noisy motherboard USB sound
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ScareDe2

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

My problem with my sound quality is inconsistency. It is playing faster or slower and there is some distortion affecting the transparency, dynamics and rhythm. The sound changes all the time.

Recently I have opened my PC case and realised some parts, likely capacitors/inducors, are producing high pitched noises. But they are not leaking and everything looks clean on the motherboard. I have applied some nails polishing on some part and it has help reduce the noises. I dont really care for this 7 years old mobo I have planned to replace it eventually.

My question is, if I apply nails polishing or glue all over the parts I think are noisy, that will indeed reduce the noise, but I do not think it will fix the underlying problem with those noisy parts. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 7
What do you mean by USB sound? You saying you have a DAC plugged into USB and its distorting the audio?

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 7
What do you mean by USB sound? You saying you have a DAC plugged into USB and its distorting the audio?

Hi,

That is just a title to indicate I have problem with my motherboard I am trying to understand and that I am using USB external DAC. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Does the noise correspond to processor activity? You probably have ground loop noise. It's a common issue. You either need a USB isolator or a powered USB hub.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi,

My problem with my sound quality is inconsistency. It is playing faster or slower and there is some distortion affecting the transparency, dynamics and rhythm. The sound changes all the time.

Recently I have opened my PC case and realised some parts, likely capacitors/inducors, are producing high pitched noises. But they are not leaking and everything looks clean on the motherboard. I have applied some nails polishing on some part and it has help reduce the noises. I dont really care for this 7 years old mobo I have planned to replace it eventually.

My question is, if I apply nails polishing or glue all over the parts I think are noisy, that will indeed reduce the noise, but I do not think it will fix the underlying problem with those noisy parts. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks for any help.
Try playing music audio, using the program Foobar2000, with the WASAPI component installed, see if it improves the audio in anyway?

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Capacitors can be broken without showing obvious signs of leakage. Nail polish is not a fix... if anything, you could make things worse, e.g. if the nail polish blocks proper heat displacement. I wouldn't mess with it.

My first guess would be either a somewhat broken motherboard (7 years is not young...), which seems likely, since you are mentioning strange noises coming from the board. Or, a driver issue. You did not mention which system you are running, Windows XP? Just for the heck of it, you could download a "live CD" for Ubuntu, run your computer with it, and check if the sound works correctly with Ubuntu Linux. Just to rule out a Windows driver issue.

But if you are planning to replace the motherboard anyway... why not just do that then?

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi,
thanks for the answer. There are many components in a complex chain such as PC audio system. I wish I could upgrade everything but need to make choice. I have upgraded my USB input board and my RCA cable. It has improve the sound further.

One thing: The more I restart my computer the better is the sound. But I have to log on in windows though, as strange as it might sound like. If I restart the computer without log in the sound suffer from a bit of degradation. Why? I have no idea.

I mean by degradation a small bit of "digital glare", that makes the sound more piercing and unpleasing, less smooth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back