Next Astell&Kern: AK480 (and AK500n's successor) wish list & rumors...
Apr 16, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 48
Mm...you think A&K will continue with the present design (a variation of)? It started with the AK 240. Or will A&K come up with a new one? Dear God, I hope it will not be in the hands of the team that designed that ugly Kann.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 48
Yea, I was at Socal Can Jam and was BSing with the reps.  I was joking with them that they are going to announce the next totl at Munich and the gal there was laughing and saying to me what totl dap?  I said just the fact that you are so tight lip I know something is going to happen and she said let see.  I also hear that the next dap will be about the same price as the 380.  Very interesting time.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 48
You want to know what would be rad? If this thing could act like a DAC on par with many high end standalone DACs. Think Gumby or half the performance of the Jotunheim.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #20 of 48
You want to know what would be rad? If this thing could act like a DAC on par with many high end standalone DACs. Think Gumby or half the performance of the Jotunheim.

Or may be instead act as a TOL source, without DAC, only high quality Digital-out, to be used with a TOL external DAC/AMP like the HUGO2. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #21 of 48
Or may be instead act as a TOL source, without DAC, only high quality Digital-out, to be used with a TOL external DAC/AMP like the HUGO2. 

No thanks. I'll take a portable Jotunheim.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 48

I haven't had the chance to A/B the AK players vs. desktop DACs but is there a large gap between the two?  I thought the dual DAC chips in the AK380 would outperform most mid-fi desktop DAC's.  I get the amp section is not up to par compared to something feeding off the mains.   

Debating the Jot recently, so would like to know.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 48
I haven't had the chance to A/B the AK players vs. desktop DACs but is there a large gap between the two?  I thought the dual DAC chips in the AK380 would outperform most mid-fi desktop DAC's.  I get the amp section is not up to par compared to something feeding off the mains.   

Debating the Jot recently, so would like to know.

Now that you mention it, I don't think anyone's made that comparison.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #25 of 48
Crazy right?! I use my AK320 as a computer DAC all the time. I just figure it had to perform pretty well in that function..... Would like to know peoples thoughts on this though who have experience with desktop DACs.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #26 of 48
  Yea, I was at Socal Can Jam and was BSing with the reps.  I was joking with them that they are going to announce the next totl at Munich and the gal there was laughing and saying to me what totl dap?  I said just the fact that you are so tight lip I know something is going to happen and she said let see.  I also hear that the next dap will be about the same price as the 380.  Very interesting time.

That's highly unlikely.. since this is A&K that we're talking about. 
biggrin.gif

But it'll be a welcome change, definitely.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #28 of 48

​I heard something about 6-7 k recently, but we will see. :wink:

very possible...from A&K !   was it a trusted source ? 

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #29 of 48
A company doesn't live on TOTL models, but they still have to sell some to show off their technological "leadership", so I hope they'll keep the price "somehow reasonable".
With the release of AK KANN, I sure hope they got the message about pricing versus competition, since there is now fiercer competition than when they released AK100/120.

6-7k$ is just insane unless they bring actual/measurable/quantifiable new features to justify this kind of pricerange. And for sure they would make even less money than with the AK380, since this would be several months of income in most developped countries worldwide.
Audiophile BS has to stop sometimes.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back