Official Head-Fi Houston Summer Kick-Off Meet: Saturday - May 20th, 2017 @ Jungman Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2017 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

pbui44

Member of the Trade: Like-New Ears
Well, well, well...

I remember several of you were asking about the next Houston meet after last year's meet...and someone had to remind me recently through texting, so here is the Houston meet everyone wanted! :beerchug:

Event: Head-Fi Houston Summer Kick-Off Meet
Where: Houston P.L. - Jungman Neighborhood Library
Address: 5830 Westheimer Rd.; Houston, Texas 77057
When: Saturday, May 20th, 2017 from 10 am (meet begins at around 10:45 am after everyone is done with their setup)- 4:15 pm (power-down/unhooking will be around 3:45 pm and cleanup starts at around 4 pm)

Cost:

Free for everyone, but you must PM me for your info and who else is coming with you. If you do not PM me your info, you cannot come into the meeting room.

Questions regarding attendance or anything else:

Feel free to personal message me (pbui44) to attend or any questions you may have. You will have until Thursday, May 18th, 2017 @ 11:59 pm CST to PM me with your full name, member name, phone number, e-mail address, and what equipment/snacks and drinks you will bring and whoever you intend to bring with you. Also, a table spot for your equipment at this deadline may not guaranteed.

Since the room is not very large, there will be a maximum of those bringing table-top equipment to 18 people to ensure electricity for the rest of the day. There is guest library wi-fi, though it may slow down with a lot of people on it, so you are highly encouraged to bring media. Media includes, but is not limited to, laptop, tablet, phone, USB drives, memory cards with their USB readers, vinyl and their vinyl player, CDs, and SACDs and their disc players. If you are bringing table-top equipment, you are limited to one source space taking up to one 20" laptop, 3 full-sized headphones, 2 full-sized amplifiers, and 1 full sized digital-to-analog converter with amplifiers and DAC stacked on top of one another. Anything smaller than full-sized to be your own personal responsibility to carry, store, and allow for demonstration.

There will be a maximum of 42 people in the meeting room, so you can bring family or friends, though it will be limited to this point, as the room is not that large. Please PM about this as well, as I need to keep the total head count and have their unique ID ready. I noticed that the meeting room has only five wall outlets with 2 plugs on each one, so remember to bring power extension cords and power strips. See posts 2 and 3 below for more information on other things.

Rules and Regulations for the event:

1.) You will be required to put on your stick-on ID tag. If you feel like it will fall off your clothes quickly, then I suggest bringing a LAN yard with card holder for yourself and for others that you may bring to the meet.

2.) Your entire head must be clean and without any skin products, like makeup, or hair styling products in it, like gel, hair spray, or hair wax. If anything, I highly suggest washing your hair, face, and ears within 12 hours before the event. Medication can be an exception, but you must notify me of this immediately, as people may be potentially allergic to something.

3.) Since this meeting room has a limited capacity, every attendee must have their ID tag visible at all times. If you see anyone without an ID tag visible, you must greet them and ask why they are there. If they are there for the event, direct them to me immediately and I will clear it up. We are a community, and we must welcome others by talking to them and addressing their needs, even if they might possibly not be allowed into the meeting room from space constraints.

4.) All bottled drinks must have their cap screwed on tight during all times when not in use. Cups are not allowed. If you spill or drop something, you must clean it up immediately.

5.) If you are eating any kind of food, it must be consumed within seven feet of the serving area, between the doors. If you spill or drop something, you must clean it up immediately.

6.) Please throw away all food and drink containers when you are finished with them.

7.) There is no running or jogging inside the library, even during times of emergency. Be considerate of others.

8.) Whenever you leave the meeting room, please close the door before leaving, as the noise from the event may be audible to the rest of the library.

9.) If you want to change a software/hardware setting or detach/unplug something on any piece of audio equipment please ask the equipment owner to do so. If the equipment owner detaches or unplugs something, they must turn off the attached piece of equipment and leave it off for at least ten seconds (count one Mississippi, two, Mississippi...etc, if you have to) before detaching or unplugging something. This does not include any software or hardware volume settings, but only the volume settings are not included to this rule.

10.) If you are bringing equipment, you must bring a power strip and at least a 10' power extension cord, as the number of wall outlets is limited.

11.) You are not allowed to make excessive noise anywhere in the building, as there are library patrons, library staff, and library security around the building and event attendees auditioning audio equipment.

12.) Do not disturb other event attendees, library patrons, library staff, and library security. If you do, you may be subjected to local, state, and/or Federal jurisdiction at that point, as the library is City of Houston property.

13.) Everyone is encouraged to bring a portable set or tub of wet wipes. I did not require this because of all the different wet wipes out there. Do not bring industrial/medical grade wet wipes (wipes with bleach, wipes that kill hospital-grade bacteria/viruses, etc.), as they have excess liquids on them and the solution can and will be harsh to skin, clothing, and electronics. If you bring these, I will ask that you keep them somewhere outside of the meeting room, like the library front desk.

Sorry, for these rules and regulations, as the event, building, and area requires all of this and everyone in attendance of the meet will all be subject to these rules and regulations. This event will go on for about 6 hours, hence everything above. Anything noted above can and will be subject to change and other information can be added at any time, so keep checking the first three posts of this thread. PM me for attendance or questions. Of course, you can post on this thread as well. :)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 98
About the event, the holiday weekend, and surrounding areas:

Front of the library and drive way with Westheimer Rd. as the street.

Front parking on the side. Try not to park here!

Back parking with plenty of spaces. Park here, unless it is full!

There will be bottled drinks and pre-packaged snacks in the meeting room. Even if these will be just snacks and bottled drinks, please use napkins or plates and clean up whatever falls, spills, etc. We did a great job keeping the library meeting room clean during the last meet, so let's keep that up gracefully.

Also, since this is a public library, I cannot allow alcohol inside the library. However, you can keep a cooler with your alcohol beverages in the trunk of your car. Whatever you do with them is strictly your business, so I will stop there. I will highly recommend that a designated driver come with you, so that everyone is safe and worry-free about that. There will be plenty of snacks and drinks for those designated drivers. :)

The Jungman library parking lot is much larger than the Looscan one, but it is in the back, so when you drive in, park in the back, so that the front 10-12 parking spots are left for other library patrons. Also, there are not that many parking spots and there is no overflow parking on the streets, whether it be Westheimer or Augusta, so plan ahead and think about carpooling with other people. The person with the larger vehicle should be the one driving.

There are plenty of hotels around the library, though their price ranges and room/facility qualities vary greatly, so do some thorough shopping for good prices. Also, book your hotel room as early as possible, as this is the Galleria mall area and many people come to our city, which is the fourth-largest city in the U.S., to visit and do their tourist thing.

Here is one good website for hotel prices: http://www.trivago.com/
Here is one good website for hotel, flight, car rental, events, and more: https://www.kayak.com/

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 98
List of audio equipment setups that will be available for audition:

Eddie Current The Studio Tube Amplifier
Hifiman HE-1000 v2 Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear
---------------------------------
Sennheiser HD700
Schiit Modi 2 DAC
Woo Audio WA6 Tube Amplifier
All hooked up to a laptop!
Sennheiser HD800 Dynamic Over-Ear with Anax mod
Audeze LCD-2 r2.1
Yulong D100 mk1 DAC/Amplifier
-----------------------------------
KGSSHV Carbon Electrostatic Amplifier
Stax SR-007 MK2.9 Electrostatic Over-Ear
Etymotic ER-4PT Dynamic In-Ear
Fiio X3ii DAP
Lawton Audio LA 900
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Burson Conductor SL (1793 DAC chip) DAC/Amplifier
Schiit Audio Bifrost 4490 DAC
Meier Audio Corda JAZZ-ff headphone amp
Both on a Laptop running Foobar2K with FLAC music library
Audioquest DragonFly Red USB headphone DAC/amp
Samsung Tablet running USB Audio Player Pro with FLAC music library
Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart Dynamic Over-Ear with stock and alternate pads
Philips SHP9500, Dyamic Over-Ear modded (Shure 1840 pads, customized MrSpeakers leather strap for TX0RP series Fostex, blacked out grilles)
Monoprice Monolith M1060 Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear modded
--------------------------------
Schiit Jotunheim Balanced Amplifier
Chord Mojo portable DAC/Amplifier
Fostex T50mk3's Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear modded with balanced cable
All hooked up to a Macbook!
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC/Amp
Oppo HA-2 DAC/Amp
Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart Dynamic Over-Ear with Dekoni ear pads
Monoprice Monolith M1060 Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear
All hooked up to a Macbook Air!
MrSpeakers Ether C Flow Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear
Questyle QP1R DAP
Elekit 8200 Tube DAC/Amp
NAD 2140 Ampifier
Two Parasound V3 amps with Burson V4 in them
One Parasound Zpre pre-amplifier with V5 Burson
One Parasound Zpre pre-amplifier with V4 Burson
Ibasso PB2 with Muses02 portable DAC/Amplifier
Parasound Zdac DAC
Rane EQ equalizer
Burson Cable+ signal cleaner (???)
DBX Gorack Interface Mixer (???)
Fiio E12A portable Amplifer with different Muses8832
FIO DIY portable Amplifer with Muses01
Hifiman 400i Dynamic Over-Ear with JVC SZ2000 earpads
JVC SZ2000 Dynamic Over-Ear
JVC SZ1000 Dynamic Over-Ear
All hooked up to a laptop/tablet/workstation! (???)
Hifiman HE400S Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear
Sennheiser HD600 Dynamic Over-Ear
Schiit Modi 2 DAC
Schiit Vali Hybrid Amplifier
Magni 2 Amplifier
Chord mojo DAC/Amplifier
Audeze iSine 10 Planar-Magnetic In-Ear
Chord Hugo TT DAC/Amplifier
Audeze iSine 20 Planar-Magnetic In-Ear
Headamp GS-X MK2 Balanced Amplifier
Audeze LCD-4
Audeze LCD-i4
Laptop running Roon
2 Apple iPads
-------------------------------
Stax SR-007 MK2.9 Electrostatic Over-Ear modded
KGSSHV Carbon Electrostatic Amplifier
Gustard X20 Pro DAC
Singxer SU-1 USB bridge
Monoprice Power conditioner
All hooked up to a Macbook Pro!
-------------------------------
Sennheiser HD600 Dynamic Over-Ear
Fostex T50RP Mk3 Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear
Fostex TH-X00 Ebony Dynamic Over-Ear
Mr. Speakers Aeon Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear
No Source!
------------------------------
Mr. Speakers Ether ES Electrostatic Over-Ear
Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Planar-Magnetic Over-Ear
Stax SR-009 Electrostatic Over-Ear
No Source!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 98
Okay, so there are quite a few things that will be different from the last year's meet.

First, it is not at Looscan Library, as reserved the meeting room for children's events. Yeah, this reservation is going on every Saturday for three months. "Man... funk dat'!" :rolleyes:

Second, it is at Jungman Library, which is just several miles down Westheimer. So the old event was east of the Galleria mall, and the new event is west of the Galleria mall. This library has a Beck's Prime with a huge patio right next to the library and a Jason's deli and Houston's Restaurant in walking distance in a nearby mall-strip across the inside street. Oh yeah, there are also a ton of great restaurants across the main street and around the area.

Third, there is twice as much parking at this library (48 non-handicapped parking spaces?), but there is no overflow parking on the inside street, as signs prohibit it. As such, parking will be required on the HPL property, so quite a few people will have to carpool.

Fourth, I will only have pre-packaged snacks and bottled drinks. There will be no prepared foods! You want a hearty meal, go next door or drive with someone. :rolleyes:

Fifth, there are a LOT of restaurants and cafes within the Westheimer-Fountainview-Richmond-Chimney Rock block that the library is on and near, just in case the restaurants around the library are not to your liking.

That should be it for now, so let me know about anything else.:)

Edit: Forgot that Beck's Prime has a huge patio between its building and the library parking lot. This will probably be our dining area, whether you buy from Beck's prime or not. :beerchug:

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 98
I can make it as far as I know.  I'll bring the following:

HD600 w/ rear foam removed
HE400S w/ various pads
Modded T50RP Mk2

Schiit Magni 2
Schiit Modi 2
Schiit Vali

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 98
Okay, so four people have reserved table-top spots so far. Unless you specified changes, I just cut-and-paste what you brought last year, so let me know about any changes via post or PM.:)

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 98
snellemin, why not bring your entire beast of a sound rig?

I mean, it will be on you to look over that thing, but you do have incredibly good sounding stuff and we can use your tabletop space for someone else. If you are having second thoughts, don't make me add a poll about it to the thread. :wink:

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 98
Yea, I will figure out a way to bring two rigs.  

NAD 2140 Amp
One Parasound Zpre with V5 Burson
One Parasound Zpre with V4 Burson
Ibasso PB2 with Muses02
Parasound Zdac
Rane EQ
DBX Gorack
Fiio E12A with different Muses8832
FIO DIY with Muses01
Hifiman 400i with JVC 2000 earpads
JVC SZ2000
JVC SZ1000
etc 
things can change

Gonna see if I can find a Elear owner to come.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 98
Yea, I will figure out a way to bring two rigs.  

NAD 2140 Amp
One Parasound Zpre with V5 Burson
One Parasound Zpre with V4 Burson
Ibasso PB2 with Muses02
Parasound Zdac
Rane EQ
DBX Gorack
Fiio E12A with different Muses8832
FIO DIY with Muses01
Hifiman 400i with JVC 2000 earpads
JVC SZ2000
JVC SZ1000
etc 
things can change

Gonna see if I can find a Elear owner to come.

As long as those two setups stay on the racks, you will be fine. Just a reminder: you will have only half-a-table (3'x2'?) of space. Oh yeah, I will not be helping you bring those setups inside the room, so plan ahead. :wink:

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 98
As long as those two setups stay on the racks, you will be fine. Just a reminder: you will have only half-a-table (3'x2'?) of space. Oh yeah, I will not be helping you bring those setups inside the room, so plan ahead.
wink.gif

If anything, I'll just bring in my cassette walkman and call it a day.....
gs1000.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 98
  If anything, I'll just bring in my cassette walkman and call it a day.....
gs1000.gif

Memories.  I lived in Hawaii from 80 to 85 and owned some serious walkmans from the Japanese departmant stores there.  Most memorable was the Sony Wlakman 10, about the size of the cassette case itself and had great run time on just one AA.  Brushless disc motor, DC to DC step up for the single AA, years ahead of everyone else.  Aiwa and Panasonic had some pretty nice models too.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 98
  Memories.  I lived in Hawaii from 80 to 85 and owned some serious walkmans from the Japanese departmant stores there.  Most memorable was the Sony Wlakman 10, about the size of the cassette case itself and had great run time on just one AA.  Brushless disc motor, DC to DC step up for the single AA, years ahead of everyone else.  Aiwa and Panasonic had some pretty nice models too.

Ah Yes.  I had the all blue Sony WM10 walkman in the 80's and in the 90's had a Aiwa walkman.  

Currently I have these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back