, it just swings!

I sometimes think my years of bludgeoning my mind with metal means I'll need an easy crash course for music that's more nuanced. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2,310 of 5,021
Ben Ratliff, who was the NY Times Jazz reviewer/writer for a long time, was also really into metal. Haven't listened much myself (screamo vocals just hard for me to take; someone sent me a list of Metal to check out, but after the 1st screamo vocal I gave up), but I understand the technical prowess and sophistication of some of the playing is up in jazz territory, so there! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back