Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
Dec 30, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #407 of 533
NuForce HEM8 review

My system for replay at home – dedicated netbook loaded with Logitech Media Server software, external 5TB drive full of FLAC.  Wifi.  iPhone 6s. 

My system for replay on the go – iTunes downloaded music.  iPhone 6s.

My exposure to headphones is fairly limited, though I own/have owned:

1. Westone UM1 (single BA, owned today)
  2. Shure 110 (single BA, owned today)
  3. Allesandro MS-1
  4. Beyerdynamic DT880
  5. Grado SR60i – highly modified (reshelled, recabled, new headband etc)
  6. Panasonic on ear noise reduction (were a gift – gave them away later)
  7. Sennheiser Momentum on ear
  8. Sennheiser HD598 SE
  9. NuForce NE-770X (bought 2 years ago for both my kids)
  10. NuForce NE-800M (bought this Xmas as a gift for my wife) – I thought these were nice, but she is blown away by them.  Her comment was “these are amazing earphones!”

I have played around with headamps a little:

1. Fiio X5 (owned today)
  2. Matrix Mini (owned today)
  3. Deckert ZH-1
  4. Cayin HA-2
  5. Millett Max Hybrid (FallenAngel built)

This time around I was looking for something to improve my portable listening, AND work directly from my iPhone 6s.  I have done the portable headamp stacking thing, and wanted something much simpler.

On the go I listen to iTunes music downloaded by my family.  I suspect it is 256-320 kps fidelity.  At home I use iPeng to stream my FLAC collection (including some hi rez up to 24/192) to my iPhone/iPad so I have a LOT more music at home than on the go.

It is important to me that the same set of in ear phones (I have discovered I like them after a few years with the UM1 Westones, the Shures never fit that well for me) work for lower resolution listening on the go, and some listening at home.  The UM1’s I have always felt got the mids right, and could not deliver strong bass or a lot of detail in the treble end of the musical spectrum.

I have long wondered about higher end Westones with multiple balanced armature drivers, but the $ usually shoo’d me on my way.

I picked these NuForce HEM8’s up used, when I saw them lightly used at ½ retail on Canuck Audio Mart.  I bought them as a gift from my wife for Christmas, and dutifully wrapped them up a few weeks ago.  THAT sucked waiting!

They have 4 balanced armatures.  Lots of good technical write ups out there on them.  I will stick to my subjective impressions.

Fit is critical.  I continue to go back and forth between Comply tips (my usual fav for the Westones) and a set of large silicone tips.  I really like how fast the silicones can be put in and removed to have a quick chat with someone vs the comply foams.  I find both deliver good sound when properly seated.  I bought a set of medium comply to round out the small and large included with the HEM8’s.  I specifically bought red, so I can MUCH more easily put them in the correct ear (ie the right tip is red, the left tip is black – WAY easier to visually identify on a plane in the dark!).  I find the silicone tips deliver about 85% of the sound of the Comply, and are 100% easier to pop out for a quick conversation vs reseating the Comply tips every time.

The intended use for my iems is music on the go, and sometimes at home.   1-2 times a week I have a ~45 minute train ride into the city followed by a 15 minute walk each way when I go to that office.  1-2 times a month I end up on flights in the 3-5 hour one way range.  I do enjoy a good set of iems as a result – I used to use over ear headphones more, but when on the plane the iems just work better for me as they help a lot for isolation.  On iPhone/iTunes I tend to listen at 30-50% volume, for iPeng it seems lower, more like 25-40%.

Portable playlist (bear in mind as you judge me that this collection is technically not mine, I share my apple ID with my kids so I have access to their tunes!)
  • Lily Wood and The Prick - Prayer in C – Robin Schultz remix
  • Foster the People – Pumped up Kicks
  • Lorde – Ribs
  • Sugar – Robin Schultz featuring Francesco Yates
  • First Aid Kit – Wolf
  • Fifth Harmony – 24/7
  • Desiigner – Panda
  • Don’t – Ed Sheeran Don Diablo remix

• Lily Wood and The Prick - Prayer in C – Robin Schultz remix – opens with a driving drum beat that the HEM’s again take well.  Then synth layers roll in, and bongo’s emerge.  Rhythmically complex at times, and always driving forward this song is another one that is hard to stay still to!  Female vocals always do it for me, and the reverb is a fun touch.  By 1:30 the high hat joins in and the beat sticks to a simple 4/4 traditional drive.  Around 2:18 there hits some syncopation in the high hat.  Takes me back to clubbing in the late 90’s!  A soft, fun journey this song, and one that I like to close my eyes to and just float off the daily commute.
  • Foster the People – Pumped up Kicks – layer after layer of sound in this song is revealed.  The HEM stay true to the vocals, but allow me to focus on the drums, bass, or various synths easily.  The overdubbing of vocals is readily apparent, and the song drives along well.  It’s always a fun listen.
  • Lorde – Ribs – it always amazes me to think of this artist as a young kid, horsing around with a mixer in her bedroom and coming up with a tremendous album.  I like the whole thing.  This song has lots of overdubbed vocals, but is a fairly bare recording.  The synth glides while the bass drum sets the tone.  The highs come in to drive the rhythm and her lyrics capture a certain point in life (to me).  My girls like this album too.  On these iems, I find myself attracted to the warmth of the lower registers, and the mix moving around in the soundstage.
  • Sugar – Robin Schultz featuring Francesco Yates – another fun song discovered by the girls and I watching “Friday night dance party” on Much Music.  The video makes me howl, as what appears to be a fake police officer drives around in his car, doing donuts and washing it at a coin op etc.  The bass is driving, the high hats clicking along, the guitar rif simple to follow etc.  It is just a fun song that the HEM’s do well.
  • First Aid Kit – Wolf – The beginning of the song is an open recording that features female vocals, drums and acoustic guitar.  Other instruments fold in as the song continues.  Kick drum thuds nicely, the clarity of voice is quite nice.  Initially the song reminded me of why I like Bjork, it has a certain hauntiness to it that reminds me of her.  It is songs like this that make me want to extend listening sessions!
  • Fifth Harmony – 24/7 – here comes the bass again.  Well fit tips on a set of HEM’s and this song will bounce for you!  It is pure pop fun, and between the bass line and drums, there is lots to keep you moving.  The overdubbed voices layer nicely, and there are a variety of synth chirps along the way to entertain.  Decent soundstage and a driving beat help me keep it light on the train.
  • Desiigner – Panda – a funny song I was first exposed to via a music video show my girls like to watch on Friday nights.  The censored version of the song seemed interesting so we bought it on iTunes.  I accidently purchased the uncensored version.  Not REALLY bad since most of the lyrics are delivered very quickly, but not ideal.  Onto the HEM’s.  A spacious opening of a girl talking, and the 2 vocalists trading quips.  Then the rapping begins and the bass drops.  Good lord, when the real bass drop hits in this song it comes through in full.  I know that I never heard that lowest note on the UM1’s.  The added balanced armatures really pay off for music like this.  It is tight and hits well.  It does not overwhelm the song, and cannot compete with a ride in a car with a set of large subs, but for headphones the HEM8’s do well.  Good clarity of all frequencies, and really easy to get lost in the music.
  • Don’t – Don Diablo remix – oh baby, this ain’t your father’s oldsmobile – the song stays true to the original in some ways, but makes a tremendous departure when the bass drops.  It pounds away, and ALWAYS conjures a movie memory for me – Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting when he is laying on the couch during his “therapy” session and he talks about the certain clubs he goes to, and the “music just owns you” and it is going “bomp, bomp, bomp” and he is waving his arms to the beat.  In this remix, the driving force is the bass, and the HEM’s keep it moving strong.  I don’t feel they are adding anything, and I don’t think they are missing anything either.  It just plays what is there, and this is a tune where there is a lot of it.

OK, so the HEM’s can handle pop and dance music on low rez MP3.  How do they do with FLAC at 16/44.1 and beyond?
Here is a list of 8 tracks from my favorites in Logitech Media Server that I often use to check out a new piece of gear:

• Keith Jarrett – The Koln Concert Part 1 – 24/96
  • Jack Johnson – Inaudible Melodies (Live) – 16/44.1
  • Stan Getz & Gerry Mulligan – Let’s Fall in Love – 16/44.1
  • Herbie Hancock – The Traitor – 24/96
  • Eminem – Without me – 16/44.1
  • Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate – Ai Ga Bani – 16/44.1
  • The Modern Jazz Quartet – Fine – 24/192
  • Bjork – Biophilia – Crystalline – 24/96

1.  Keith Jarrett – The Koln Concert Part 1 – 26+ minutes of sparsely recorded piano in a large hall.  On a good system, I hear this song bloom in a way I find hard to describe.  The HEM’s pull that off.  The piano is a tough instrument to replay due to the wide band it covers, and how the various elements of percussion, sustain, body and how it can be soft or loud.  This tune covers a lot of the different possibilities.  In addition, there is plenty of breathing, moving on the bench, foot stomping, groaning and input from Keith too!  I first discovered this song when I had the Cayin tubed headamp and my Senn HD598’s.  What a spacious, open, lifelike sound that was!  The HEM’s do this justice too, though they are totally different.  I find more impact to the hammers on the strings with the iems, and I don’t feel as though the sound is “captured in my head”.  The mids are clear, and I can follow either hand on the keys at almost any time.  A cool song, and a good demo for the HEM’s.

2. Jack Johnson – Inaudible Melodies (Live) – bassline thrumbing along, rhythm guitar nicely crunched up softly, cymbal work with little ride or crash accentuation – invites everyone – could just be me but I swear the sound guys intentionally highlight the girls in the crowd as they all join in.  When the guitar solo begins, the sustain grabs me for both chords and held notes solo.  I like how the crowd almost sounds like they are in front of you, as you are on stage with Jack.  It works nicely here as the mids are honey smooth, and the mix does not come across as hot ever.  Easy to lose yourself with an extra boost of volume.

3. Stan Getz & Gerry Mulligan – Let’s Fall in Love – full bassline walk, when the sax solo goes, the background play is still pushing forward for recognition.  The tone of the sax is satisfying, it is nicely believable.  The rhythm of the sax is what I like around the 2:00 mark.  At that point the run speeds up but is syncopated in a fun way.  Reminiscent of what I like about Sonny Rollins, especially on Saxophone Colossus. 

4. Herbie Hancock – The Traitor – I played bass as a kid, both electric and stand up.  If the opening of this song does not make your head bob, I think you’re overdue for a wooden box.  It just compels a funky strut if you happen to be in the kitchen grabbing an apple too – I warn you in advance…  As the song builds, respect for Herbie transforms into awe and a deep sense of joy may come over you.  As the Rick James style guitar riffs come on at 2:10 or so, I can see Prince jamming away.  The over the top 70’s synth I could sometimes do a little less with – but if you see it through the peak of that, what remains is a great punchy brass accentuated 2:58 funk jam that never fails to make me grin.  I just cannot listen to that stuff and not want to James Brown.  Look a fool – but the way this song works on these iems is a treat.  All that cord pantsuit fun on the inside, and as corporate as you have to be on the train.

5. Eminem – Without me – a hot bassline and drum beat combo is always a great idea to back good lyrics.  I don’t listen to tons of spoken word to a beat type stuff, but I do have some.  Not all pop either, but in this case a well known song.  The chorus is a seamless synth backed cycle of beats.  The work Marshall does is quick witted offense, and it spits just right.  Dares you to keep up.  The sax loop just sets it up for me.  I liken good rap sound tracks to be like the back setup for a good jazz solo.  A well struck series of repeatable but flourishable (!) walks by the backing tracks in the mix.

6. Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate – Ai Ga Bani – plucky runs with great articulation.  Quick fingerings (be nice) are part of playing violin.   In my youth I remember practicing scales and runs, and needing to build up over time to certain paces.  This song has shifts of pace and flourish throughout, and it all rides so nicely on the underpinning the bass and bongo’s brings.  I don’t know what the lyrics mean, and I won’t offend by suggesting what one of the refrains sounds like to me, though it does make me giggle – OK, I will.  In the vein of hearing “slow motion walter, that fire engine guy” rather than “smoke on the water, and fire in the sky” – this tune features a refrain that for the life of me sounds like “I grow bunny” and that just makes me smirk every time.

7. The Modern Jazz Quartet – Fine – opens with each instrument introducing itself.  Then the build opens to a multi groove that involves both ears working!  Both the sax on the left and the vibes on the right will demand your attention.  Not content to ride in the background the bass vibe penetrates the mix.  The cymbal work is spot on for me.  The open and close of the high hat entrances me.  The guitar work softly at times accentuates the main collaboration of piano vibes and guitar. 

8. Bjork – Biophilia – Crystalline – as a long time Bjork fan (was first attracted to the growling/yowling of the vocals with the Sugarcubes in the late 80’s).  I own a fair number of her products.  Biophilia is as expected an eclectic mix of tunes.  By 3 minutes into Crystalline there are bass drops that plummet.  The HEM8 hold up just fine at 55% volume, and deliver the full spectrum.  Her voice centered, the backing vocals layered (also her), the bells ringing nicely, etc.  It all works well together, but you can easily pick out other parts along the way.  As the song continues it develops (devolves?) into a drum and bass set (full on by 4:20 or so) and there is lots to drink in.  It ends abruptly, but in my mind is a fun little ride through at least 2 musically satisfying approaches.

Summary

Sometimes a piece of kit will present something in the music that you pay more attention to than with other gear.  I am unclear what audiophile term would best bracket the moment.  A great piece of gear in my experience presents a whole.  It does not shine a light in a specific area for missing something.  Once that baseline is established, there can be something about a song with a specific piece of gear, that sounds better than others.  Tone is a thing I go a little crazy for, and often comment on during reviewing equipment.  In the case of the HEM8’s I will say that they do present music as a whole, and allow me to focus on any of the ensemble if I choose to.

I find the HEM’s to be quite neutral, with a mild warmth to the top end.

Highs are good.  A little warmer than neutral to me, and for me perhaps lacking a little sparkle.  I wonder about that sometimes, and then the next track comes on and I hear what I think I should have heard in the last track, so I continue to explore if it is simply neutral and I am noticing more about recordings, or if indeed the treble is a little scaled back compared to the mids.  I have happily lived with Totem Model 1’s and currently use Focal Electra’s so perhaps I enjoy a little more in the highs than some.  Perhaps my occasional want for more, is your relaxed and welcoming amount!

Mids are for me where these truly deliver.  A sense of tone always matters for me.  If a component does not bring to me what the real instrument sounds like on well recorded music, I am not going to keep it around very long.  Here the HEM’s are working well.  I don’t know the inner workings of the Xover around the 4 BA (2 bass, 1 mid, 1 high) but I can say that they come together nicely and are well voiced.  Voices ring true, horns sound right, acoustic and electric guitars sing, and sax delivers.

Bass I find is delivered as it is recorded, without anything missing, or added.  These are not a basshead delight in that they don’t color the bass, but if there is a strong beat you will get it all.  Not just electronica either, during jazz listening sessions they deliver a sense of the instrument with wood tone, body, and fret board sounds clearly communicated.  More than just the quantity of bass, the quality is there – in spades.  Complex bass line with kick drums?  You bet you will hear it all well delineated and laid out for you.

I cannot comment on how they scale with better gear, as I will only use them for iPhone enjoyment at this time, and wanted to keep it to that.

Overall?  If you find these below MSRP, and want a set of iems that will give you what is on your recordings, I think they are well worth a poke.  I’d say jump at a set under $250.  If they fit your ears, and sound profile you won’t be disappointed.

Oh, and don’t blame me if you end up dancing on the train platform with your eyes closed - I often have to actively stop myself from moving when listening to these!

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #408 of 533
First off, give HEM2 a void listen before judging. They're a great pair of IEM.

I like to reinforce this statement 
beerchug.gif

So here's my uncompensated frequency response measurement of the HEM2:

NuForce-HEM2-web.jpg

Follow this link for further measurements for comparisons: http://headflux.de/messungen/ Or this link for my German review: http://headflux.de/nuforce-hem2/

HEM2-1.jpg

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #414 of 533
Different strokes for different folks, but HEM4 was probably my last favorite. I think I'd say I enjoyed HEM8 > HEM2 > HEM6 > HEM4.

I made it cloudily clear that my favourite HEM is the one currently in my ears. That said, the HEM4 is at least to me, special. But I'd happily say that in terms of musicality and absolute enjoyment, HEM2>HEM6>HEM4 is probably how I'd go.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #415 of 533
I made it cloudily clear that my favourite HEM is the one currently in my ears. That said, the HEM4 is at least to me, special. But I'd happily say that in terms of musicality and absolute enjoyment, HEM2>HEM6>HEM4 is probably how I'd go.

Now you just need to hear HEM8 you complete the series!

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #418 of 533
I don't have the HEM8 or the HEM2, but I'm enjoying the HEM6 with the Etymotic green filters and red spinfits.  But I did hear the SE535, and believe those to have superior mids, but the HEM6 better bass.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #419 of 533
It would be fun to hear some of the others, but bought the HEM8's and am unlikely to buy any of the others in the series unless they show up locally, and at a very attractive price.

The HEM8's are the best iems I have heard, but I have not heard a ton of them, nor any customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back