Official NYC Meet Impressions - 6/11/16
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

DutchGFX

1000+ Head-Fier
Figured it would be good to get this up before the old thread gets flooded with impressions.

Post photos and impressions here :)

Thanks to Tom, the vendors, and all the members, it was a fantastic meet. More impressions to come from me...

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 67
Great as always seeing the fellows I know and meeting new buddies.  As always Tom did a great job with putting it all together and made a great auctioneer.  Here are just a few random photos to get things rolling.

First Meet appearance for Grado's new GS2000e, well received by all who stopped by to listen.

As always, lots of good gear to see, hear and enjoy.

The nice and informative fellows from ampsandsound.

Our Meet leader enjoying a first listen to the GS2000e

Always friendly and informative Dan (MrSpeakers) had the added surprise of a new model coming soon, an electrostatic and it really sounded very good.

DrJazz proved to be another happy Grado GS2000e listener.

More to come......

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 67
Some more photos from the show, as always everyone from oldtimers to first time attendees had loads of fun but the time flew by too quickly (as always).

Mr Speakers' Electrostatic, can't wait to this is in production and available.

Mullet enjoying John Grado's newest creation.

A Spritzer modified Stax amp, Birgir knows his stuff.

Some random shots of headphone addicts having fun and sharing.

One of Tyler's newest additions, the classic AKG K1000, welcome to the club.

Handsome pair of Fostex.....

Excellent sound here with some Stax SR007 doing what they do best.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 67
Here are a few pictures from the meet. I was borrowing my girlfriend's camera, which had a new lens that I've never used point-and-shoot before, so the photos aren't that great, but they're photos, at least. A bit heavy on the LTA table also, but, you know. 

I didn't talk to this guy but he was ready to be photogenic. Thanks guy!

And old unit that Mark just wants back in his bedroom, and the LTA & ZMF Omni LE

Pictures of pictures. Our modest table. 

Will from Airist sees me seeing him. Unfortunately there was almost always someone listening to the amp and though I planned to I never made it over to hear it. 

This system, right here. You can't really see the music server in this photo, but this defines endgame. The owner of this incredible rig was being loaned some Western Electric 300Bs, but didn't want to listen to them for fear of liking them too much. I am terrible at remembering names. 

Nice to see Audio Technica show up, and with a charming system.

Another DC-ite made the northern drive with all of his gear: @gandhisfist and his table-o-headphones and amp/dac units. 

DoctorJazz repping the MZ2 with his Pono and some E-stats I forgot to try. 

ampsandsound has a winner with their new amp. Haven't heard Sturgill Simpson ever sound this good. 

Variety is always welcome.

Variety and the unique. 

A full LTA table, with someone at the end trying out the Stax energizer. 

ECP's beautiful new DAC, with wenge panels. I brought the wenge ZMF & LTA LE over to hang out. Also his new amps, which use the same circuit but one has tubes and the other is solid state. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 67
A few more before I fall asleep at the keyboard.  It was great to meet some new headphone buddies today.  Thanks again to Tom for an excellent meet.

Handiwork compliments of Scott (Mullet)

HeadAmp with their usual display of top line gear.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 67
Enjoying the Classic Joe Grado Signature HP1, I remember when this was a flagship price at $600.  I was an authorized dealer and blew that opportunity......

Just a couple more for John Grado who is recovering from an operation after a Kidney Stone attack.  He is doing well I am very glad and grateful to say.  He had really wanted to make it to the meet.  I was glad to be able bring along his newest addition, the GS2000e which got a lot of good notice.

Thanks again for everyone who stopped by to listen, I very much appreciated their thoughts and impressions.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 67
Please share your thoughts on 2nd gen WA7 Fireflies and WA8 Eclipse if you auditioned them. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 67
Forgot to write the rest of my impressions! This is my second nonlocal meet and given my limited amount of gear (LTA stuff and a few small things), it's always nice to be able to have things most attendees haven't already tried. Also, excellent location (did anyone stay for Wednesday's $50 psychic readings?), if a bit far out. Enough room that even when it was most crowded the noise level wasn't constantly interruptive. Was glad Mark came this time so he could have longer, more technical conversations with those interested, and I'm glad I brought my own listening stuff to show some people newer to the hobby who weren't really looking for something like an $1100+ desktop amp. Doug, man behind those beautiful ECP amps, was very interesting to listen to, and I really liked his transformer-in-a-box power supply. 

Also, someone got some Ethers at a ridiculous price. For some reason at the time I felt like I shouldn't bid, since I effectively have a pair to listen to. But that feeling has vanished. I am full of jealousy. Maybe not full. I am tinged with fleeting jealousy.

Thank you everyone who put the meet together! 

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 67
Thanks Tom for putting together another great NY meet!

Really great to see everyone.  I got a solid 6 hours of talking to everyone and a few moments of listening in. 

I'm looking forward to listening to Dan's final rev of his electrostatic headphones at the next meet.  Very promising.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 67
Jeremiah and I want to thank the event organisers and everyone who came to the meet. Rewarding to hear so many positive comments about the Kenzie and Mogwai headphone amps. Just as a reminder, the ampsandsound 20% show discount is good until July 11th.

Thanks,

Ian White
AmpsandSound 

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 67
Hi-had lots of fun at the meet, and at the diner after the meet as well. Didn't get to listen to a ton of stuff (generally don't find a noisy meet a great place to evaluate gear), but it was fun seeing everyone and checking out the stuff on display. I did find the Mr Speakers E-stat to be of interest going forward, will be curious to hear it when it is finalized. Also was interested in the Grado GS-2000e, which sounded very nice (in the noisy meet environment, can't say I could really know the sound from there), BUT it is about the most comfortable headphone I've tried in a while. I mentioned to some it reminded me (in comfort only) of a Koss PortaPro on steroids, hardly felt it on my head with the felt cushions. Nice
Anyway, some photos
Will try to post some photos...the site didn't allow me, files to big, have to play with them some...

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 67

Currently listening to the Ethers with the Kenzie and I'm swooning. With Yaz. Nick Cave, Kraftwerk, and Rage Against the Machine. 

Awesome group of people yesterday. Can't wait for CT meet in October. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 67
Take 2...

(this space for rent)

I had gotten some requests to bring some stuff, particularly the Zen earbuds and the CEntrance Hifi M8...I actually DID bring them, but didn't hang around my set up that much, sorry to whomever I promised to show those items to. :frowning2:

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 67
I seem to be missing an extension cord for my headphones...it was a braided Norne cable, just lets me go further from my source with my headphones. I'm sure no one has seen them, but if anyone has, I'd appreciate a note...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back