Nobsound tube amp impression
Oct 3, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #16 of 25
  Gentlemen, is this a product worth the $42 I paid for?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Music-Hall-6J9-Vacuum-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-Mini-Audio-HiFi-Stereo-Headphone-amp-DIY-Free-Shipping/32443111524.html

looks like a starving student build, but with TRS input instead of RCA.  It will all come down to build quality, which is impossible to tell from the picture and included info.  SSHM amps can be very good and a great value with a good build and quality parts.  The TRS input makes me feel a bit uneasy, but could be fine.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #17 of 25

looks like a starving student build, but with TRS input instead of RCA.  It will all come down to build quality, which is impossible to tell from the picture and included info.  SSHM amps can be very good and a great value with a good build and quality parts.  The TRS input makes me feel a bit uneasy, but could be fine.

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #19 of 25

should be a different topic maybe, but yes. It is a decent, high power, well sounding headphone amp. Only disadvantage I know, I have one myself, is that it is highly sensitive for interference, for example, keeping my iPhone closer then 50 cm's from the amp, makes that I can hear the iPhone.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #20 of 25
I just got the Nobsound 08-SE and rolled the tubes for JAN 6688s from 1970.  It is a near ridiculous improvement over the stock tubes. Not only is the sound richer and broader, but the power output has to be near triple.  Why?  First of all, if I turn the knob ALL the way down to the end, effectively turning the sound off, the music continues at a reasonable hearing level. 8 clicks in on the knob and I am at well beyond normal listening level.  That could be due to the very real fact that the unit wasn't rated for these tubes...but even more so...old and powerful tubes.  When they say, "they don't make them like the used to" they weren't kidding.

The other thing I notice is that with the stock tubes there was an annoying crackle every now and again. This is gone with these vintage tubes. The ringing when you create any vibration was louder on the stock tubes.  These tubes are shorter and have a BIG fat chunk of metal in the core vs the stock tubes.  Also the posts are more solid.

I couldn't be happier with the investment. 42 bux for the amp plus 24 for the 6688s.  Still under 100. :)

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 25
I'm sold on the amp thanks to you guys.

Quick question, how is the sound quality when playing thru the USB? I don't plan on using bluetooth. Are there any pops, clicks or digital artifacts? I had an MUSE S7 which clipped (or other digital noise) when the eq was engaged. Thanks in advance for any help! James

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 25
I started with one MS-10D and now I have 5 of them.  I don't use the headphones on them directly but to drive the speaker adapter (similar as Hifiman HE Adapter).  This setup has power to drive any headphones I have (more than 30 that include Hifiman HE-6, HE-1000, Audeze LCD-3, LCD-X, LCD-XC, AKG 1000, AKG K812, Grado PS1000, PS1000e, Sennheiser HD800, HD800S....)  I like the sound from this setup much more than several full-size headphone amplifiers.  Specially, the MS-10D has tone control that most headphone amplifiers do not have.

The speaker adapter is easy to build.  I got the information on the internet and built several of them for less than $10 each.

HN

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #25 of 25
I started with one MS-10D and now I have 5 of them. I don't use the headphones on them directly but to drive the speaker adapter (similar as Hifiman HE Adapter). This setup has power to drive any headphones I have (more than 30 that include Hifiman HE-6, HE-1000, Audeze LCD-3, LCD-X, LCD-XC, AKG 1000, AKG K812, Grado PS1000, PS1000e, Sennheiser HD800, HD800S....) I like the sound from this setup much more than several full-size headphone amplifiers. Specially, the MS-10D has tone control that most headphone amplifiers do not have.

The speaker adapter is easy to build. I got the information on the internet and built several of them for less than $10 each.

HN
Hi hoanguyen, would you mind telling me where this speaker adapter info is please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back